The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

1984 & Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas have to be up there, the latter for sheer enjoyment..

I've decided to buy a new book today, can't decide between Catcher In the Rye or The Perks Of Being A Wallflower though!

God I hope the sheep didn't eat the little prince's flower :cry2:
Original post by ilovefashion90
After answering this question yesterday, I looked online for agesss looking for the author. After spending half an hour looking for "stolen", I googled "the stolen" in google images and found it! Its by alex shearer. And yep, the main character was called Carly! (Close enough lol).
Im glad Im not the only one who read it. :biggrin:
Its kind of sad to see my favourite books are "children" books :colondollar:. I found "the stolen" quite scary though. Or was that just me? :tongue:
I read the first two harry potter books though, and I thought "the stolen" was miles better!

Ah! I found it thought provoking. I think I was 11/12 when I read it and back then it was a bit scary.
Carly! I can't believe I forgot the name of the author. In fact, I'm not even sure where my copy of The Stolen is now... :s-smilie: Might have been sold/lent to someone who didn't give it back :frown:
Kite Runner
Original post by Obsidian
Ah! I found it thought provoking. I think I was 11/12 when I read it and back then it was a bit scary.
Carly! I can't believe I forgot the name of the author. In fact, I'm not even sure where my copy of The Stolen is now... :s-smilie: Might have been sold/lent to someone who didn't give it back :frown:

I cant find my freak the mighty book either. :frown:
Yehh, it was thought provoking. Its weird reading books you read as a child, years later. I might order them again! All my books are books I've forgotten to give back to school, so Im guilty of not giving things back :colondollar: I always give things back usually, so I dont know why its different when it come to books haha :s-smilie:
also this very recent work on mountaineering:

http://climbevrymountain.blogspot.com

:bear:
There's a cracking little series of books called 'The Magic Key', focused on the lives of Biff, Chip and Kipper that I've only just discovered. They really put things in perspective, and offer some incisive commentary on the state of modern society. I thoroughly recommend them - can't be having any of this lighthearted and inconsequential fiction the like of which has earned the plaudits of so many on this forum.
Original post by Acerbic
There's a cracking little series of books called 'The Magic Key', focused on the lives of Biff, Chip and Kipper that I've only just discovered. They really put things in perspective, and offer some incisive commentary on the state of modern society. I thoroughly recommend them - can't be having any of this lighthearted and inconsequential fiction the like of which has earned the plaudits of so many on this forum.

This. I felt like I'd truly discovered myself once I read those book. Utterly inspring.
Reply 1588
his dark materials and the wind on fire trilogy, amongst others :biggrin:
Reply 1589
- The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami

- The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

- Black Swan Green - David Mitchell
All very much worth a read! :smile:
Reply 1590
Argh, that posted twice, sorry!
Reply 1591
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. This is my absolute favourite of all time and will probably never be displaced.
Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis.

Literally anything by the following author, but most specifically:
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk.
Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.

Also:
The Trial by Franz Kafka.
The Moon and Sixpence by WM Maugham.
At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft.
The Shadow Over Innsmouth by HP Lovecraft.
Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
Apt Pupil by Stephen King.
Not Safe For Work, a collection by various authors.

Probably a few more I'm forgetting, but these are my favourites, read and re-read endlessly.
Reply 1592
The Help and Empty Cradles
Reply 1593
ohh and Banana books I read when I was younger like Yob :smile: and the Village of Three Corners :smile:
Really, now, i have to add CS Lewis in here guys!! love them

One of my favorite books, 'the other side' by Jacqueline Wilson. Classic
Ruby Red by 'Linzi Glass' and 'Things Fall Apart' Chinua Achebe :smile:
Original post by rural_boy
1984 & Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas have to be up there, the latter for sheer enjoyment..

I've decided to buy a new book today, can't decide between Catcher In the Rye or The Perks Of Being A Wallflower though!

Get both, they're both great! Perks is an easier read tho.

Mine are 1984, Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque, Gone With the Wind:colondollar:
anything and everything by Nabokov, I think he's a total genius
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
I rly like most of Neil Gaiman's stuff, he makes me feel cosy
Plato's Symposium! though technically a play but w/ezz
House of Leaves
Original post by Wisdom
his dark materials and the wind on fire trilogy, amongst others :biggrin:

Wind on Fire!! yhh. Kestrel is one of all time fav female characters ever.
Pongo to exams. :headfire:
Original post by LtCommanderData
My official 'favourite book' is the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, but it's been a few years since I read it so I'm not quite sure. I'm sure it's a great book (imo), my main concern is whether it is better than, say, The Illustrated Man (same author). The Man Who Fell To Earth (Walter Tevis) is also excellent.

Ray Bradbury! :love:
Can't believe someone else has beaten me to extolling the virtues of the Martian Chronicles! That book stuck with me for ages, but then it was my first Ray Bradbury so it would. Since then it's been eclipsed by Fahrenheit 451, I think, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. The description of October in the opening paragraphs for SWTWC hits me every time.

So, anything by Ray Bradbury is a favourite for me. Haven't really read anything which I've enjoyed as much since, but The Picture of Dorian Gray came pretty close, though it is one of those books where I felt like half of it was going over my head. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending