The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are his books any good?

Went to see my psychiatrist and he was quite shocked by the change in me. It's very good timing from the Lord because he was about to try putting me on lithium to see whether I'm bipolar :eek:

I've read the first of Pope Benedict's books on Jesus which was a good and easy read.

Hope the shock was of pleasant surprise! Lithium's not a nice drug - but it is the best drug for Bipolar disorder. Have you read any of Kathleen Jamison's books? Her autobiography 'An Unquiet Mind' is terrific. She is now a psychiatrist herself despite having Bipolar disorder and being on major drugs including lithium. I find her story very inspirational as it shows that serious mental health disorder is no bar to working fulltime in a demanding profession. :smile:
Thanks for your prayers LG! You are in mine too! :smile:
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
I've read the first of Pope Benedict's books on Jesus which was a good and easy read.

Hope the shock was of pleasant surprise! Lithium's not a nice drug - but it is the best drug for Bipolar disorder. Have you read any of Kathleen Jamison's books? Her autobiography 'An Unquiet Mind' is terrific. She is now a psychiatrist herself despite having Bipolar disorder and being on major drugs including lithium. I find her story very inspirational as it shows that serious mental health disorder is no bar to working fulltime in a demanding profession. :smile:

Clearly I'll have to put this book on my (rather long) reading list :yes:

Yes, he was very pleased. He even smiled for once :eek: He usually has the most disconcertingly blank face I've ever seen :s-smilie: I haven't heard of her, no. Will have to check it out sometime. The bipolar diagnosis is just one of many ideas, rather than a definite thing, but it's a new addition to the list.

I really hope I'll be able to work full-time one day :smile:
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk

I'm reading Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth: Part 1 at the moment, it's quite a lovely read :yep: That's awful though, how you've been feeling, prayer sent up for you :smile:

In other news I attended my first Cath Soc meeting tonight :woo: Awesome bunch of people, made some great friends. AND FREE FOOD! :woo:

They also asked for ideas on what to do and they seemed to like what I had to offer :yep:

I said we should be doing Eucharistic adoration, vocations events and something else which I've forgetten for the time being....... :ninja: I'll try and remember.
Original post by adamrules247
I'm reading Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth: Part 1 at the moment, it's quite a lovely read :yep: That's awful though, how you've been feeling, prayer sent up for you :smile:

In other news I attended my first Cath Soc meeting tonight :woo: Awesome bunch of people, made some great friends. AND FREE FOOD! :woo:

They also asked for ideas on what to do and they seemed to like what I had to offer :yep:

I said we should be doing Eucharistic adoration, vocations events and something else which I've forgetten for the time being....... :ninja: I'll try and remember.

Ah, glad you had a good first meeting and that they liked your ideas! Vocation events sounds interesting. Do you think there would be enough demand though? Or do you mean things like guest speakers? :smile:
Ah, glad you had a good first meeting and that they liked your ideas! Vocation events sounds interesting. Do you think there would be enough demand though? Or do you mean things like guest speakers? :smile:

One of them seemed a bit wary but when I sort of said why I thought it was important, such as by pointing out that most Catholics don't even know that everybody is called to a vocation (the priesthood, religious life, celibacy and marriage) she seemed to jump on board :smile: Don't know what sort of stuff it would involve. I'm going to contact the vocations director from Southwark whom I met at Walsingham.
One of them seemed a bit wary but when I sort of said why I thought it was important, such as by pointing out that most Catholics don't even know that everybody is called to a vocation (the priesthood, religious life, celibacy and marriage) she seemed to jump on board :smile: Don't know what sort of stuff it would involve. I'm going to contact the vocations director from Southwark whom I met at Walsingham.

I guess when you say the word "vocation" in a Catholic context, peoples' minds automatically jump to the priesthood or religious life. In our secular society, marriage is just something we do, so it's good you pointed out that it's a vocation :smile:
I guess when you say the word "vocation" in a Catholic context, peoples' minds automatically jump to the priesthood or religious life. In our secular society, marriage is just something we do, so it's good you pointed out that it's a vocation :smile:

Thanks :smile: The thing is is that she actually knew this, she's a convert like me. Her RCIA class though was three years long and they studied as part of the course all the documents of Vatican II :eek4: But because she knew this she thought all Catholics knew this.

Don't forget, a lot of those things you listed overlap, there are those enrolled in Religious Orders who are in the Priesthood, Married and Celibate, usually in the form of tertiates or seculars; such as the third order secular/regular of the OFM.

Not to mention the plethora of associations of various scapulars, positions of oblation, the prefecture - and the simple callings to fulfill the roles of what were once the minor orders, or indeed specific roles within our parishes; such as Lectors, Catechists and even Crucifers.

There are plenty of vocations, to specific roles within the Church, as well as to forms of life - and a vast number of people are not aware of all the details and opportunities there are.
What do you guys think of Evangelisation as a Catholic person's duty?
Original post by Jhyzone

I'll quote Archbishop Fulton Sheen, or at least paraphrase him, "the surest way to get to Heaven is to take someone's hand and lead them there".
Original post by Jhyzone

The Canticle of Zechariah probably sums it up best;

".... And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways:
To give knowledge of salvation to his people, unto the remission of their sins
Through the bowels of the mercy of our God, in which the Orient from on high hath visited us:
To enlighten them that sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death: to direct our feet into the way of peace....."
Original post by obstupefacere
Don't forget, a lot of those things you listed overlap, there are those enrolled in Religious Orders who are in the Priesthood, Married and Celibate, usually in the form of tertiates or seculars; such as the third order secular/regular of the OFM.

Not to mention the plethora of associations of various scapulars, positions of oblation, the prefecture - and the simple callings to fulfill the roles of what were once the minor orders, or indeed specific roles within our parishes; such as Lectors, Catechists and even Crucifers.

There are plenty of vocations, to specific roles within the Church, as well as to forms of life - and a vast number of people are not aware of all the details and opportunities there are.

I should have said secular priesthood, sorry. And I'm just repeating what the Church teaches on this matter.
:hi:

Have you seen RK's post in the Christian thread about needing a new mod? I think you should go for it :biggrin:
Have you seen RK's post in the Christian thread about needing a new mod? I think you should go for it :biggrin:

I did just see it yes. And was about to post in here and quote you suggesting you should go for it! You're way better qualified. Plus I've gotta be at Mass in two hours, hoping to speak to some of the priests there and build on last night :ninja:
I did just see it yes. And was about to post in here and quote you suggesting you should go for it! You're way better qualified. Plus I've gotta be at Mass in two hours, hoping to speak to some of the priests there and build on last night :ninja:

Oh Lord no, not me. Being a mod would be too much effort. I have enough trouble being a forum assistant!

Oooh, good luck with the priests :biggrin:
Oh Lord no, not me. Being a mod would be too much effort. I have enough trouble being a forum assistant!

Oooh, good luck with the priests :biggrin:

Haha, I don't know. I think you'd be a great mod.

Thanks, I'm going to wear my stripy shirt and large overcoat so I attract their attention :ninja:
Reply 3137
oh hai, haven't posted here for a while/ever, i haven't gone deserted. But seriously i just barely go on here :3
Original post by Slosh
oh hai, haven't posted here for a while/ever, i haven't gone deserted. But seriously i just barely go on here :3

Hang around! We're a nice bunch! :hi:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hang around! We're a nice bunch! :hi:

Hey,

I'm sorry I'm not joining in with the apologetics in all these anti-Catholic threads. Being a cradle Catholic, I don't really have the knowledge or reading to jump in. I'm not too sure where we get our ideas about Mary either, though I believe them to be true :smile:

You're doing a great job though :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending