The Student Room Group

Does this sound like a good idea?

I'm in 6th year and applying to university this year. I didn't do aswell as I would have liked last year,mainly due a combination of depression and stress.I'm doing much better this year. I only really have one course at one university I really can imagine myself studying but I feel,I want to apply next year,after I get more speaking practice under my belt so to speak,and perhaps more highers. I want to study the Interpreting and Translating MA (German & Spanish) at Heriot Watt university. Does anyone understand what I mean? I feel a bit rushed this year,and due to my situation I feel i am quite confined with uni courses..I only really have one choice.
I could be wrong, but isn't an MA a postgraduate course?

Edit: I stand corrected, please ignore.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I did my UCAS application after I left school, for similar reasons. And I think if I'd done it when I was still at school, it would have been complete rubbish, I was just not in the state of mind to do it. Well, I think I could've been pushed into doing it okay, but the thing is when I was at school my form tutor doing my reference didn't know me that well and I didn't trust her writing skills much either. I used a different teacher who I knew a million times more and she was fantastic, helped me out with everything, including support for getting a letter for mitigating circumstances (for depression also).

But enough about me - my point is, it can definitely help. But as some words of caution, make sure this gap year will benefit you. I don't really understand Highers and stuff? But look specifically into what you want to do and if it will help for your future application. And make sure you're taking care of yourself - I did find my gap year quite lonely at times and that did make me feel low.. but that could've been solved if I'd done more with the year!

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you like.
Original post by whatsername2009

In Scottish Universities a MA is the same as a BA at English Universities. If that makes sense!
Original post by whatsername2009

In England, yes; in Scotland, no. Many first degrees in Scottish universities are MAs.
Reply 5
Original post by takethyfacehence
Well I did my UCAS application after I left school, for similar reasons. And I think if I'd done it when I was still at school, it would have been complete rubbish, I was just not in the state of mind to do it. Well, I think I could've been pushed into doing it okay, but the thing is when I was at school my form tutor doing my reference didn't know me that well and I didn't trust her writing skills much either. I used a different teacher who I knew a million times more and she was fantastic, helped me out with everything, including support for getting a letter for mitigating circumstances (for depression also).

But enough about me - my point is, it can definitely help. But as some words of caution, make sure this gap year will benefit you. I don't really understand Highers and stuff? But look specifically into what you want to do and if it will help for your future application. And make sure you're taking care of yourself - I did find my gap year quite lonely at times and that did make me feel low.. but that could've been solved if I'd done more with the year!

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you like.

Thanks for replying :smile: I do feel not quite ready to go to university,both mentally and academically,and I feel another year spent gaining more qualifications,improving my main area of study and earning money(I already have a part time job) would really benefit me. I know a friend of mine who did the same thing I'm thinking of,but of course her situation was slightly different.My main concern would be,yeah,becoming unmotivated and possibly lonely.And that universities(mainly that aforementioned one) would frown upon another year of study before applying.
I wouldn't worry about it, I took 3 years out between high school and uni, and my brother took 2 years out between 1st and 2nd year of uni. Also, my brother is doing that course, though he's doing French and Spanish, and he really enjoys it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by flown_muse
I wouldn't worry about it, I took 3 years out between high school and uni, and my brother took 2 years out between 1st and 2nd year of uni. Also, my brother is doing that course, though he's doing French and Spanish, and he really enjoys it :smile:

Not meaning to sound odd,but I feel I came across you on here before :biggrin: I'm glad he enjoys it,the course looks AMAZING. Ahem..Could I ask,why did you take 3 years out between school and uni? Do you think the uni would mind? I really liked the uni at the open day.
Original post by OddThings
Thanks for replying :smile: I do feel not quite ready to go to university,both mentally and academically,and I feel another year spent gaining more qualifications,improving my main area of study and earning money(I already have a part time job) would really benefit me. I know a friend of mine who did the same thing I'm thinking of,but of course her situation was slightly different.My main concern would be,yeah,becoming unmotivated and possibly lonely.And that universities(mainly that aforementioned one) would frown upon another year of study before applying.

You're most welcome. I felt much of the same - I think I might've tipped myself over the edge a little if I'd pushed myself to go to uni straight after school. If you're gonna be studying and working, you should be kept plenty busy, especially with your UCAS application going through, it's a great motivator. From what I know, on the whole unis aren't really fussed about people taking gap years, off the top of my head only people studying maths should be worried because maths is something you need to keep in your brain regularly! Otherwise they don't really mind. As long as you say in your Personal Statement and communicate to your referee all the good things about the extra year, all should be dandy. If you're really worried you could look up on the prospectus or email someone of the uni(s) you want to go to how they look on gap years. If you're really worried and/or if there's a bit of a discrepancy with your grades you could look into (if you haven't already) getting a letter from your doctor for extenuating circumstances for your depression (assuming you've been diagnosed). For me, I did resits in my (first) gap year which I didn't actually do that well in, though I had offers from each of my 5 choices, but when I missed my offer, my firm said they would take me next year (with grades lower than the offer) because of my extenuating circumstances. So yeah. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending