The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Got an offer for Law and International Relations! So happy to have received my first offer :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by sykg
Got an offer for Law and International Relations! So happy to have received my first offer :smile:

Are you an international student?
Reply 382
Original post by cgraham15
Are you an international student?
yes, Canadian
got an unconditional for English :biggrin:
Original post by blue monday
got an unconditional for English :biggrin:

:smile:congratulations, when did you apply and what are your grades?
Original post by Blondshavemorefun
:smile:congratulations, when did you apply and what are your grades?

I applied October 13th, and I'm international so I doubt my scores mean anything to the majority of you guys but: AP scores: 5,5,5,5 (Lit, Lang, Euro Hist, US Hist) 4 (Art Hist) 3 (Physics). SAT: 2130, ACT: 35 (Eng+Writing), 32 (CR), 30 (M), 28 (sci), and a 12 essay
Hey anybody got a visit? Is it obligatory? As I am an international, it would cost me a lot to go there.
Reply 387
Right, basically: I have my heart set on Edinburgh but have been receiving pretty mixed messages on how harsh/stringent they are.
I know none of you can tell me for certain, obviously, but I was wondering;

-I'm applying for MA French and English Literature
-From middle/Southern England
-6A*s, 4As, 1B @ GCSE
-AAAAB at AS
-Predicted A*A*A this year and an A in EPQ.
Should I be optimistic about getting an offer or not? My personal statement was decent enough for me to get offers back from Manc and Liverpool within about a week.

Any help's hugely appreciated, particularly from those who've been to Edinburgh/had offers in the past. Thank youuuuu! :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by CellarDoorXYZ
Hey anybody got a visit? Is it obligatory? As I am an international, it would cost me a lot to go there.

You don't have to visit.
Reply 389
Original post by finestory

Original post by finestory
x

You've got the same grade profile as all of the other applicants and are applying for one of the most competitive courses at Edinburgh.
It will all depend on how good your personal statement is and what one university finds acceptable, others may not. Manchester and Liverpool are renowned for being very quick off the mark in getting offers out whereas other places like Edinburgh are pretty slow and wait until after the Jan deadline.

In short, you're in exactly the same position as everyone else applying in terms of offering a mix of A* and A predictions with a string of A*s at GCSE too. Whether you get an offer will be down to factors beyond what you've written in that post. Edinburgh are very keen on putting educational achievement in context, so if you're from a school where there are very few A grades awarded and your results are substantially better than everyone else then this will gain you more points and make your application stronger than if you're from a school where your academic results are similar to others.
Original post by cgraham15
I'm doing self-study Politics too! I hate it though. Self-study ecenomics is way better :biggrin:

wow really, like seriously, you got any advice, online notes about political ideologies? i really cant get it into my head, also no teacher at our school has much clue about the course haha!
I applied over a month ago, Still heard nothing at all whatsoever. :s-smilie:. I know Edinburgh are WELL known for their lack of adequate communication but Id quite like a "MyEd" Login. Thoughts...? Is this common?
Reply 392
Original post by eprysehawkins
I applied over a month ago, Still heard nothing at all whatsoever. :s-smilie:. I know Edinburgh are WELL known for their lack of adequate communication but Id quite like a "MyEd" Login. Thoughts...? Is this common?

UK/EU applicants will hear from them later.
Reply 393
Original post by eprysehawkins

I got a MyEd login the next day... Doesn't have much purpose though.
Reply 394
When it comes to ranged entry requirements, does anybody know if they usually offer at the top end of the scale? Or what determines which offer from the range they choose to give you?
BA Geography has a range of AAA-ABB, for example.
Reply 395
Original post by Quirynn

Original post by Quirynn
When it comes to ranged entry requirements, does anybody know if they usually offer at the top end of the scale? Or what determines which offer from the range they choose to give you?
BA Geography has a range of AAA-ABB, for example.

You'll usually get an AAA offer unless you have any extenuating circumstances, such as going to a poorly performing school or illness. If not then expect to get an AAA offer.
Original post by braiiins
I got a MyEd login the next day... Doesn't have much purpose though.

They gave me a username and such but it keeps saying my password is invalid, despite me having copy and pasted it exactly as it said in the email. :s-smilie:
Reply 397
They gave me a username and such but it keeps saying my password is invalid, despite me having copy and pasted it exactly as it said in the email. :s-smilie:

Try e-mailing [email protected] , I had a problem registering and e-mailing them solved the problem :smile:
Reply 398

I had exactly same problem. Try contacting the helpdesk ([email protected]). It worked in my case :smile:
Reply 399
Original post by oxymoronic
You'll usually get an AAA offer unless you have any extenuating circumstances, such as going to a poorly performing school or illness. If not then expect to get an AAA offer.

Just curious, is that mainly for UK/EU applicants? I applied for Social Anthropology and had an offer of BBB. The course has a range of AAA-BBB.

I don't have any extenuating circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending