The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suju34
Hi,
Same thing happened to me:frown: I was on my end of second year adult nursing at KCL. Due to my computer fault I lost one of my assignment and was unable to submit it by the due date. It was my second attempt therefore the school decided to withdraw me from the course on the ground of academic failure .I wasnt given a 3rd attempt. Although I have passed everything else my exam, other modules essay and placements.
So now i am thinking of re applying at other university for 2015.
Would be really grateful if you would tell me what you did and were you able to receiver an offer

Wouldn't it be expensive, if you're a 2nd year and decided to re-do the 1st year again, since you're only funded 1 extra year - by which you have to pay it yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EcstaZEEH
Wouldn't it be expensive, if you're a 2nd year and decided to re-do the 1st year again, since you're only funded 1 extra year - by which you have to pay it yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

REALLY??? I was not aware of that. So i have to pay even if I apply for nursing? coz I have no other choice, I have to restart again from 1st yr.
Original post by suju34
REALLY??? I was not aware of that. So i have to pay even if I apply for nursing? coz I have no other choice, I have to restart again from 1st yr.

Can't you just redo the 2nd year?

I've inquired with student finance with it before, and they said 3 years (or 4 / 5 depending on your course) + 1 year are the years that will only be funded.

(I think it will also apply to NHS funded courses).
Reply 1663
Original post by loperdoper
You need to mention resits in your qualifications, not your personal statement. Universities will therefore give you a conditional based on the outcome of your resits.

Ok, I see, thanks!
Can't you just redo the 2nd year?

I've inquired with student finance with it before, and they said 3 years (or 4 / 5 depending on your course) + 1 year are the years that will only be funded.

(I think it will also apply to NHS funded courses).

I dont know. I tried to contact every Uni as possible but I only got reply from few Uni. West London said as this course is NHS funded so there is no option to transfer and i would have to apply for 1st entry. Few other Uni said as I was withdrawn on ground of academic faliure they cant accept my application on the same course :frown:
Do have any other information where I can contact regarding this???
Original post by suju34
I dont know. I tried to contact every Uni as possible but I only got reply from few Uni. West London said as this course is NHS funded so there is no option to transfer and i would have to apply for 1st entry. Few other Uni said as I was withdrawn on ground of academic faliure they cant accept my application on the same course :frown:

Oh my gosh...very hard predicament.

The best thing to do is, contact Student Finance England / or ask the universities if it will have an impact to your funding (which I suspect it will).
Oh my gosh...very hard predicament.

The best thing to do is, contact Student Finance England / or ask the universities if it will have an impact to your funding (which I suspect it will).

I used to only get bursaries, I didnt apply for any loan. So do you think there will be impact to bursaries as well??

I have emailed the Student Bursary.
Reply 1667
Original post by BlueMarlin
Hey everyone, thinking of transferring..

I am almost two weeks into my course (business management) at my insurance university (not going to name) and I kind of hate it here so far. The requirements for the course were 300 points, I achieved ABC (or 470 UCAS points including my AS level and general studies). However nearly all of my course mates achieved E's,U's and D's in their A levels and still got accepted, half of them are dossers who never turn up to seminars, group meetings or even bother to complete the work set. No offence to some of them, but I feel like I am at the wrong Uni and could do a lot better.

The actual city is nice and has a good social life, I just feel like I am more academic and would be better suited at a Russel group university. I also have a very keen interest in competing in rowing, but my current university has limited resources and isn't the best for excelling in the Sport as there are no coaches here. (Sorry if this comes across as snobby, the uni/course just wasn't what I expected and I would just like to go to a more reputable and academic university.

Anyway, I've decided I don't want pay thousands to spend three years at a uni course I hate and was thinking of changing universities. The way I see it I have two options:

a) Drop out of university now, possibly resit A levels and reapply to a better uni
b) Complete my first year and try to transfer to a better uni (starting at year 2)

The thing is I was thinking of applying to universities like Durham, Newcastle, Loughborough, Reading, Manchester etc to do the same/similar course. However a most of these courses are AAB.

What do you guys think I should do?

Is it likely these universities will accept me for 2nd year entry with my current A levels, and performance of my first year?

I'd really like to go to Durham university, if its unrealistic for them to accept me with ABC, they offer a foundation year with lower entry requirements which I am interested in.

Advice appreciated, cheers

Hey,
Sorry this probably isn't the answer you're wishing to get in return to this, but I'm in totally the same situation at the moment except from I'm studying English but the course and subject just really isn't for me so I want to swap to Business Management. I'm at my insurance university with ABB and want to apply for Durham and Loughborough as well- Particularly Durham. I'm heavily considering just retaking one of my exams to knock the B up to an A whilst still studying here and apply via UCAS but I'm not sure I'm actually allowed to do this though. Or failing that, perhaps just dropping out and studying my A Level's again full time. I'm hoping the fact that I'm already at a Russell Group university will be one my side! I was considering emailing/phoning Durham admissions to see what they made of the situation so if I get the courage to do so, I'll message you with their response!

I'd appreciate advice too from anyone as to what to do :smile:

I am almost two weeks into my course (business management) at my insurance university (not going to name) and I kind of hate it here so far. The requirements for the course were 300 points, I achieved ABC (or 470 UCAS points including my AS level and general studies). However nearly all of my course mates achieved E's,U's and D's in their A levels and still got accepted, half of them are dossers who never turn up to seminars, group meetings or even bother to complete the work set. No offence to some of them, but I feel like I am at the wrong Uni and could do a lot better.

The actual city is nice and has a good social life, I just feel like I am more academic and would be better suited at a Russel group university. I also have a very keen interest in competing in rowing, but my current university has limited resources and isn't the best for excelling in the Sport as there are no coaches here. (Sorry if this comes across as snobby, the uni/course just wasn't what I expected and I would just like to go to a more reputable and academic university.

Anyway, I've decided I don't want pay thousands to spend three years at a uni course I hate and was thinking of changing universities. The way I see it I have two options:

a) Drop out of university now, possibly resit A levels and reapply to a better uni
b) Complete my first year and try to transfer to a better uni (starting at year 2)

The thing is I was thinking of applying to universities like Durham, Newcastle, Loughborough, Reading, Manchester etc to do the same/similar course. However a most of these courses are AAB.

Is it likely these universities will accept me for 2nd year entry with my current A levels, and performance of my first year?

I'd really like to go to Durham university, if its unrealistic for them to accept me with ABC, they offer a foundation year with lower entry requirements which I am interested in.

Based from the previous advice of people (here and other students).

I believe Durham would be quite hard to get into, since they have a lot of Oxbridge-level applicants.

Also, no university (I think, but correct me if I'm wrong) accepts general studies. Plus, you also need to consider that if you wanted to go back to Year 0 (foundation year), you'll be paying 4 years + 1 year of your current course.

Try to look for other RG unis that might accept ABC, like Reading. :smile:

You should contact the universities you like to transfer, and please post here what they say :smile:

You should contact the universities themselves as they will all have different policies on how they handle applications from students in your position. Don't worry about contacting them, they'll get asked questions like this every day and they'll give you honest advice to help you make the right choice.

The Foundation Course at Durham is aimed at students who are returning to full-time education after a break in their studies or those changing academic direction (that have achieved the right grades at A-level just in the wrong subjects). As neither of these apply in your case, this wouldn't be an option for you at this stage. Therefore, if you do approach them, you need to ask about direct entry to the course (either year 1 or year 2 entry) rather than the Foundation Course.

Original post by jzola
Hey,
Sorry this probably isn't the answer you're wishing to get in return to this, but I'm in totally the same situation at the moment except from I'm studying English but the course and subject just really isn't for me so I want to swap to Business Management. I'm at my insurance university with ABB and want to apply for Durham and Loughborough as well- Particularly Durham. I'm heavily considering just retaking one of my exams to knock the B up to an A whilst still studying here and apply via UCAS but I'm not sure I'm actually allowed to do this though. Or failing that, perhaps just dropping out and studying my A Level's again full time. I'm hoping the fact that I'm already at a Russell Group university will be one my side! I was considering emailing/phoning Durham admissions to see what they made of the situation so if I get the courage to do so, I'll message you with their response!

You should definitely contact Loughborough and Durham as they'll be able to give you specific advice based on your individual circumstances. As I said, they'll get calls/e-mails like this every day so though it seems daunting to you, it's just a normal request for them. :smile:
hey there,
earlier the week i emailed northumbria university asking if they would consider a formal application from me to transfer there into year 2 from my current university,manchester met.They emailed me back today and was quite rude tbh just saying its full.whats annoying me is that iknow they probably didnt even check to see if it was as they replied 2 days later after i sent the email,and they wouldnt even know if its full because people drop out in the first year meaning their would be at least one place for me?! ive jsut wondering if i should just email back saying all this and try to convince them to consider me because i dont like it here at all and dont want to spend 3 years being unhappy.Im studying business/marketing combined honours btw and wanted to transfer into the same course into second year
Hi

I am currently in my first year studies and considering applying to other universities for a 2nd year transfer of the same course. However, I am struggling to get a reference as the admissions tutor of the uni I am trying to apply to, has told me to get a University reference, which I assume one from my tutor. I have only seen my tutor 5 times with minimal interaction.
I am planning to ask my previous sixth form tutor for a reference, would this be suitable? Has anyone been in the same situation?

ALSO, I have only been in my university for 3 months, and have not had proper exams. So I asked my head of course where I can attain predicted grades at least for the first sem modules, and he said that it would be difficult to get predictions until the first sem modules has been sat and the results are out (Feb). I have to apply by Jan 15 through UCAS, so this would be quite late. Is there any suggestions on what I should do? Please help.

I am really keen on transferring to another university closer to home or just any other university, as I very unhappy in my current university as it is not what I expected it to be.

Thanks in advance guys.
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Hi

I am currently in my first year studies and considering applying to other universities for a 2nd year transfer of the same course. However, I am struggling to get a reference as the admissions tutor of the uni I am trying to apply to, has told me to get a University reference, which I assume one from my tutor. I have only seen my tutor 5 times with minimal interaction.
I am planning to ask my previous sixth form tutor for a reference, would this be suitable? Has anyone been in the same situation?

ALSO, I have only been in my university for 3 months, and have not had proper exams. So I asked my head of course where I can attain predicted grades at least for the first sem modules, and he said that it would be difficult to get predictions until the first sem modules has been sat and the results are out (Feb). I have to apply by Jan 15 through UCAS, so this would be quite late. Is there any suggestions on what I should do? Please help.

I am really keen on transferring to another university closer to home or just any other university, as I very unhappy in my current university as it is not what I expected it to be.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi! I would suggest that you just ask your sixth form tutor to be your reference, since the uni tutors won't know you that well.

I believe and know universities consider this (except for Cambridge, since they require the head of the department to write you a reference). I would also advice that you tell them that your assessments are in February and there is no way for you to get a predicted grade. Tell them that you'll send one of your assessment results, as well as a predicted grade around February time, since they have until May to make you an offer (based on what I know, they they know that it would be too early for you to give them a final grade estimate, anyway. :smile:

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 1673
Hi

Thanks in advance guys.

I heard that the deadline of Jan 15 doesn't apply to transfer students if that might help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by luckbandit
Currently studying Law at Ulster University Magee in 1st year, only applied here as I was too late to apply to Jordanstown. I want to change my course to Law and Politics at a different Ulster University campus which is at Jordanstown. Transfers aren't allowed internally between the 2 campuses, so the only way to get in is to re-apply to year one at Jordanstown. I'm enjoying the course, just not the town as I live too far away from my friends and family. If I do apply and get in, should I finish my first year here? I like law, but I would prefer having politics as a minor subject.
It's up to you - you could enquire as to whether you would be awarded a qualification for completion - a Certificate in Higher Education would be usual - assuming that completion of the year isn't a condition of acceptance by the new uni.

Original post by sophiequarless
The Uni I wish to transfer into for second year doesn't accept transfers for my course. I only want to change University, and continue to do the same course, but the only option I have to do this is to drop out and re-apply for 2015 entry.

If I were to do this, would the Uni I wish to attend look down on me for dropping out, and use this against me? Or would personal reasons justify this?
Not necessarily, but the 'personal reasons' would need to be pretty strong to justify taking the risk of dropping out without a new place on offer.

Original post by suju34
I think this is going to be your problem, especially if you are trying to start again so soon. The question unis will be asking themselves is whether the reasons why you failed last time are still there, and if so they will not want to take the risk of a repeat.

My suggestion to you would be to take some time out, get a job as a healthcare assistant, and review the situation in a year or two. If then you can show that you have done well as an HCA, you may be better able to persuade a uni to give you another chance.

I am almost two months into my course (business management) at my insurance university (not going to name) and I kind of hate it here so far. The requirements for the course were 300 points, I achieved ABC (or 470 UCAS points including my AS level and general studies). However nearly all of my course mates achieved E's,U's and D's in their A levels and still got accepted, half of them are dossers who never turn up to seminars, group meetings or even bother to complete the work set. No offence to some of them, but I feel like I am at the wrong Uni and could do a lot better.

I'd be wary of making too hasty judgements about how academic your course will turn out to be - the first year, and especially the first term, is very much about getting everyone to the same level.

If Durham or similar is your goal, dropping out, resitting and reapplying is probably your best option, provided that getting your grades to the required level is a realistic aim.

Original post by jzola
Hey,

There's nothing to stop you from resitting an A level while at uni, but I'd certainly not recommend it, as the end result is likely to be that you do neither the A level nor your degree course justice.

Also, no university (I think, but correct me if I'm wrong) accepts general studies.
This is not true, even of RG universities. It varies hugely by course, even within the same uni. There are very few unis that have a blanket 'no General Studies' rule.

Original post by tempz2123
hey there,
earlier the week i emailed northumbria university asking if they would consider a formal application from me to transfer there into year 2 from my current university,manchester met.They emailed me back today and was quite rude tbh just saying its full.whats annoying me is that iknow they probably didnt even check to see if it was as they replied 2 days later after i sent the email,and they wouldnt even know if its full because people drop out in the first year meaning their would be at least one place for me?! ive jsut wondering if i should just email back saying all this and try to convince them to consider me because i dont like it here at all and dont want to spend 3 years being unhappy.Im studying business/marketing combined honours btw and wanted to transfer into the same course into second year
You don't know this, and in any case, it's their decision. If they're full, they're full. It may be that they take more people in to first year on the assumption that some will leave, so that by second year their numbers are OK for the resources they have. I do hope that when you emailed them you did leave some spaces between the end of one sentence and the beginning of another :smile:

Hi

Thanks in advance guys.
If the uni you are applying to wants a reference from your current uni, that is what they mean. Seeing your tutor five times already is about par for the course, if not better, by uni standards.

As for predicted achievement at the end of your first year, this will have to be based on any course work that you do, whether it counts towards your final grade or not, and your tutor will have access to this information.

Hi! I would suggest that you just ask your sixth form tutor to be your reference, since the uni tutors won't know you that well.
But he's been specifically advised to get a uni reference, so this is not good advice, I'm afraid.

I believe and know universities consider this (except for Cambridge, since they require the head of the department to write you a reference). I would also advice that you tell them that your assessments are in February and there is no way for you to get a predicted grade. Tell them that you'll send one of your assessment results, as well as a predicted grade around February time, since they have until May to make you an offer (based on what I know, they they know that it would be too early for you to give them a final grade estimate, anyway. :smile:

I hope this helps :smile:

Hey thanks for the help. I have emailed my head of course and he suggested that cause the application doesn't have to be in until Jan 15, I can ask my referee/tutor to produce my reference closer to the time, thus giving us more interaction and he will be able to give a more infmomative reference.
Reply 1677
Hi,

I am currently in university, but not able to pay my accommodation fees, so I have to take a year off to sort out my student finance.
They said that I will have a guaranteed place when I come back, but will have to re - start my course again from first year.
I don't really enjoy the course, and want to go to another university..
So should I apply for UCAS again and also how will I be able to provide a referee if I am now in a process of dropping out?
Hi

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi,

A friend of mine transferred and did not get a response from the university she wanted to transfer to until Feb/March by then the university for second entry asked for a transcript (i.e the current grade(s) the student is sitting at, by the end of March/Early April she was given an offer of a 2:1 or above condition for a transfer)

As you can see it takes some time and the university you will be transferring will ask for a transcript of your current performance before they make the offer.

Don't stress :smile:
Reply 1679
I am currently in my 3rd year but I want to move to another uni for my final year is this possible?? Will student finance cover it because obviously I'm already nearly 4 months in to my 3rd year but the course has become a total mess and I now hate it there and due to a lot of personal reasons I really want to leave. Does anyone know if this is possible??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending