The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by tehFrance
whereas the UK and France have a fair bit in common

Really? Like what? Apart from empire building, fighting each other and jokes involving citizens of the country?

Iraq is an illegal war that had no basis for invasion, why should France be dragged into an illegal invasion force?

It wasn't an illegal war. It was a just war based on (admittedly faulty, but we didn't know that at the time) evidence that Iraq had nuclear weapons and a duty to clean up the mess caused by certain western countries. We liberated Iraq and what did France do? Nothing, except pass moral judgement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
If the UK became the 51st state we'd be the most populous, have the most number of senators and congressmen and generally just be a huge voting bloc that could derail the rest of the country.

Err no. All states have the same number of senators (2). California with about 30 million people has the same number of senators as Rhode Island with one million people.
Regarding the title - you mean Britain not just England - they are not synonymous.
This is what (rightly or wrongly) most Brits think of Americans : (follow link - v. funny :smile: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

It wasn't an illegal war. It was a just war based on (admittedly faulty, but we didn't know that at the time) evidence that Iraq had nuclear weapons and a duty to clean up the mess caused by certain western countries. We liberated Iraq and what did France do? Nothing, except pass moral judgement.

Moral judgement is terrible :wink:. Surely you should verify evidence before you invade a country.
Reply 183
Original post by DYKWIA
Really? Like what? Apart from empire building, fighting each other and jokes involving citizens of the country?

Because France didn't want its soldiers to be killed in a pointless war. Most Brits also opposed the war with over a million protesting against it yet our government still carried it through.
Original post by Lewis :D
Because France didn't want its soldiers to be killed in a pointless war. Most Brits also opposed the war with over a million protesting against it yet our government still carried it through.

I'm fairly sure that polls were majority in favour here until several months after it began. One million people, while a lot to persuade to attend a single protest, is a lot less than a majority.
Original post by Sharri5
No thank you. The brits are too sour for my taste. It's like they walk around with a permanent frown on their face. I mean, what are they so depressed about? Is life really that bad? They also tend to take everything too seriously.

LOL, have you ever been to the UK?
Reply 186

Perhaps they felt an obligation to help seeing as they were the ones who put Hussein in power. Doesn't imperialism suck?
Original post by tehFrance
My house is more than 200 years old....

Also although the United Kingdom has some cultural norms that are shared with the United States, there is not a lot more in common, Australia and Canada shares more cultural norms that we do with the US.

As for Europe, the UK has a lot in common with the Germanic countries then the US and hell the UK has a lot in common with France (hell of a lot of shared and interwind history that goes further back than 200 years of the US) which people deny but is the unfortunate truth :lol:

You're right - we love you really, we just don't like to show it because we think it's gloating. You know, bad sportsmanship after beating you again and again in all those wars :tongue:

(I'll just ignore the Hundred Years War)
Original post by DYKWIA
Perhaps they felt an obligation to help seeing as they were the ones who put Hussein in power. Doesn't imperialism suck?

Yeah, imperialism does suck. Shame that it was the United States that put Saddam in power, not us.
Reply 189
Original post by DYKWIA

It was the USA who put Saddam into power.
Reply 190

Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Yeah, imperialism does suck. Shame that it was the United States that put Saddam in power, not us.

No they didn't. They supported him against Iran, they didn't install him.

It was the British who installed the Hashemite dynasty that led to the rise of the Ba'athists.
(edited 12 years ago)
To be fair, the Americans are doing quite well considering how many of them are descendants of convicts shipped from Britiain hundreds of years ago.

Many don't seem to believe that this is true. Proof :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_Act_1717
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by theshowmustgoon
To be fair, the Americans are doing quite well considering how many of them are descendants of convicts shipped from Britiain hundreds of years ago.

Erm, wrong country dude :facepalm2:
Reply 193
Original post by Ferdowsi
No they didn't. They supported him against Iran, they didn't install him.

It was the British who installed the Hashemite dynasty that led to the rise of the Ba'athists.

Sorry - my post wasn't clear. I was trying to say that the USA supported Saddam due to his opposition to the Soviets, not that they installed him. The Brits didn't install Saddam, they may have initiated the process, but his installation wasn't done by the British.
Reply 194
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mandate_of_Mesopotamia. The unrest that led to the rise of Hussein was entirely caused by the british empire.
Erm, wrong country dude :facepalm2:

Nope - Britain shipped convicts to Australia and America

See Piracy Act 1717. So you are wrong and I was right.
(edited 12 years ago)
We already go to war with whoever you fancy, isn't that enough?
Reply 197
Sorry - my post wasn't clear. I was trying to say that the USA supported Saddam due to his opposition to the Soviets, not that they installed him. The Brits didn't install Saddam, they may have initiated the process, but his installation wasn't done by the British.

Yes but the meddling in Iraq by the British empire undoubtedly led to the rise of Saddam.
Reply 198
Original post by theshowmustgoon
Nope - Britain shipped convicts to Australia and America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States#Geography_and_environment
See Piracy Act 1717. So you are wrong and I was right.

wut lol?

you linked me to the geography and environment of the USA wikipedia page.
wut lol?

you linked me to the geography and environment of the USA wikipedia page.

Ooops sorry - wrong section of wiki. But search the Piracy Act 1717 on google then unfacepalm me :smile:

We shipped convicts to America and then after the American revolution we sent them to Australia
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending