The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Beaver Towers :h:

And also the 'Just So Stories', along with all the Roald Dahl and Jacqueline Wilson books. :smile:
A Series of Unfortunate Events, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, and anything by Roald Dahl. :h:
Reply 1782
JK Rowling
Jacqueline Wilson
Roald Dahl
Enid Blyton (famous 5 in particular)
Lemony Snicket
Meg Cabot (Princess Diaries)
Sweet Valley Twins

I haven't mentioned any books in particular as I pretty much read most books by those authors (many multiple times). I would read 2-3 books a week when I was younger. Not so much any more :sad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Oh my God! I totally forgot about these books, I used to love them!

My favourites were Goosebumps, A Series of Unfortunate Events, His Dark Materials and Gerald Durrell
Zindur Zunder
Scribbleboy
Hans Christian Anderson stories

Nicholas and the Gang
The adventures of a cheeky french boy and his friends.

Grimble. A 10 year old boy's odd parents bugger off to Peru and leave him home alone with a fridge full of food and instructions on a note. The foodie combinations he creates are wild!

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾.
My whole family begged me to let them read it because I cried with laughter and they wanted to know what the craic was.

Sweet Valley High.
I feel so ashamed now but if my friends and I couldn't afford them, we'd nick the books from the church centre bookshop. :embarrassed: I hated Jessica, the bitch!
Ooh also - The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldon.
Reply 1787
Original post by andyyy
What if you hunt down an interesting book that you want to read because it sounded interesting and end up reading something like the Twilight series? Will that really make you seem more 'cultured'?

Tbh, I care little for people who try to seem 'cultured' because they tend to be pretentious hipsters, but I love talking to people who have read widely - both canonical works and popular literature as well as non-Western literature and nonfiction.

If you can talk about Twilight in an interesting way and not just spout 'I'm Team Edward!!12' then perhaps yes?

As do I... the OP however, was trying to seem more cultured. So that was my suggestion, from my own opinion. It doesn't disagree with yours; obviously talking to people who have read widely is something to love, but I was saying what makes them seem 'cultured' is that passion for what they've been reading, canon lit or no.
Original post by Fantaisie
Yep, I guess it is but I read it and the others when I was young, maybe started when I was 10. It was just a captivating book, the prologue always had me in floods of tears but then I would read thought the rest in one sitting. Another of my favorites that I might have been even younger when I started reading is Chinese Cinderella which is similar, guess I must have craved something harder then Jacqueline Wilson.
Never heard of the Earthsea Trilogy, I love sci fi books but I don't like and never did books set in medivalesqe worlds about wars, magic and nature(like Terry Pratchett etc).

Earthsea is by Ursula Le Guin and, yes it is a bit magicky but in a natural science sort of way - it's much more about people (and dragons) than magic. I guess that's also what I love about Terry Pratchett - he brings the pretentiousness of fantasy lit down to a homely, commonplace reality. You just have to suspend the disbelief and the characters are as recognizable as those of Shakespeare or Dickens.
'The Tiger Who Came To Tea'.. was absolutely obsessed with this book as I growing up.. mainly because the girl in it was called Sophie. I had it on cassette as well! <3
Then in welsh, there was 'Sali Mali'.
The Harry potter series is my favourite series, more specifically the 3rd book :biggrin:
Eh... Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxay! The entire series incidentally, amazing... 'Travels with Herodotus' and 'The Great Gatsby'... I really like 'This Strange New Life' which is a tad obscure and no great work of literature but still...
Reply 1792
don't know if these have been added already but I'll contribute them:

Literature (non-fiction): The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker
Horror: Carrie by Stephen King
Classics: Middlemarch by George Eliot, Dubliners by James Joyce
Contemporary:
Cloud Atlas By David Mitchell
Life of Pi Yan Martell
The Collector by John Fowles
Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres
The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

General fantasy: The Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

(and I wouldn't class 'The Bloody Chamber' as romance....)
Reply 1793
Novels by Frederick Forsyth -Spy Thriller
Novels by Robert Van Ludlum- Spy Thriller
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis -Crime

EDIT:
Novels by John Grisham- Legal Thriller
The Colour of Law-Mark Gimenez- Legal Thriller
To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee- Legal Thriller
P.S I Love You-Cecielia Ahem-Love/Romance

I think I need to order some books :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
I recommend any book by Jodi Picoult. 'Plain Truth' is very good, as is any book by Linwood Barclay :smile:
Original post by elfrench
don't know if these have been added already but I'll contribute them:

Literature (non-fiction): The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker
Horror: Carrie by Stephen King
Classics: Middlemarch by George Eliot, Dubliners by James Joyce
Contemporary:
Cloud Atlas By David Mitchell
Life of Pi Yan Martell
The Collector by John Fowles
Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres
The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

General fantasy: The Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

(and I wouldn't class 'The Bloody Chamber' as romance....)

Those look interesting on Wiki; I'll probably have a go.

Just got the new Pratchett (Snuff) pre-ordered on Kindle. It's the first of his that I've tried on Kindle and the footnotes thing is REALLY irritating - I'll probably buy it when the paperback comes out 'cos I can't have a gap on the shelf.
Reply 1796
The Thirty Nine Steps
Reply 1797
Original post by Fingersmith
Those look interesting on Wiki; I'll probably have a go.

Just got the new Pratchett (Snuff) pre-ordered on Kindle. It's the first of his that I've tried on Kindle and the footnotes thing is REALLY irritating - I'll probably buy it when the paperback comes out 'cos I can't have a gap on the shelf.

Cassandra Clare is by far my favourite author - and her books have just the right mix of action, fantasy and romance - and the romance is heart wrenching. she makes the sort of characters you want as friends. and the dialogue is hilarious. i would DEFINITELY recommend them :smile:
Reply 1798
Original post by lenalouiseh
Oh my God! I totally forgot about these books, I used to love them!

My favourites were Goosebumps, A Series of Unfortunate Events, His Dark Materials and Gerald Durrell

Unfortunate Events has really annoyed me because as a kid I was dying to know the truth behind VFD, and at the end it makes no sense, nothing is revealed really!
And Redwall just makes me hungry :tongue:
I adore His Dark Materials though, genius.
What do people think of Dune?
I loved Dune first time around. Recently I tried to reread it in one go (as I usually do with 'epics') and it got very tedious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending