The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
I know this is probably hopeless but I just had to ask if you guys think there's anything I can do about my situation anymore;

See, yesterday I found out my application to Edinburgh had changed to "unsuccessful", and soon after got an email from them saying that they hadn't even considered my application because my predicted grades didn't meet the minimum requirements. I have no idea what kind of predicted grades I have gotten, as my coordinator will not tell me, but I assume that since this happened, I must have been predicted a 4 for HL math since the minimum requirements are 555 at HL (so 774 wouldn't apparently do it). However, I myself KNOW that I am able to get at least 5, as even though to some extent because of personal reasons my average has been less, I have been doing extra practicing for the whole year and even my math teacher says that I can do it. But, as my coordinator himself predicted my grades for all subjects in accordance to my report card average, I assume it was less than that.

So, my question is, do you think there's ANYTHING I can do in this situation anymore? It seems unfair that even though I have worked extra hard with math for the whole year I wont get into university because my coordinator couldn't be bothered to ask the teachers what I am really capable of, and as I don't know my predicted grades I am afraid that the same might have happened with other subjects as well, and in worst case scenario my predicted grades are even less than the 34 required, even though, being 100% realistic, I am sure I can get at least 36 and most likely even better when the actual exams come around.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by jaay89
I emailed and they said they hope to start making science offers in March! :frown: feels so far away.

I applied for MA Psychology so does that count as a science or no? I think only BSc Psychology is but I'm not sure...

Does anyone know?
Reply 1382
Original post by jaay89
I emailed and they said they hope to start making science offers in March! :frown: feels so far away.

Are you sure? I received an e-mail from the college of science and engineering which states that they hope to have made all of their offers by the end of February.

I thought everyone who applied to their college of science and engineering got this e-mail.
Original post by Julii92
Are you sure? I received an e-mail from the college of science and engineering which states that they hope to have made all of their offers by the end of February.

I thought everyone who applied to their college of science and engineering got this e-mail.

I got this email too! Please say we don't have to wait until March now :frown:
Reply 1384
Original post by Julii92

I got that email too, but I emailed yesterday (I'm PARANOID haha) and they replied saying March... but I think they are saying a later date JUST incase they don't make the offers in Feb, as to not worry us etc...
Reply 1385
Original post by cricket123
I applied for MA Psychology so does that count as a science or no? I think only BSc Psychology is but I'm not sure...

Does anyone know?

That should be arts not science, but who knows for sure...?
Reply 1386
Original post by jaay89
I got that email too, but I emailed yesterday (I'm PARANOID haha) and they replied saying March... but I think they are saying a later date JUST incase they don't make the offers in Feb, as to not worry us etc...

I'm still a little confused - they hope to START giving offers in March, or they've already started but the process will continue into March?

If you're okay to do it, could you paste what they wrote to you in their e-mail?
Reply 1387
offer for arabic and economics - bbb which is exciting!
Reply 1388
Original post by chloew94

congrats!! I am waiting for chinese and economics !!!:smile:
Original post by chloew94

:jive:
Original post by lollero
I know this is probably hopeless but I just had to ask if you guys think there's anything I can do about my situation anymore;

See, yesterday I found out my application to Edinburgh had changed to "unsuccessful", and soon after got an email from them saying that they hadn't even considered my application because my predicted grades didn't meet the minimum requirements. I have no idea what kind of predicted grades I have gotten, as my coordinator will not tell me, but I assume that since this happened, I must have been predicted a 4 for HL math since the minimum requirements are 555 at HL (so 774 wouldn't apparently do it). However, I myself KNOW that I am able to get at least 5, as even though to some extent because of personal reasons my average has been less, I have been doing extra practicing for the whole year and even my math teacher says that I can do it. But, as my coordinator himself predicted my grades for all subjects in accordance to my report card average, I assume it was less than that.

So, my question is, do you think there's ANYTHING I can do in this situation anymore? It seems unfair that even though I have worked extra hard with math for the whole year I wont get into university because my coordinator couldn't be bothered to ask the teachers what I am really capable of, and as I don't know my predicted grades I am afraid that the same might have happened with other subjects as well, and in worst case scenario my predicted grades are even less than the 34 required, even though, being 100% realistic, I am sure I can get at least 36 and most likely even better when the actual exams come around.

Ouch! That's awful - I'm so sorry!! :frown:

I'd have thought that you'd be well within your right to ask for your predicted grades, and your coordinator shouldn't withhold them from you. It is your application, after all! :angry:

Perhaps you need to have another word with your coordinator and expalin how important it is that you know what your predicted grades are and why he made them lower than you needed? I don't know if you can change anything on your application at this point, but if your coordinator agreed to raise your predicted grade and spoke to the university perhaps there might be a small chance you could still get on the course? :confused:

Just a suggestion, but perhaps a mod or someone more experienced in university applications might be able to give you a better answer? :redface:

I'm really sorry about your application and hope that everything works out okay for you!! :jumphug:
Original post by buddhacoffee
Course: Chinese & French MA

Offer Conditions: Conditional

International or Home/EU: Home (England)

Reaction: HFHEFLJKWYjhguyIUGTERQU73LKJQIOFLKKJHJK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MAI GAAAAAAAAAWD!!! *TEARS OF ABSOLOUTE JOY!*!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!111one :bl:

Congratulations! :biggrin: May I ask what the conditions are?
Original post by 1platinum
Congratulations! :biggrin: May I ask what the conditions are?

Thank you so much! :hugs:
It's BBB, including French! Am so happy, as I thought it'd be more! :colondollar:
Original post by Annie-Bananie
looks like our business school is not sending offers yet, haven't heard anything about business offers at all... waiting for international business. it takes forever :frown: good luck to u!

I've got an offer for international business with german :smile: got it last week
Original post by ashleyxliebe
I've got an offer for international business with german :smile: got it last week

wow congrats!! :h:
what were your predicted grades? :smile: ooh i hope i'll hear from them soon. even if it's a rejection i wanna know already :s-smilie:
Thank you so much! :hugs:
It's BBB, including French! Am so happy, as I thought it'd be more! :colondollar:

Really BBB?!? Are you an international student or an English student or anything else? What were the standard entry requirements?
Original post by 1platinum
Really BBB?!? Are you an international student or an English student or anything else? What were the standard entry requirements?

Yup, BBB! I really wasn't expecting such grades at all, let alone an actual offer! :dance:
I'm an English student, born n' bred! :h: As for the standart entry requirements, on Edinburgh's website it says that offers are made around grades AAA-BBB, but that "to be considered for an offer, applicants will need, or be predicted to achieve, at least AAAA (Highers) or AAA (A Levels with a strong set of GCSE A* grades) unless one or more contextual factors applies." :erm:
However, I was only predicted ABB and I have no A* grades at GCSE at all! :colondollar: I think it must have been my personal statement that was the deciding factor? :redface:

How about you? Heard back from Eds yet? :jumphug:
Yup, BBB! I really wasn't expecting such grades at all, let alone an actual offer! :dance:
I'm an English student, born n' bred! :h: As for the standart entry requirements, on Edinburgh's website it says that offers are made around grades AAA-BBB, but that "to be considered for an offer, applicants will need, or be predicted to achieve, at least AAAA (Highers) or AAA (A Levels with a strong set of GCSE A* grades) unless one or more contextual factors applies." :erm:
However, I was only predicted ABB and I have no A* grades at GCSE at all! :colondollar: I think it must have been my personal statement that was the deciding factor? :redface:

No not yet, really want to go there though. That gives me hope, I am predicted the same as you and only have one A* at A level so I should be still within a chance. :cool:
Reply 1398

Do you have any of the contextual factors which apply to you? It's usually then when the lower offers come out. Congrats on your offer though!
Reply 1399
Got a BBB offer for Modern Languages yesterday :biggrin:

Btw, in the FAQ it says if you're definitely certain you'd like to change your course, email the uni. Who should I email? I have no Edinburgh email addresses due to the EULCD system. Thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending