The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse, a very easy and enjoyable read!

:wink:
Original post by Bonfire
A lot of writing

Ah no worries, I've used the time to obsess over my fantasy football team. I'll mider to anyone who'll listen to me about it, but yano.....why did I pick Bent :facepalm: I've heard of Voltaire - I read a Christopher Hitchens book a while ago and he got a fair few references, but the fact it was quite old and foreign kinda put me off at the time. Reading Balzac and knocking back Prozac! It's a helping hand that something Doo de Doo. Although if I can't help but read his name and think of a scrotum does that mean I'm probably not going to reeeally be able to appreciate it? I'm going to keep talking for a bit because I don't think that's a suitable place to finish. Are you doing an englishy course or something? Just that you're well into your books

Im taking forever to read crime and punishment, all the time I'd usually spend reading I'm writing to you about how good books are! I've got a ridiculously long to-do list of books too. I downloaded some free e-book things but it's just not right, I can't settle down to it.

Ah do you think we've hijacked the thread a bit? At least it's all been topical. Except for the Blur lyrics. I see there's another couple talking about Dorian Gray, hello you two if you're reading this drivel :biggrin: Maybe I should've PM'ed you I don't know. I got rep from some generous folk though for one of my rambles, somebody appreciates it :wink:
gone with the wind. it is incredible and you dont need to know anything about the american civil war to understand what is going on
Reply 1383
Does anybody know any good romcom books? I got a book called 'Can you keep a secret' from a magazine (I think it was cosmo) and I loved it! Anybody have any good recomendations?
Original post by Rainbow-Dream
This thread will get deleted. I suggested asking on a different website forum. :wink:

Well it hasn't yet. Now spill the beans... :biggrin:
Reply 1385
I know Anne Rice writes erotica under a different name. Could try her stuff.

I have never bought any erotica, I prefer to find it online for free.
I need some good reads.
Oooh this is tough. I love so many books so it's always difficult when you have to reduce them to five, but here it is...

Anna Karenina~Leo Tolstoy
The Picture of Dorian Gray~Oscar Wilde
Wuthering Heights~Emily Bronte
The Catcher in the Rye~J.D. Salinger
Tess of the D'Urbervilles~Thomas Hardy
The Catcher in the Rye (read some of Salinger's short stories, e.g. A Perfect Day for Banafish. He was a genius).

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Dracula

Nineteen Eighty-Four

The Great Gatsby

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

All of the Harry Potter books :awesome:

(Sorry, I couldn't narrow it down! :frown: They're all so, so good!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Dune by Frank Herbert
The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick
Golem100 by Alfred Bester
The Stranger by Albert Camus
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Not a top 5 as I could never compile such a thing but they're all fantastic anyway and a bit less obvious than the likes of Rowling.

Given that the OP was looking for recommendations more than people's opinions upon what books are good it seems sorta redundant to throw around something like Harry Potter. Even illiterate kids living in the jungles of South America have probably heard of HP by now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1390
Crime & Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
The Shadow of the Wind
The Idiot
Original post by concubine

Not a top 5 as I could never compile such a thing but they're all fantastic anyway and a bit less obvious than the likes of Rowling.

Given that the OP was looking for recommendations more than people's opinions upon what books are good it seems sorta redundant to throw around something like Harry Potter. Even illiterate kids living in the jungles of South America have probably heard of HP by now.

Geez, calm down...
1.) Nothing to Envy - Barbara Demick
2.) A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
3.) The 'A Child Called It' trilogy - Dave Pelzer
4.) Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
5.) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling

:biggrin:
Death of a mafia don
Shadow of the wind
the history of mathematics
the elegant universe
lord of the flies NOT IN ORDER
Reply 1394
There really are so many!

I would highly highly recommend:

High Society, Ben Elton.
The Rainmaker, John Grisham.
The Other Hand, Chris Cleave.
The Kid, Kevin Lewis.

Just a few i can think of off the top of my head, but check them all out. Absolutely amazing!
Reply 1395
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky
The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The God of Small Things
Memoirs of a Geisha
Lord of the Flies
Reply 1397
Wow! So many good books listed on this thread! :smile:

The Aeniad- Virgil :smile:
Life of Pi-Yann Martell
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Magician - Raymond E. Feist
To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
Reply 1398
Original post by issyconnor
Oooh this is tough. I love so many books so it's always difficult when you have to reduce them to five, but here it is...

Anna Karenina~Leo Tolstoy
The Picture of Dorian Gray~Oscar Wilde
Wuthering Heights~Emily Bronte
The Catcher in the Rye~J.D. Salinger
Tess of the D'Urbervilles~Thomas Hardy

Anna Karenina :thumbsup:
This is such a tough question, and being such a geek when it comes to books I have spent FAR too long thinking about my answer...
1. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
2. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
3. The Beach - Alex Garland
4. L'Etranger - Albert Camus
4. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

Honorable mentions to 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being', 'Lolita' and '1984'. I CAN'T CHOOSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending