The Student Room Group

Dropped out, worried people will judge me

I dropped out of uni today for a number of reasons that I wont delve into, and I'm really worried how everyone I know will react when I tell them and what they will think of me. I feel as though I've let down my parents in particular, I hyped up so much how much I was looking forward to it all and so soon after starting I've already bailed out. They expected so much of me after I left for uni so I feel as though they will now see me as a failure.

Has anyone here dropped out, and if so how did people around you react to it? Were they supportive of you or did you feel they were judgemental? It's really worrying me but this decision is one I just had to make.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eman
I dropped out of uni today for a number of reasons that I wont delve into, and I'm really worried how everyone I know will react when I tell them and what they will think of me. I feel as though I've let down my parents in particular, I hyped up so much how much I was looking forward to it all and so soon after starting I've already bailed out. They expected so much of me after I left for uni so I feel as though they will now see me as a failure.

Has anyone here dropped out, and if so how did people around you react to it? Were they supportive of you or did you feel they were judgemental? It's really worrying me but this decision is one I just had to make.

Parents will obv be dissapointed they may reassure u but inevitably dissapointed. Why did you drop out? didnt like ur course?
Reply 2
Loads of people drop out of uni and they all survive. Just move on, work out what your next project is and work on making a success of that. People might think you've failed? But I doubt it, and especially if they see you working hard.
Reply 3
do you have any plans now that you've dropped out?
Reply 4
I dropped out of Uni, parents realise I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions. Sure it feels a bit crappy telling people you dropped out, but if it was a waste of your time and money and a mistake going in the first place like it was for me, then don't feel bad.
Reply 5
Then don't feel bad mate, you needed to make a decision and you made it. Better now than £20,000 in the red.
Original post by Eman

I don't know what your reasons for dropping out were - the first thing I am going to say is that dropping out of things is definitely not a good thing to do. Having said that, I dropped out of a course that was not for me - and where I didn't get on with people - and I am now in the 3rd year of a Mathematics degree. You can take on another degree if you desire - just don't drop out again.

As for telling people - rephrase it in such a way so as to make yourself look better. Say that you couldn't see yourself working in this field, or that you didn't want to do it for a career or that it was to academic (if it was a science degree) or that when you investigated you found low rates of employment so it wasn't worth the money (if it's an arts degree)

Most importantly have a clear plan for the future. As long as you have an alternative you wish to pursue, people are going to accept, even respect the choice you made to drop out of a course that wasn't for you.
Reply 7
don't worry, life is not limited to going to uni :smile:, just enjoy whatever you decide to do :wink:
Reply 8
thats a shame but its better to go and realise its really not fcor you than to not go at all and always wish you had/wonder what could have been if you had gone and better now before you waste 3 years of your life and a ton of money on something youre not passionate about. sure they will probably be a bit surprised and disappointed but just explain to people that it really wasnt the best place for you to be and that it was the right decision for you and theyll come round to the idea/see its for the best (hopefully, i mean i know my parents would be more annoyed id stayed at uni/doing something just for other people/to please them rather than what makes me happy).
Reply 9
Unforunatley your parents will probably initially be disapointed, its only natural for caring parents to feel disapointed at a time like this, so don't worry, if people see you're making an effort to better yourself in life despite dropping out then nobody will judge, although if you do nothing all day from now on people will most likely judge, my advice would be to pick yourself up and peruse something different, whether that be getting a job or anything!

You say due to personal issues you don't think you can do it now as your heads not in the right place? Well maybe a few years down the line you may feel different, personal issues may have calmed down and you may feel like you'll be able to return to uni, maybe not though.

Just hold your head up high and nobody will think about judging , it is your decision and your life, nobody elses!
I dropped out. I think people judge me, yes, but who cares really.
Reply 11
Original post by Eman

Hi Eman :smile:
I'm sorry to hear you had to drop out university, it must be you went through rough moments before getting to this decision. All parents (especially where I come from) have high expectations for their children and want all the best for them. However, sometimes life events leads us to difficult situation and we just had to give up. I don't know how you're feeling right now about this dropping out, but i think if you're going to "worry" what people or parents going to say then it might get worse.

Now I don't know why you're assuming they might look at you as a failure. I guess the best thing to do is to ignore negative comments from people ( i know it's hard ) and if it doesn't exist, then they would probably never thought about it, and will understand your situation.

I guess no such a thing is called failure, there's always a 2nd chance especially when it comes to university. I think instead of dwelling yourself about people thoughts about you, is to might think how would you like to proceed now.

Dunno if this might help, I personally haven't dropped out university, but interrupted my medical education for a year, as I felt i really needed this break. My family were unhappy in beginning, but then they understood my situation and provided all the support.

Hope things gets better with you.
I'd drop out too if I was going to Huddersfield. Next time pick a better uni.
Reply 13
University helps get a job.... theres a lot of competition out there... id recommend you go to a different one or some kind of a course cause i dont honestly know how you can get a good paying job! it might be possible...but you have to get lucky
look just get a grip, who cares if whatever, people e bullying just concentrate why you are there. To STUDY.
Your parents will only be upset because going to university is a huge step and helps you find a job. To be honest you should be more worried about your future then what everyones going to think.
What does it matter. Maybe this could be a possible reason why you dropped out?
I used to care too much, moved away from my studies but now im back on track, i dont caree and its a lot easier to get to revision,.
Glad i figured this out soon.
But if you do go back to uni.. get a degree that actually helps in getting a job!
Good luck xxxx
Reply 14
I hated telling people that I'd dropped out, so I know how you feel! I was always the one they expected would go to a top 10 uni to do some academic subject...but I went to a crap university and did Graphic Design. And hated it. Haha. Oh well.

Although I really didn't want to tell anyone I'd dropped out, when I did I didn't feel like anyone actually judged me for it. Especially not my parents or friends, and I don't care what anyone else thinks tbh. I got more slightly judging comments when I started studying with the OU...the whole "but that's not a real university/degree" thing was mentioned by multiple people. However, most of my friends who stayed at uni graduated a year and a half ago and mostly live with their parents doing basic non-graduate jobs, whereas I moved out last year & have had enough money saved up to go on holiday twice a year, and I'm doing my degree for almost no cost. So now I'm the one feeling smug, haha.

Don't let it get to you! I'm so glad I dropped out. Only wish I did it sooner tbh - or just didn't go at all.
People judge everyone. So yes they will, but if they are good people they won't assume anything but be concerned and wonder why.
Reply 16
Original post by Eman

:hugs:
Reply 17
You may get weird looks from people when you tell them. But listen here's the thing, you dropped out because of your problems, the others dont understand what type of a situation you were in and what you were going through neither you can expect them to understand. So just ignore them (not always easy) keep your head high and stick to those who love you no matter what. If you keep thinking about how people will judge over everything, its just gonna make your life really really complicated.
Everyone was completely judgmental with me, to the point where I had someone annoying me about it every few months.

Back now though, different degree, going well so far :h:
Reply 19
Original post by flown_muse
Everyone was completely judgmental with me, to the point where I had someone annoying me about it every few months.
Back now though, different degree, going well so far :h:

What did they do to you mind if I ask?

Good to know you're back in Uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending