The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QueenPancake
Conditional offer for History and Sociology, AAB :smile: Anybody else doing either of those? xx

I'll be doing sociology (and politics)! :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Conditional offer for politics and economics :smile:
Original post by ZombieYoshi
How strict are hey on getting the grades? As in, if I have an ABB offer and get ABC or BBB will they flat out refuse to let me in or am I still likely to? Or would it depend on the course?

It depends mainly on your course - how competitive it is, and it's likely to be different this year to last year, due to the change in fees so there may be less competition. Last year people were unlikely to be accepted even if they missed their grades by one or two UMS marks, I know a few people who were in that situation. But there were some who got accepted with grades such as BBB when their offer was AAB, so you can't really tell. My course is a Masters degree, and I know when I went for my departmental open day the lecturer who I had an informal one to one with said that if I didn't meet the grades for that course (AAA) but met it for the BSc, I would be accepted on that. So there may be the possibility of getting onto another course if you're set on going to Sheffield.

Original post by purplesparks14
What's Endcliffe like? :biggrin:

Endcliffe's fantastic! I'm in a Ground Floor mixed flat, in Howden, which is right opposite the edge. I absolutely love it! There's 8 of us in our flat, and we get on really well with the flat opposite and a few people from above, so we normally end up going out as a group of about 20, or inviting people over for film nights etc. What's great about Endcliffe is you feel part of a community straight away - everyone's in the same situation and they're all really welcoming and wanting to have a good time. You get to know people very quickly, and end up seeing people you know around most the time. The quality of accommodation in the flats like mine is fantastic too (this applies to Howden, Derwent, Burbage, Birchen, Rivelin, Froggatt, Millstone, Curbar, Yarncliffe, Stanage, Cratcliffe and Lawrencefield in Endcliffe and the Ranmoor standard ensuite rooms). My room's quite big, nice bed, huge desk, big enough wardrobe (I was worried there wouldn't be enough room for all my clothes, but there's plenty) and very handy ensuite wetroom. If you'd like to see any photos let me know :smile: And the kitchen/living area's great too as we have plenty of sofas, a big dining table and chairs and a decent sized kitchen with 2 hobs/ovens, 2 fridges and 2 sinks. If you're in a flat of 10 you get 3 fridges, and in flats of smaller size you may get a breakfast bar and stools instead of a table and chairs. I was slightly concerned about being on the ground floor before I arrived, but I love it now, and wouldn't want anything else! It's so handy just walking straight through the front door without having to bother with any lifts or stairs. And the security in Endcliffe is fantastic - all the windows have restrictors on them so they can't open wide enough to get a person through, there's CCTV all around the village and there's security staff at the Edge 24/7 who act immediately if you have an issue. I actually had to go there one time at 4 in the morning as someone in the flat next door had left something in the oven and gone to bed - filling their kitchen with smoke! The staff came over immediately and sorted it all out.
The walk to uni is pretty much 20 minutes if you go the shortest way, and it's a really nice walk, nothing too strenuous for an early morning :smile: But if you're not a walker, or just feeling lazy, there's a very reliable bus service that comes every 10 minutes from the top of the hill by Endcliffe, which costs 50p anywhere anytime. Really useful if you need to get to the station or into town too! I often get that home in the rain :smile:
Can't think of anything else to say at the moment, except come to Sheffield! It's amazing :biggrin: I'm having the best time of my life there, would thoroughly recommend it to anyone :smile: Feel free to fire any more questions my way!
Original post by bwfcboy93
Conditional offer for Psychology :biggrin: AAB Happy times! :smile:

congrats, I have the same offer! :biggrin:
do you think you'll use it for your firm/insurance?
Reply 584
Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting good accommodation if I put Sheffield down as an insurance offer?
Conditional offer for Aerospace Engineering. AAB :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by queen bert99
X

Hey. whats the organisation like for the year abroad? Ive got an offer for Biology with year abroad and probably going to firm it :biggrin:
Do you know which Uni your going to yet for year abroad?
Original post by MinpoloD
Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting good accommodation if I put Sheffield down as an insurance offer?

Pretty much all of the accommodation at Sheffield is nice. It's in a nice area of Sheffield too.
Username: Zahra..
Course: Psychology
Reply 589
Original post by Emgrace
Hey. whats the organisation like for the year abroad? Ive got an offer for Biology with year abroad and probably going to firm it :biggrin:

is your offer just the year abroad or mbiolsci with year abroad?
Reply 590
Offer for Accounting and Financial Management
ABB or AAC or A*BC , need the grades now :biggrin:
anyone else doing this course? :smile:
Got an offer tonight!

AAB for French and Politics :biggrin:
Reply 592
Anyone doing Hispanic Studies? I just got an offer! :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by Starieyed

Original post by Starieyed
Username: Starieyed
Course: Philosophy and Hispanic Studies

I feel a little late! But I got an offer today and I'm very very happy! :biggrin:

I got an offer today for Hispanic Studies! YAY!
Original post by Emgrace

Hey, congrats on your offer! Sorry but I'm afraid I can't really help you much with that as you don't actually start any of the organisation until 2nd year, so we haven't been told much about it yet, the only information I know is what I've researched myself. One thing that's good though is my tutor group is all people doing the year abroad course (there's just 9 of us for maths), and our tutor is the year abroad co-ordinator, so if we have any questions regarding it we know who to go to. Plus since we're all in the same tutor group, we've pretty much all made friends and that's my main friendship group from my course, so we can all discuss the year abroad, and come 4th year we're planning on living together when we come back, as we may not know other people. So that side of the organisation is good :smile: I'm not sure yet which uni I'd like to go to, but I think I'd like to go to Australia. I have friends planning on going to each of the different countries though :smile:

I would definitely recommend firming sheffield though! I'm actually planning on doing a biology module next semester too :smile: I had a look at their department when I was applying and it looked fantastic. I also have a couple of friends doing biology/zoology and they seem to be enjoying it! :biggrin:

Feel free to ask me any more questions :smile:
Reply 595
just received an offer for Speech Science at Sheffield!! yaaaaaaay :biggrin:
Reply 596
just received an offer for Law at Uni of Sheff :biggrin: AAA though :biggrin:
Reply 597
Original post by montoya93
is your offer just the year abroad or mbiolsci with year abroad?

Masters with year abroad :smile:

Original post by queen bert99
Hey, congrats on your offer! Sorry but I'm afraid I can't really help you much with that as you don't actually start any of the organisation until 2nd year, so we haven't been told much about it yet, the only information I know is what I've researched myself. One thing that's good though is my tutor group is all people doing the year abroad course (there's just 9 of us for maths), and our tutor is the year abroad co-ordinator, so if we have any questions regarding it we know who to go to. Plus since we're all in the same tutor group, we've pretty much all made friends and that's my main friendship group from my course, so we can all discuss the year abroad, and come 4th year we're planning on living together when we come back, as we may not know other people. So that side of the organisation is good :smile: I'm not sure yet which uni I'd like to go to, but I think I'd like to go to Australia. I have friends planning on going to each of the different countries though :smile:

I would definitely recommend firming sheffield though! I'm actually planning on doing a biology module next semester too :smile: I had a look at their department when I was applying and it looked fantastic. I also have a couple of friends doing biology/zoology and they seem to be enjoying it! :biggrin:

Feel free to ask me any more questions :smile:

Ahh its a good idea putting you all together. I was worrying about having no friends when I got back from the year abroad :P
Not sure if Australia is for me, I burn rather easily :-/ North america looks awesome though for me, so much choice! :biggrin: And all the states seem really different.
Thanks for answering :smile:
Reply 598
Original post by Emgrace
Masters with year abroad :smile:

Well done :smile: do you think you'll use sheffield as your firm/insurance?
Reply 599
yayyyy got an offer today for human communication science - BBB yayyyyy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending