The Student Room Group

Are nurses jealous of us?

Had a hospital placement last week as part of my med school course.

I am fully aware of some stuck up medical students, and try my best to be as humble as possible.
On placement I considered the nurses to be more superior in the chain than myself, a mere 2nd year student, and made that as cleaR as possible by asking questions etc anything to make sure they knew I understood the nurse was in higher authority.

HOWEVER, I was repeatedely handed comments like "Nurses practically do the doctor's job nowadays, all they do is relax".
I was reminded every 5 seconds that I'm not qualified to do such and such, while they were a fully qualified healthcare proffessional.

I see a clear split, where some nurses made me feel very welcome and assisted my learning, while others showed clear contempt for all doctors & med student.
Is it jealously

Any other doctors or med students had the same experiance?

P.S I KNOW there are more stuck up doctors than nurses.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wheelspin

I am fully aware of some stuck up medical students, and try my best to be as humble as possible.
On placement I considered the nurses to be more superior in the chain than myself, a mere 2nd year student, and made that as cleaR as possible by asking questions etc anything to make sure they knew I understood the nurse was in higher authority.

HOWEVER, I was repeatedely handed comments like "Nurses practically do the doctor's job nowadays, all they do is relax".
I was reminded every 5 seconds that I'm not qualified to do such and such, while they were a fully qualified healthcare proffessional.

I see a clear split, where some nurses made me feel very welcome and assisted my learning, while others showed clear contempt for all doctors & med student.
Is it jealously

You'd be surprised how many nurses are 'stuck up' in a way that is generally found to be more acceptable simply because they are lower in the pecking order as it were, and so are allowed to be a bit rude about doctors... Not necessarily without cause, mind you, but it's just a natural human thing; when someone who is less experienced than you turns up but you know they'll soon be earning far more than you will after years of experience, you're bound to feel a pang of resentment, but it doesn't mean that nurses are all jealous... Just because you like the look of footballers' cars doesn't mean you wage a crusade of hatred and jealousy against premier league footballers :tongue:.

On the whole, though, I've never had a problem with nurses; though obviously my contact with them has been limited since I've only gone through one year of medschool so far, I've worked with them in both GP and hospital work experience and in nursing home volunteering, and they've always been very sensible. Indeed I've worked with one who was a school-friend of my mum's and we've even taught each other a few things, and she gives me her previous editions of the BNF every time she gets a new one (since she's a nurse practitioner).

Perhaps you were a bit on the sycophantic side? To be honest, when I've worked with nurses they've been perfectly nice people and I think we all sensed where we stood; we'd one day be the doctors and in a sense their 'bosses', but we knew that they are far more experienced at this stage; they knew that too but they also respected that we probably had a greater understanding of the science and were still learning by no fault of our own; so both sides respected each other. I would expect if you are trying really hard to show that they are superior with regards to experience constantly it'd probably be obvious to them that you're doing it on purpose and whilst you may be meaning well, it may come across as if you are compensating for either your misconceptions about them, or that you're doing it to mask a belief that you are superior.

Don't be obsequious I guess; they've been doing their job and putting up with med students for years; there's no need to actively try and make them feel respected and appreciated because if you go to pains to do so you might be appearing patronising or false... Just behave normally; so long as you're not an arrogant med student they'll be fine with you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Friar Chris
You'd be surprised how many nurses are 'stuck up' in a way that is generally found to be more acceptable simply because they are lower in the pecking order as it were, and so are allowed to be a bit rude about doctors... Not necessarily without cause, mind you, but it's just a natural human thing; when someone who is less experienced than you turns up but you know they'll soon be earning far more than you will after years of experience, you're bound to feel a pang of resentment, but it doesn't mean that nurses are all jealous... Just because you like the look of footballers' cars doesn't mean you wage a crusade of hatred and jealousy against premier league footballers :tongue:.

On the whole, though, I've never had a problem with nurses; though obviously my contact with them has been limited since I've only gone through one year of medschool so far, I've worked with them in both GP and hospital work experience and in nursing home volunteering, and they've always been very sensible. Indeed I've worked with one who was a school-friend of my mum's and we've even taught each other a few things, and she gives me her previous editions of the BNF every time she gets a new one (since she's a nurse practitioner).

Perhaps you were a bit on the sycophantic side? To be honest, when I've worked with nurses they've been perfectly nice people and I think we all sensed where we stood; we'd one day be the doctors and in a sense their 'bosses', but we knew that they are far more experienced at this stage; they knew that too but they also respected that we probably had a greater understanding of the science and were still learning by no fault of our own; so both sides respected each other. I would expect if you are trying really hard to show that they are superior with regards to experience constantly it'd probably be obvious to them that you're doing it on purpose and whilst you may be meaning well, it may come across as if you are compensating for either your misconceptions about them, or that you're doing it to mask a belief that you are superior.
Don't be obsequious I guess; they've been doing their job and putting up with med students for years; there's no need to actively try and make them feel respected and appreciated because if you go to pains to do so you might be appearing patronising or false... Just behave normally; so long as you're not an arrogant med student they'll be fine with you.

That makes me feel terrible
That makes me feel terrible

Well don't feel bad; you're obviously trying to make sure that you're putting the right impression across, it's just I suspect it may be producing the opposite effect to what's intended is all :smile:.
Reply 4

Is it jealously

Don't know why you felt the need to make a conscious effort to show they are superior to you, unless you're a naturally arrogant person or something :s-smilie:

The ones who showed contempt for you guys are probably crap nurses anyway who dish out the same attitude for patients or anyone for that matter, so sleep well.
Reply 5
Original post by fuzzybear
Don't know why you felt the need to make a conscious effort to show they are superior to you, unless you're a naturally arrogant person or something :s-smilie:

The ones who showed contempt for you guys are probably crap nurses anyway who dish out the same attitude for patients or anyone for that matter, so sleep well.

Because there are so many idiot med students who think they are primeministers
Reply 6
Depends on the nurse. Some are lovely and I have some very good friends who are nurses, but some really do seem to have a chip on their shoulder. My experiences of nurses are mainly through working as an HCA before applying to med school and as a med student.

Some are very keen to teach me things/show me how to do things/are nice.

Most are just fine.

A small minority don't really like it when they find out I'm a med student.

I don't tell anyone, unless they specifically ask me. I just do my job and do what the nurses tell me.

If I was to go on a placement with nurses of course I would respect them as being qualified vs me a student.

But yeah, some really do have a chip on their shoulder esp towards med students and FY1s
Reply 7
Because there are so many idiot med students who think they are primeministers

Well presumbly you don't, so just treat them in a normal and fairly formal way - Idk like the way you treat your lecturer. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be offended by this.
Reply 8

Lol, I wouldn't worry about this. Ignore such comments and smile sweetly. I get this from other HCAs (not nurses), it's pretty ridiculous. I think it's just trying to put you in your place/show their 'superiority'.

They can't say anything when you become a consultant. :wink:

"Nurses practically do the doctor's job nowadays, all they do is relax".
Lol hahahaha. Jokes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

Is it jealously

No I don't think nurses are jealous of you... the fact that you have to make a conscious effort to be humble and 'let them understand' that they have the authority suggests that in your subconscious you believe they have reason to be jealous?
Anyway, I reckon there are stuck up nurses and stuck up doctors, and seeing as they're two important but different roles working in a close vicinity, of course there's gonna be a bit of competition or even conflict.
Reply 10
When I was on my work experience the nurses were really encouraging. They were saying to me 'not to become like the other stuck up doctors' and to retain my friendly attitude (and Scottish accent). So maybe it's because they are used to a lot of doctors being quite stuck up.
Reply 11
Original post by abc:)
No I don't think nurses are jealous of you... the fact that you have to make a conscious effort to be humble and 'let them understand' that they have the authority suggests that in your subconscious you believe they have reason to be jealous?

Just to throw this out there... why is it that doctors/med students are supposed to be so carefully humble about their profession? I understand that they shouldn't be arrogant or rude about their salary etc. but surely in a personal sense anybody who chooses ANY career and is as motivated to pursue it as doctors have to be these days (not unlike other top paid professions) WOULD believe that other professionals have reason to be jealous of them because they think their job is the best out there, if they didn't they would've picked something else?

I'd expect the same from top class city lawyers, etc or anyone who's worked exceptionally hard to get where - they think its something amazing and that's why they choose it! in their eyes it is the best. I see it all the time that it's "allowed" for other science students or pharmacists to knock medics for various things, but when they do it back (in a banter sort of way) it's automatically arrogant? Why shouldn't nurses be a bit more humble too rather than just dare a med student to say the slightest thing so they can chew them up about it?

Not sure if I've explained this well lol I'm sleepy :tongue:
Reply 12
Had to slap my mate after placement because he went around asking every single nurse, "Are u a nurse because you aren't clever enough/ don't have the grades to do medicine.

Made me feel like shhh....
Reply 13
Original post by Seher
Just to throw this out there... why is it that doctors/med students are supposed to be so carefully humble about their profession? I understand that they shouldn't be arrogant or rude about their salary etc. but surely in a personal sense anybody who chooses ANY career and is as motivated to pursue it as doctors have to be these days (not unlike other top paid professions) WOULD believe that other professionals have reason to be jealous of them because they think their job is the best out there, if they didn't they would've picked something else?

I'd expect the same from top class city lawyers, etc or anyone who's worked exceptionally hard to get where - they think its something amazing and that's why they choose it! in their eyes it is the best. I see it all the time that it's "allowed" for other science students or pharmacists to knock medics for various things, but when they do it back (in a banter sort of way) it's automatically arrogant? Why shouldn't nurses be a bit more humble too rather than just dare a med student to say the slightest thing so they can chew them up about it?

I think every pretty much all jobs are honourable. When my streets are littered, we NEED someone to clean. When my cars broke, the mech fixes it. We should see these people as honourable and important.
Reply 14
Original post by Seher

I agree with you to an extent, but I don't think it's restricted to high earning jobs. Most people who choose their career are proud of it and probably have reason to be. Including nurses so you can see where the conflict lies. I think whatever profession you are, you should be proud of it, but there is a fine line between being proud of your work and thinking that you are genuinely better than someone in another profession, for whatever reason. If everyone, in every profession, could be proud of their work and yet not arrogant about it, there would be no problem!
Reply 15
Anyway, I reckon there are stuck up nurses and stuck up doctors, and seeing as they're two important but different roles working in a close vicinity, of course there's gonna be a bit of competition or even conflict.

i ask questions, tell them when i dont understand something. Its genuine, I dont act stupid on purpose. Some of my colleauges, however, would wait to refer to the Doc even when the nurse knows how to deal with the issue. They would ask the nurse if they understood something..lol etc
Reply 16
i ask questions, tell them when i dont understand something. Its genuine, I dont act stupid on purpose. Some of my colleauges, however, would wait to refer to the Doc even when the nurse knows how to deal with the issue. They would ask the nurse if they understood something..lol etc

Wow lol see that's bad :P well then maybe the nurses who seem stuck up are like that because you have a reputation for underestimating them? [I don't mean you personally btw!] it's just if someone underestimates me, I deffo go on the defensive and get a bit arrogant
Reply 17
I think every pretty much all jobs are honourable. When my streets are littered, we NEED someone to clean. When my cars broke, the mech fixes it. We should see these people as honourable and important.

of course they are. I'm just saying that other professionals are "allowed" knock someone who makes more money than them of whatever, but it's automatically seen as arrogant and egoistical the other way round. Of course there's a line and you shouldn't be rude, but in terms of banter - why can't a doctor think doctors are better than nurses, nurses think the vice versa, and they all just agree to disagree cos let's face it - it's THEIR job, THEY love it.
Reply 18
I agree with you to an extent, but I don't think it's restricted to high earning jobs. Most people who choose their career are proud of it and probably have reason to be. Including nurses so you can see where the conflict lies. I think whatever profession you are, you should be proud of it, but there is a fine line between being proud of your work and thinking that you are genuinely better than someone in another profession, for whatever reason. If everyone, in every profession, could be proud of their work and yet not arrogant about it, there would be no problem!

I don't mean only high earners should be proud of their jobs, just that they should be allowed some bragging rights too. Nurses are "allowed" (it's seen as socially acceptabe) to go on about how incompetent doctors are, but a doctor isn't even allowed to think that nurses have a reason to be jealous of doctors?
Reply 19
Hmmm I think it works both ways though....I've met some really awful matrons! Snobbish as hell....with their noses in the air towards everyone as well as docs who completely ignore you and think that they own certain wards.

I work as a HCA at the mo and I was asked if I'd like to do an assistant practitioner course (it's like 2 years with a GNVQ ETC... I did consider it but I cba :tongue:) to which I replied no at that point and that I would actually like to do medicine....the nurse gave me some very dodgy looks indeed...followed by asking me about my academic info and upon finding out that I'm already a graduate.... more dodgy looks followed with some snide remark about how everyone only goes into medicine because of the prestige & money and that the people that care for patients are actually the nurses, HCA's etc...and that doctors just sign forms & are late for everything!!! I did not know what to say to her without going mad...at which point I had to attend a patient so I was kind of relieved but I can't believe some people like her have that attitude.

Latest

Trending

Trending