The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DYKWIA
It has nothing to do with jealousy.

You are jealous that you don't have people in your country like we brits do. We have the most witty, intellectual and entertaining people that your country lack :u:
If your not jealous then why else are you frustrating over the fact we won't join your country? Obviously you are jealous that we are more connected with the EU more than the US :u:

Gun Crime happens all over the United States anyway, so blaming Mexico won't work. With obesity 2/3 of your country are overweight and/or obese, that's way more compared to any other country, 200 million of your country is overweight. Congratulations fatasses. And saying "But your country is not far behind" won't work because the statistics don't even compare to the overweight figures of your country, or should I say the fattest nation on this planet.

As for racism, well, look at your history and current affairs. Figures.
Are you going to reply to my previous post post or not, DYKWIA?

Original post by DYKWIA
It has nothing to do with jealousy. I like my country.

I have maybe 30+ supporters - that should be obvious from my OP.

We only have high gun crime in states that border with mexico, so you can't really blame us for that. Also, people in our country are no more obese than any other. In fact your precious England is third fattest in the world! As for racism - I don't know where you got that idea from?

Correction ours is tenth, yours is third.

http://www.expatify.com/news/the-worlds-top-10-fattest-countries.html
Original post by ifstatement
You are jealous that you don't have people in your country like we brits do. We have the most witty, intellectual and entertaining people that your country lack :u:

You need some evidence for that statement. Luckily I had some ready :wink:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA
It has nothing to do with jealousy. I like my country.

I have maybe 30+ supporters - that should be obvious from my OP.

We only have high gun crime in states that border with mexico, so you can't really blame us for that. Also, people in our country are no more obese than any other. In fact your precious England is third fattest in the world! As for racism - I don't know where you got that idea from?

*******s... There are high gun crime rates in lots more places than just the states that boarder Mexico, that's just a lie.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state
Delaware certainly isn't near Mexico, it's on the east coast. And what about South Carolina? Also on the east coast and has a terrible gun crime rate.
Places like Canada have just 4.78 gun related deaths per anum, and the England+Walse has 0.46 (almost at the bottom of the list)... The USA over all has 15.22, right near the top.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Nice try though. That first link shows that there is high gun crime in many states of America, not just the ones near Mexico.

Original post by DYKWIA
I don't agree with you, it is the best IMO.

All the facts are correct, despite the occasional hyperbole. I think what he said about the British and them hating freedom is especially truthful.

You're stupid, making ridiculous assumptions about the British hating freedom. We very much love our freedom, thank you. Now stop trying to stir the pot.
Original post by DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA

So, all this is because IN YOUR OPINION the USA is the best country in the world. No wonder you're not able to provide much evidence other than the arguments of the playground.

Child 1 "My dad's bigger than your dad"
Child 2 "No my dad's bigger than your dad"
Child 1 "No my dad's bigger than your dad"
Child 2 "No my dad's bigger than your dad .... no wait you're american .... he's probably the fattest man for miles around"
Reply 1185
Original post by BioFurMatPhyStudent
We're getting gay marriage legalized in 2015 hopefully.

:lolwut: Erm, if you're gay how many states can you be refused service again?

I don't like gay marriage, no, but if someone feels the need to have one they can always move to somewhere like NY and be openly gay there.
Original post by DYKWIA
I don't like gay marriage, no, but if someone feels the need to have one they can always move to somewhere like NY and be openly gay there.

It's pretty discriminatory that someone is forced to move to another part of the country because of something that is beyond their control. People should be free to be gay, and get married, whereever they like. Being forced to move somewhere is not freedom.
Reply 1187
Original post by Emaemmaemily
It's pretty discriminatory that someone is forced to move to another part of the country because of something that is beyond their control. People should be free to be gay, and get married, whereever they like. Being forced to move somewhere is not freedom.

No, I feel gay marriage is damaging to society. It is not something they need. In fact gays are free to do what they like in private. Sometimes freedoms have to be restricted. Do you think murder should be legal? Or polygamy?
Original post by DYKWIA
No, I feel gay marriage is damaging to society. It is not something they need. In fact gays are free to do what they like in private. Sometimes freedoms have to be restricted. Do you think murder should be legal? Or polygamy?

Haha, but when we say the freedoms we think should be restricted, you claim that's a reason our country isn't as good as yours.
Gay marriage does no damage to society, how could it possibly? It's a couple affirming their love for each other and then continuing to be legally bonded just like straight married couples.
Reply 1189
The logic that you guys used for the Death Penalty can also be applied for Gay Rights in the US. Just because he's a blazing righty doesn't mean America as a whole is.
Reply 1190
Original post by DYKWIA

You just compared polygamy to murder and you're really wondering why the whole world hates the US...

Maybe you people will become less arrogant once your economy completely fails and you lose your superpower status. I mean, China already owns you (they actually do, just like the bank owns your house when you don't pay your mortgage), it's only a matter of time before you become completely insignificant.
It's a shame really, but maybe then the intelligent americans (and I know there are a lot of those) will get a stronger voice and reform your backwards system.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

Well I feel it isn't damaging to society. I'm pretty sure over 90% of people on here would agree with me.

Murder, no. Polygamy, yes. I don't even understand why you would use the last example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA

All the facts are correct, despite the occasional hyperbole. I think what he said about the British and them hating freedom is especially truthful.

OK, so you are stating that the book is well-written and truthful, and that the bit about us not liking freedom as being particularly accurate.

Just thought I’d display the bit you are talking about so everybody can see.

“The Englishman doesn’t like hearing about freedom because he doesn’t have any. Today’s Britain gives the appearance of being a free and open society, but anyone who has lived there a significant length of time knows that not to be the case. Every car that enters downtown London is photographed by government cameras, which capture the licence plates and sends the owner bills. Commit a more serious transgression and you will be hauled into a private interrogation chamber by one of the most brutal intelligence organisations in the world. That’s Scotland Yard, a gang of pug-faced louts who have been disappearing cantankerous Irishmen for decades. Worst of all are the ASBOs short for antisocial behaviour orders Any friend or neighbour annoyed by a fellow Brit's behavior can go before a judge and demand an ASBO to stop you from having parties, making noise, even smoking out on the sloop, Break the ASBO, and you risk being sent to prison for up to five years. Neighbors slapped Alexander Maut,
an eighty-seven-year-old man from Merseyside, with an ASBO to stop him from saying sarcastic things to their visitors.

In America. we indulge such curmudgeonly behavior for it reminds us of the rugged individualism from which we sprang Britain prizes conformity above all and uses the law to beat the slightest deviation from the community’s standard of upright propriety.”

I actually think that this is so simple to rip to shreds, I wouldn’t normally bother, but, since it’s you, here are just a few initial thoughts don’t worry there is loads more where this came from

1) We have the congestion charge in London your government charges for driving on freeways, Local government in London chargesfor driving in certain areas of London at certain times. Many don’t like it since they end up paying more, but as for the issue of it reducing liberty, yeah, there will always be the occasional person still rattling on about it, but they are getting quieter nowadays since it is obviously not abused

2) What’s this about Scotland Yard never even heard of those allegations before and if by “cantankerous Irishmen”, the book is referring to IRA terrorists who are responsible for countless deaths in this country mainly through bombs, and who tried to assassinate Margaret Thatcher, and then when they run out of funds, they scurried off to America and filled up their coffers in order to kill more innocent people, well.... I’m sure they wouldn’t have a smooth ride in the USA either if they had done the same thing over there. As for any of them disappearing, never heard of that one can you supply a verifiable reference (other than this toilet reading) since this is a strong allegation and needs to be properly scrutinised
3) ASBOs are a joke in this country designed to tackle minor misdemeanours they are not working since they are largely unenforceable, obviously there are exceptions, and also, the definition of what deserves an ASBO and what doesn’t is open to interpretation. Nobody can demand an ASBO you may take somebody to court and it is up to the judge to decide whether an ASBO is served. Many young people are proud of their ASBO and see it as a badge of honour to brag about to their mates
4) The one actual fact that one could look up, and the writer got the spelling wrong it was Alexander Muat. Not Maut. Look him up. Whether or not he should have received an ASBO for what he did was debatable, but what is quite clear is that he has been driving his car at neighbours, which surely must be dangerous, as well as other things, over many years which must have been very infuriating going around the neighbourhood banging dustbin lids in the middle of the night, making threats whilst swinging a chair around his head, swearing and spitting at the local children etc. Etc., A LOT more than "being sarcastic to visitors"

And that is all....... The most amazing thing about this book is that it makes a sweeping claim, then picks out two or three facts, getting details wrong, taking things out of context and ignoring 99.9% of the evidence that is the obvious truth.

It is your choice what you read, and there is plenty of good literature out there, but if you wish to poison your mind with this rubbish, please don’t feel hard done by if people take issue with what you say
Original post by DYKWIA

Did you just compare homosexuality to murder? You cannot be serious.

You. Cannot. Be. Serious.

Reply 1194
What's even more worrying than this idiot (DYKWIA) is that people are generalizing a country of 350 million people on his words.

So why is gay marriage illegal in the UK?
Original post by Made in the USA

Because the government is currently looking comprehensively into how it should be applied in the UK, it will be legal as of 2015. It's taking time because it's going through its consultation period.
The UK should invade the US and take back what is ours by right!
Original post by Made in the USA

We're in the middle of trying to change that, and British people as a whole generally agree that there is nothign wrong with gay marriage. They are currently changing the laws and it will be legal in 2015 once the legislation has gone through.

But, I wasn't talking about the UK. I was challenging an individual's claim that gay marriage is bad for society, and he has yet to answer.
Reply 1199
Original post by Lewis :D
Because the government is currently looking comprehensively into how it should be applied in the UK, it will be legal as of 2015. It's taking time because it's going through its consultation period.

Or because they realize it's a bad idea and want to delay it as long as possible.

We're in the middle of trying to change that, and British people as a whole generally agree that there is nothign wrong with gay marriage. They are currently changing the laws and it will be legal in 2015 once the legislation has gone through.

But, I wasn't talking about the UK. I was challenging an individual's claim that gay marriage is bad for society, and he has yet to answer.

I have stated this numerous times. It is likely that it would lead to more gay people and more gay kids.

Latest

Trending

Trending