The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

So my sister is at Canterbury Christchurch University studying primary education. She now realises that she isn't going to be a great teacher and that the job isn't for her.

She would like to apply for zoology at Queen Mary Uni (London) but on the website, it says it doesn't allow 'transfers'.
Now, I don't think that what she wants to do is a transfer. I think she is just reapplying all over again as she wants to apply for first year.

What does anyone think? What is meant by a transfer and what are the chances of her getting a place at uni to start September 2015?

Thankies!!
Hi guys , really need help ! I'm on my gap year with unconditional offers at Exeter and Southampton to study geography . I have A*AB . I'm already unsure about my course and I haven't even started the course ! I can't have another gap year and looking at other courses I'm drawn towards them . The job prospects for geography worry me as well . Any advice ?!
Original post by Worms
Should you just enter the AS qualifications that you didn't continue to A2, or should you enter both the AS and A2 grades of the qualifications you did?
You enter both; the AS levels are free-standing qualifications in their own right.

Original post by bntanyax
Hi,

So my sister is at Canterbury Christchurch University studying primary education. She now realises that she isn't going to be a great teacher and that the job isn't for her.

She would like to apply for zoology at Queen Mary Uni (London) but on the website, it says it doesn't allow 'transfers'.
Now, I don't think that what she wants to do is a transfer. I think she is just reapplying all over again as she wants to apply for first year.

What does anyone think? What is meant by a transfer and what are the chances of her getting a place at uni to start September 2015?

Thankies!!
She is indeed. This thread does not apply to her circumstances :smile:

Original post by Cranberrysauce
Hi guys , really need help ! I'm on my gap year with unconditional offers at Exeter and Southampton to study geography . I have A*AB . I'm already unsure about my course and I haven't even started the course ! I can't have another gap year and looking at other courses I'm drawn towards them . The job prospects for geography worry me as well . Any advice ?!
If these offers are what you have from applying this year, you can decline them and use UCAS Extra to apply for a different course.

Heyy Am doing my Master at BCU am so sorry to hear that you are confused but don't panic!! you need to think about what you really like to do and what you are good at! to find a subject you like is hard I know!! but you need to find something that you like coz you will do it for a lifetime
Original post by Minerva
You enter both; the AS levels are free-standing qualifications in their own right.

She is indeed. This thread does not apply to her circumstances :smile:

If these offers are what you have from applying this year, you can decline them and use UCAS Extra to apply for a different course.

Hi there , are there actually any good courses in extra ?
Hi there , are there actually any good courses in extra ?
Depends what you mean by 'good', but yes, there will be plenty of choice and some very good options for people with strong grades.
Original post by Minerva
Depends what you mean by 'good', but yes, there will be plenty of choice and some very good options for people with strong grades.

I may sound ridiuculous , but subjects like economics from Exeter or business from Exeter/bath ?
I may sound ridiuculous , but subjects like economics from Exeter or business from Exeter/bath ?
Never can tell. You'll only know when Extra opens at the end of the month.
Original post by Minerva
Never can tell. You'll only know when Extra opens at the end of the month.

Ok thankyou for your help !
Original post by Magic Dust
Many universities only consider a transfer if you have a really valid personal reason, it often isn't enough for you to just say 'I am not enjoying the uni I am currently at' as they may question if you'll like it at their uni, and if you don't it could lead to you not getting the grades and bringing down their average.

I just got accepted into Southampton as a transfer. I was previously at Oxford Brookes, so I don't see why the ones you have picked would be kicking above your place.

Good luck :smile:

can I just ask, what was your reason for transferring?
Also- if we've emailed a uni and they said that transferring is possible- do we wait until we get our grades then contact them again and fill out the ucas application after our first year grades? Or do we already have to take steps towards it at this point of the year?
Original post by PQ
Tutors are people and their job is to support you. If you explain that you're unhappy and that this is affecting your motivation and that you think trying to move to x might help with that then they're unlikely to hold it against you. In fact by seeking help and explaining that you are unhappy most tutors will see that as a reason to keep an eye on you and do what they can to help.

mmm I agree with what you're saying completely.
I'm considering transferring too but I'm afraid of letting my tutor down. Like I feel bad telling him I'm not enjoying it here. But I feel like that's not a valid enough excuse to transfer apparently because then the uni you're thinking of transferring to may question why you wanna go there. And there's not a specific reason why I want to transfer to this university. It's better in the league tables- but that's about it. Mainly though it's because I want a change in environment.
Original post by cookiess
mmm I agree with what you're saying completely.
I'm considering transferring too but I'm afraid of letting my tutor down. Like I feel bad telling him I'm not enjoying it here. But I feel like that's not a valid enough excuse to transfer apparently because then the uni you're thinking of transferring to may question why you wanna go there. And there's not a specific reason why I want to transfer to this university. It's better in the league tables- but that's about it. Mainly though it's because I want a change in environment.

If you did tell your tutor, how will you ask him/her to write you your reference?
Hi! I'm sort of in the same situation. I just wanted to ask how slim are my chances of the computer science and mathematics course to be in extra? Is it really that popular a course that I can't hope for unis such as Exeter and Southampton to still have availabilities? sorry but the wait is killing me! thanks :smile:
Original post by cherrycherry111
Hi! I'm sort of in the same situation. I just wanted to ask how slim are my chances of the computer science and mathematics course to be in extra? Is it really that popular a course that I can't hope for unis such as Exeter and Southampton to still have availabilities? sorry but the wait is killing me! thanks :smile:

You need to get in touch with them directly to find out. All sorts of factors (like if they're opened a new lab or got some new staff) could mean they can accept more students than in previous years....or the opposite could be true and they know they can't take another person.
I'm a first year student but not enjoying my current degree. I'm thinking of switching to philosophy and have emailed the department. I took a philosophy module last term and really enjoyed it although I found the reading very difficult. Nevertheless, I got 75% in the end with very positive feedback so it can't be too bad. I have anxiety and little self-confidence so I'm concerned that I'm overthinking this. Should I drop out completely and think about it more? I don't think I'll ever reach a decision that way though. Help!
Original post by CurtisBrown
Hello Everybody,

I am hoping for a little bit of help and if you think you know what to do, I would appreciate the advice!

Basically, I am a first year undergraduate student at University X, and would like to transfer if possible to University Y beginning the second year, taking up a place at a similar course if that is possible. Right now I study Business Information Systems at X and I am trying to studying Business Information Technology at Y. They are pretty similar and hopefully I would be allowed to move. My question is, has anyone done anything similar to this before or know if I would be allowed to transfer over? As well as this, would I need to create a new UCAS application? I have emailed the university I wish to transfer to and currently I am waiting on their response.

Secondly, If I were to get turned down, would I have any chance of being able to enter at Year one instead? I know I have missed the deadline date for UCAS applications, I wonder if it would be wise to fill it out again? I would appreciate any help you guys would provide, thanks! :smile:

I don't know whether you'll be allowed to transfer or not. What i do know is that even though you are past the UCAS deadline for submitting your application you could still apply and enter through ucas extra or clearing. Depending on which university you apply, business courses are not too competitive so may still be available on ucas extra or clearing

Best of luck
Original post by CurtisBrown
Thank you very much for your response and help! Would you know how I would go about filing out the UCAS? Before, I had done it personally with a teacher but now in University there isn't that sort of person about anymore, can I just do it entirely myself?

Yeah most people in fact apply individually just go on the ucas website they'll have all the info there. The only difference is that instead of a teacher filling the reference box and sending the application off you need someone like an employer to do your reference and you yourself send it off. You have full control!
On UCAS you can choose what year to start from (e.g. 1, 2) when you apply. As long as you get that right the university should be able to offer you a place based on your end of year results for your first year (or A-Levels if applicable).
I have confirmed my firm choice for business management at Cardiff University starting in September of this year. Its too late for me to change my choices through UCAS surely? I want to do urban planning at Cardiff now but I dont want to wait another year to reapply.. Once I start my university degree at Cardiff, would it be possible for me to transfer to urban planning?
Original post by Ryan Pearce
I have confirmed my firm choice for business management at Cardiff University starting in September of this year. Its too late for me to change my choices through UCAS surely? I want to do urban planning at Cardiff now but I dont want to wait another year to reapply.. Once I start my university degree at Cardiff, would it be possible for me to transfer to urban planning?

Get in touch with them now - you might be able to swap before August. Alternatively find out what flexibility there is to switch when you arrive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending