The Student Room Group

Dropped out, worried people will judge me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eman
I dropped out of uni today for a number of reasons that I wont delve into, and I'm really worried how everyone I know will react when I tell them and what they will think of me. I feel as though I've let down my parents in particular, I hyped up so much how much I was looking forward to it all and so soon after starting I've already bailed out. They expected so much of me after I left for uni so I feel as though they will now see me as a failure.

Has anyone here dropped out, and if so how did people around you react to it? Were they supportive of you or did you feel they were judgemental? It's really worrying me but this decision is one I just had to make.

In all honesty, yes some people will judge you, even if they don't see it to your face. But don't let them worry you; clearly they have no idea about how hard university can be, particularly if you don't enjoy your subject. The people who have actually had experience of university life will realise that the decision you took was the mature one.

Think about it this way: If you had a reason significant enough to not carry on with your degree, then chances are it would have been significant enough to effect your studies. As a result, you may well have failed your degree - then people would judge you, and rightly so.
Reply 21
Original post by Rascacielos
In all honesty, yes some people will judge you, even if they don't see it to your face. But don't let them worry you; clearly they have no idea about how hard university can be, particularly if you don't enjoy your subject. The people who have actually had experience of university life will realise that the decision you took was the mature one.

You'd be surprised some people who have experienced Uni won't think nicely as well, especially those who have a 'wonderful' experience doing it and they think 'everyone' could do Uni because 'they' could.

Think about it this way: If you had a reason significant enough to not carry on with your degree, then chances are it would have been significant enough to effect your studies. As a result, you may well have failed your degree - then people would judge you, and rightly so.

Although I could came to a conclusion on what you're trying to say here, please, elaborate.
Original post by kka25
You'd be surprised some people who have experienced Uni won't think nicely as well, especially those who have a 'wonderful' experience doing it and they think 'everyone' could do Uni because 'they' could.

Then clearly something is wrong with their 'experience' of university life because I expect 95% of students will realise university is hard, and would certainly empathise with someone who wasn't enjoying their course (because that makes everything 10 million times as difficult). But my point still stands: you don't need to be upset or intimidated by those people who judge you on a personal decision, which at the end of the day was a very mature one. Maybe you did make a mistake in applying for that specific degree, but there's no point in dwelling on something that's happened - you have to deal with the situation as it is, as best as you possibly can.

Original post by kka25
Although I could came to a conclusion on what you're trying to say here, please, elaborate.

In the absence of extenuating circumstances, if you get to the end of your degree and fail it or get a very low pass, then I think people do have the right to judge you. Presumably then you will have gone through the majority of your degree working at this low level and haven't taken the initiative to do anything about it (whether that is simply a case of working harder, or realising that the degree just isn't for you and dropping out). I respect much more those who admit to themselves that they aren't enjoying their degree/simply find it too difficult despite their best efforts to remedy any issues, than those who struggle on through their degree, hating it and/or knowing that they'll probably fail at the end.
Reply 23
Original post by Rascacielos
Then clearly something is wrong with their 'experience' of university life because I expect 95% of students will realise university is hard, and would certainly empathise with someone who wasn't enjoying their course (because that makes everything 10 million times as difficult). But my point still stands: you don't need to be upset or intimidated by those people who judge you on a personal decision, which at the end of the day was a very mature one. Maybe you did make a mistake in applying for that specific degree, but there's no point in dwelling on something that's happened - you have to deal with the situation as it is, as best as you possibly can.

That 5% is the ones that are going to make the OP's life miserable. And yes, they are out there.

Other then that, I agree with the rest of the quote.

In the absence of extenuating circumstances, if you get to the end of your degree and fail it or get a very low pass, then I think people do have the right to judge you. Presumably then you will have gone through the majority of your degree working at this low level and haven't taken the initiative to do anything about it (whether that is simply a case of working harder, or realising that the degree just isn't for you and dropping out). I respect much more those who admit to themselves that they aren't enjoying their degree/simply find it too difficult despite their best efforts to remedy any issues, than those who struggle on through their degree, hating it and/or knowing that they'll probably fail at the end.

Wait. How does a person know that they might fail their degree at the end here? If they hate it so much, they would have probably left. Surely, if they know that they are going to fail, they are going to leave as well. There must be a reason why they had to struggle and stayed; family pressure, scholarship requirements, funds, future, etc? Even if they dislike the course, sometimes outside factors force them to stay and what could they do about it? :dontknow:

No people have to right to judge anyone here. It's their level best and that's the best they could do. Unless if they have been partying all night, playing the fool, not taking their studies seriously, etc, AND not even regretting it, then something has gone totally wrong here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah I think the opinions so far have been pretty honest.
Your parents are going to be disappointed in you, particularly if they have degrees, but you made your decision after -hopefully- a lot of consideration and now its time to figure out what your next step is.
Nothing you say is going to really have an impact on how people are going to view the fact that you dropped out, being successful in your life might :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Tasha 11
University helps get a job.... theres a lot of competition out there... id recommend you go to a different one or some kind of a course cause i dont honestly know how you can get a good paying job! it might be possible...but you have to get lucky
look just get a grip, who cares if whatever, people e bullying just concentrate why you are there. To STUDY.
Your parents will only be upset because going to university is a huge step and helps you find a job. To be honest you should be more worried about your future then what everyones going to think.
What does it matter. Maybe this could be a possible reason why you dropped out?
I used to care too much, moved away from my studies but now im back on track, i dont caree and its a lot easier to get to revision,.
Glad i figured this out soon.
But if you do go back to uni.. get a degree that actually helps in getting a job!
Good luck xxxx

As someone also at uni, I have to say yes uni to an extent 'helps' get a job, but it doesn't gurantee a job. Lots of people these days still seem to go to uni with the thought that it does, then face the reality when they graduate..

Having relevant experience to go along with a degree nowadays seems to be the icing on the cake because literally everyone has a degree.

The question is how to differentiate yourself from the rest of other people who also hold a degree..

OP don't worry, theres plenty of A Level schemes/other ways into careers out there too. Maybe take this year to work out what you want to do. Good luck. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kka25
That 5% is the ones that are going to make the OP's life miserable. And yes, they are out there.

Other then that, I agree with the rest of the quote.

Wait. How does a person know that they might fail their degree at the end here? If they hate it so much, they would have probably left. Surely, if they know that they are going to fail, they are going to leave as well. There must be a reason why they had to struggle and stayed; family pressure, scholarship requirements, funds, future, etc? Even if they dislike the course, sometimes outside factors force them to stay and what could they do about it? :dontknow:

No people have to right to judge anyone here. It's their level best and that's the best they could do. Unless if they have been partying all night, playing the fool, not taking their studies seriously, etc, AND not even regretting it, then something has gone totally wrong here.

Aside from extenuating circumstances, which I've already mentioned. I can't think of any other reasons for someone failing their degree, apart from ones that are entirely their own fault. At university, you're an adult with ultimate responsibility for yourself and your studies. A third class degree isn't going to get you far, and a fail certainly won't, so why bother staying when you could be spending that time lost doing something more productive?
Reply 27
Original post by Eman
I dropped out of uni today for a number of reasons that I wont delve into, and I'm really worried how everyone I know will react when I tell them and what they will think of me. I feel as though I've let down my parents in particular, I hyped up so much how much I was looking forward to it all and so soon after starting I've already bailed out. They expected so much of me after I left for uni so I feel as though they will now see me as a failure.

Has anyone here dropped out, and if so how did people around you react to it? Were they supportive of you or did you feel they were judgemental? It's really worrying me but this decision is one I just had to make.

Don't feel bad about your decision. It obviously the right choice for you, and it's probably better that you left now rather than struggling on for the next X number of years being miserable.

I know plenty of people who either dropped out, or didn't go to uni in the first place, and they're all perfectly successful.

Plus, you can always change your mind and apply for uni again in the future should you wish to.
Original post by Eman

Your parents may seem disappointed for a while, but you need to do what's best for you. If you feel like you made the right choice, then your parents should be supportive of it. :smile:
Reply 29
My parents were disappointed but supportive. Dont think anyone else cared.
Think the important thing to do is keep yourself busy for the next months and don't necessarily write off education forever as you might well find a different course in a few years time.
Reply 30
Just say my username to them.
Reply 31
Original post by DontJudge
Just say my username to them.

with that lipstick on.

if you're a guy like me, then don't do it! (I mean wearing the lipstick)
Reply 32
Original post by kka25
with that lipstick on.

if you're a guy like me, then don't do it! (I mean wearing the lipstick)

Why?
Whats wrong with my lipstick :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by DontJudge
Why?
Whats wrong with my lipstick :frown:

owh no. I wanted to write 'with that luscious lipstick on'. To show confidence?

I don't know. Forget it <curls up in bed with disappointment>
Reply 34
oh they will.

Probably won't look good that you couldn't hack it at uni. Why did you drop out?
Reply 35
Original post by kka25
owh no. I wanted to write 'with that luscious lipstick on'. To show confidence?

I don't know. Forget it <curls up in bed with disappointment>

Oh lol :h:
Don't worry i get ya.
Yes it does show confidence, it actually can be good advice.
I used to wear this colour alot.

Why does it seem a little vivacious? :eyeball:
Why did I get a negative rating for that? :|
Reply 37
Personally I have more repsect for someone to have gone to Uni and dropped out rather than not to have gone at all.
Reply 38
Original post by Airel
Personally I have more repsect for someone to have gone to Uni and dropped out rather than not to have gone at all.

Care to tell more about it?
Reply 39
Original post by lady_leon
Why did I get a negative rating for that? :|

drive by neggers :unsure: have a +:top:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending