The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mpc1
That was very quick. What was your point of entry ? Guess you had marked it as 1 in UCAS meaning you start the course from the first year?

what are your predicted IB scores?

Heard some internationals also get unconditionals ?

Point of entry was 1 and my PGs were 39/45 with 6, 7, 7 at HLs. I haven't really heard of people getting uncond. offers using only their predicted grades at this stage, although I guess if someone was really exceptional then maybe the uni will give them unconditional (although I don't think so since most unis want to know that the applicant can show commitment in the form of working hard to achieve a certain grade)? Besides, the Edinburgh offer wasn't too difficult since I also had the option of meeting a FAR easier OSSD offer (85% in math, 80% in phys, and 50% in English).
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 181
Original post by hawkingchampion
Point of entry was 1 and my PGs were 39/45 with 6, 7, 7 at HLs. I haven't really heard of people getting uncond. offers using only their predicted grades at this stage, although I guess if someone was really exceptional then maybe the uni will give them unconditional (although I don't think so since most unis want to know that the applicant can show commitment in the form of working hard to achieve a certain grade)? Besides, the Edinburgh offer wasn't too difficult since I also had the option of meeting a FAR easier OSSD offer (85% in math, 80% in phys, and 50% in English).

What is OSSD offer?

Congrats on your 5 year Mphys offer! Do you belong to overseas fee category? Was any fee status form sent out to you to be filled out prior to the offer?

Original post by mpc1
What is OSSD offer?

Congrats on your 5 year Mphys offer! Do you belong to overseas fee category? Was any fee status form sent out to you to be filled out prior to the offer?

I will have 2 formal qualifications by the time I graduate from my school. One is the IB and the other being the Ontario Secondary School Diploma which is awarded to all students in Ontario. I put 2 sets of predicted grades into my UCAS app so Edinburgh looked at both and gave me the option of meeting just one of the two.

Sadly I belong in the overseas fee category :frown:. I guess this means I'll need to somehow find a way to pay around $40,000 a year (with living fees included) for 5 years. Now I regret not choosing to go into 2nd year on my UCAS...
Reply 183
I will have 2 formal qualifications by the time I graduate from my school. One is the IB and the other being the Ontario Secondary School Diploma which is awarded to all students in Ontario. I put 2 sets of predicted grades into my UCAS app so Edinburgh looked at both and gave me the option of meeting just one of the two.

Sadly I belong in the overseas fee category :frown:. I guess this means I'll need to somehow find a way to pay around $40,000 a year (with living fees included) for 5 years. Now I regret not choosing to go into 2nd year on my UCAS...

Don't worry bro, that's only 25k in GBP... lol

EDIT: But seriously, I swear you don't have to pay anything until you earn 15k a year or is that just for EU?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Reggio

Original post by Reggio
Don't worry bro, that's only 25k in GBP... lol

EDIT: But seriously, I swear you don't have to pay anything until you earn 15k a year or is that just for EU?

I haven't read like that on Edinburhg's website but I assume that it might be just for the EU since the whole point of Edinburgh having intl. students (besides the fact that they get a larger pool of academically inclined students to choose from) is to make money.
Reply 185
I haven't read like that on Edinburhg's website but I assume that it might be just for the EU since the whole point of Edinburgh having intl. students (besides the fact that they get a larger pool of academically inclined students to choose from) is to make money.

The thing is I don't quite see what extras they gain- I mean, even though we only have to pay 9k a year, the rest is subsidised by the government, so for the universities it's no different in terms of profit surely.
Original post by Reggio

Original post by Reggio
The thing is I don't quite see what extras they gain- I mean, even though we only have to pay 9k a year, the rest is subsidised by the government, so for the universities it's no different in terms of profit surely.

Well there has to be a reason why they don't offer bursaries to intl students right? Always thought it was greed :biggrin:
Reply 187
Original post by mpc1
Are you a first time applicant or re-applicant?

Goodluck with your offer.

First time certainly. :smile: Really want to hear from them soon...or from any uni actually..
Always thought it was greed :biggrin:

The university is a bloody charity! *sigh* At least try to understand the university system you're coming to before criticising it :wink:
Reply 189
Original post by Schlegel
First time certainly. :smile: Really want to hear from them soon...or from any uni actually..

Are you an american applicant with overseas fee? heard the chances of acceptance for such applicants is higher. Is it correct?
Original post by mpc1
Are you an american applicant with overseas fee? heard the chances of acceptance for such applicants is higher. Is it correct?

I've heard this as well. I've heard it's easier for an international or american applicant to get in as long as they meet the entry requirements...
Original post by mpc1

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34509462&highlight=
Reply 192
Original post by oxymoronic
Apply for just sociology then if you get an offer and decide to come to Edinburgh just take economics as an outside course in first year and swap your degree to it. If you haven't mentioned economics at all then you will not get an offer.

Thanks. I'm actually more interested in sociology but keeping future job opportunities in mind, i was thinking that doing a joint honors with econs would be better. Would that really be better or should i just stick with single honours sociology?
Reply 193
applying for business and psychology...
Reply 194
Im applying to edinburgh for next year, joint degree business and psychology. On the website the entry requirements are 34 IB points, im predicted 36/37, with higher maths 5 and 6 in economics higher. what are the chances of getting in? im also an international non EU student.

Ive heard that it is highly competitive, does anyone know how competitive it is for this particular course?
I want to study Psychology and International Relations but Edinburgh doesn't offer that joint degree option so I am considering psych and linguistics or psych and business studies.

I am really interested in linguistics but also marketing and advertising and business so I have no idea which to choose!!

Can anyone offer me some insight regarding these two options?
Original post by nearlyheadlessian

The university is a bloody charity! *sigh* At least try to understand the university system you're coming to before criticising it :wink:

Yes but surely more money = better faculty = better graduates = more prestige? :confused:
Yes but surely more money = better faculty = better graduates = more prestige? :confused:

Well the university doesn't really have any problems with the quality of its graduates past or present :wink: And is doing just fine on the prestige front. But the reason they don't give out scholarships to international fee payers isn't greed - simply that they can't afford to. Scholarships go primarily to those from low income backgrounds in Scotland and the UK (and a few talented candidates), and to postgraduates.
Well the university doesn't really have any problems with the quality of its graduates past or present :wink: And is doing just fine on the prestige front. But the reason they don't give out scholarships to international fee payers isn't greed - simply that they can't afford to. Scholarships go primarily to those from low income backgrounds in Scotland and the UK (and a few talented candidates), and to postgraduates.
And those 9.6% raises for the Principal don't fund themselves either! :wink:
Original post by ninja-lewis
And those 9.6% raises for the Principal don't fund themselves either! :wink:

Quite. Although in the grand scheme of things they're pretty immaterial really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending