The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by T-o dore
Classics is statistically the easiest to gain entrance for. However, the entrance statistics mask the fact that different levels of student apply for different subjects - if you look at average UCAS points of admitted students and applicants gained by subject, then you get a better picture (applicants for education have a much lower average UCAS entry tariff at Cambridge than, say, arch and anth/theology/classics - according to the Times its at 442 compared to 500+ for the others).

Thanks for the information, but I was talking about oversubscription...and the subjects I mentioned, in addition to Classics have the least applicants per place, as I'm sure you will agree. Obviously one has to fulfill the admission criteria in addition. :smile:
:itsme: I want to join plz :smile:
Reply 1182
Original post by JupiterSunshine
:itsme: I want to join plz :smile:

You can contribute to the society without joining...and you are most welcome to. :smile:

I'm not at all sure how one can officially join as I find the whole procedure very confusing, particulary since this subforum was moved from the Societies forum.

Maybe someone else can help our new friend out?
Reply 1183
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I've often struggled with the Adoration of the Eucharist but found it a very moving experience when I did it in Lourdes last July :smile: Not attempted it since (largely due to not being able to deal with religious buildings) but hopefully it'll be as peaceful next time I do it :o:

Your mention of Lourdes prompted me to link this story, especially for you! :smile:

ANGERS, France (CNS) The cure of a French TV repairman who completed a 1,000-mile hike after his paralyzed leg was inexplicably healed has become the 68th miracle to be officially recognized by the Catholic Church at the French Marian sanctuary of Lourdes.

“After profound expert examinations, the International Medical Committee of Lourdes has concluded this was a remarkable occurrence, an unexplained cure according to the current state of science,” said Bishop Emmanuel Delmas of Angers.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/68th-lourdes-miracle-approved/

See link for full story.
Original post by yawn
Your mention of Lourdes prompted me to link this story, especially for you! :smile:

See link for full story.

That's really lovely of you: thank you so much :smile: I didn't have any miraculous cure or anything like that but I did gain a lot of peace, answers and clarity whilst at Lourdes and to me, that was healing and a miracle of sorts :smile:

I was so moved I thought I should stay there forever, for I only heard good voices and it was such a peaceful experience. That would probably require me to become a nun though and I'd be a terrible nun :biggrin:
Reply 1185
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's really lovely of you: thank you so much :smile: I didn't have any miraculous cure or anything like that but I did gain a lot of peace, answers and clarity whilst at Lourdes and to me, that was healing and a miracle of sorts :smile:

I was so moved I thought I should stay there forever, for I only heard good voices and it was such a peaceful experience. That would probably require me to become a nun though and I'd be a terrible nun :biggrin:

At least you know that there is somewhere...or something that affords you peace, serenity and solace. That's a very positive start on the road to healing.

adamrules247
Oh Scott Hahn is wonderful, he really helped me understand the Eucharist better.I'm planning on buying his book at some point.

His eloquence and knowledge of scripture is enlightening. He's published quite a few books seemingly, and my PP recommended his ones about the Eucharist (isn't it called something like the 'Lamb of God' and the one on the Virgin Mary?

Edit:Oh, I've just found this on the internet that is taken from one of his talks on the Eucharist. http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/euchc3.htm

Some might want to read through it; I know I do, and I will, when I have more time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yawn
At least you know that there is somewhere...or something that affords you peace, serenity and solace. That's a very positive start on the road to healing.

Very true. I feel very blessed :smile:
Reply 1187
When did this thread turn into ask a Catholic? :erm:
I dunno, but it's ****ing me off.
yes indeed, this thread is not for debate, yawn you should know better with respect to the appropriate places for these discussions; I've moved the debate concerned.
Reply 1190
Original post by Magnum Opus

yes indeed, this thread is not for debate, yawn you should know better with respect to the appropriate places for these discussions; I've moved the debate concerned.

Thankee Kieren :girl:
Reply 1191
Original post by Aula
When did this thread turn into ask a Catholic? :erm:

It didn't.

When this society was first moved to the Religion D&D forum, I voiced my fears to the moderation team that it could develop into something it wasn't, ie a place where other non-Catholic posters would ask questions of Catholicism rather than being a place where Catholics could chat together about things that concerned them and a place of 'sanctuary' away from anti-catholic sentiments.

I was assured that the society thread would be monitored by the mods to ensure that my fears weren't being founded. Now you see that what I anticipated has actually come about...and worst still, that the mod has pointed the finger of blame at an instigator...me! It doesn't surprise me that it would be this particular person and he knows why.

If you look back at the first contact from someone asking questions about Catholicism since the society was moved here, you will see that I told them that this was not the place for questioning but rather a society where members had a common bond...ie their Catholic faith. See this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29115745&postcount=1022

When I asked the worst offender who kept accusing the Catholic Church of the most outrageous crimes (on a thread that was about the chance of salvation for non-Christians)to raise a thread if he wanted to ask questions particularly relevant to Catholicism, he decided to move here to ask them rather than in a dedicated thread. This is the post that refers: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30757323&postcount=245
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yawn

His eloquence and knowledge of scripture is enlightening. He's published quite a few books seemingly, and my PP recommended his ones about the Eucharist (isn't it called something like the 'Lamb of God' and the one on the Virgin Mary?

Edit:Oh, I've just found this on the internet that is taken from one of his talks on the Eucharist. http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/euchc3.htm

Some might want to read through it; I know I do, and I will, when I have more time.

Ooh, I've listened to a couple of lectures by him, the best one was called the Lamb's Supper.

I'll certainly have a read. Just annoyed this Alex fellow didn't reply to my post on the Eucharist. But perhaps he's only here to chat you up, Yawn :wink:
He ignored my post pointing out that the CofE is an apolistic church as well!
Reply 1194

Why have you notated the TSR Catholic Society with an emboldened preface 'Discussion'?

This is a society for people sharing a common bond, not a forum for discussion with all and sundry. You haven't notated the TSR Christian Society in the same manner. :confused:
Reply 1195
Original post by adamrules247
Ooh, I've listened to a couple of lectures by him, the best one was called the Lamb's Supper.

I'll certainly have a read. Just annoyed this Alex fellow didn't reply to my post on the Eucharist. But perhaps he's only here to chat you up, Yawn :wink:

Lol...I did wonder about that, particularly since he wanted to know my real name! :colondollar:

Ethereal
Originally Posted by Ethereal
He ignored my post pointing out that the CofE is an apolistic church as well!

If you check out some of his other posts on that link I've given above, you'll see that he posts some very anti-Catholic tripe. He doesn't want to defend, he wants to attack.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yawn
Lol...I did wonder about that, particularly since he wanted to know my real name! :colondollar:

If you check out some of his other posts on that link I've given above, you'll see that he posts some very anti-Catholic tripe. He doesn't want to defend, he wants to attack.

Yep, I noticed. No really debate when you pointed out why transubstaniation is the truth. Just this idea of "I don't think it's true".

Sad really. But, maybe we've given him some thoughts and he can go away and come back he in a year as a convert :awesome:
Original post by yawn
Why have you notated the TSR Catholic Society with an emboldened preface 'Discussion'?

This is a society for people sharing a common bond, not a forum for discussion with all and sundry. You haven't notated the TSR Christian Society in the same manner. :confused:

To try and make it a Society thread rather than a Debate thread, or are announcements too good for you these days? :tongue: There's an announcement across the D&CA forums which details the purpose of the tags :smile:
Reply 1198
To try and make it a Society thread rather than a Debate thread, or are announcements too good for you these days? :tongue: There's an announcement across the D&CA forums which details the purpose of the tags :smile:

Discussion implies debate. And you've already agreed that Society threads are not in the same arena as non-Society threads in D&D. And sarcasm ill-becomes a person who purports to be a follower of Christ, even if the poster attempts to minimise it by the use of an 'emocion.'

I'm wise to you, Magnum...I've known you too long...and that you exploit every opportunity to undermine me. :wink: And that emocion is a sign to you that you know exactly what I'm talking about. Anyway, this thread is for those who share the common bond of membership of the Catholic Church, so off you pop, my sweet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1199
Original post by adamrules247
Yep, I noticed. No really debate when you pointed out why transubstaniation is the truth. Just this idea of "I don't think it's true".

Sad really. But, maybe we've given him some thoughts and he can go away and come back he in a year as a convert :awesome:

Wouldn't that be ironic? Although the call to defend Catholic practices and doctrines was not a plot on my part to convert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending