The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Happy Easter everyone. Off to the 6AM Easter service at the local village church :smile:
Im miles away from the nearest chapel on easter...
Off to mass in half an hour! I've been everyday since Wednesday.
Reply 1383
I went to the Easter Vigil last night, starting at 8.30pm and got home at 11.40pm!

We had three people received into the Church, one of whom was baptised and made his First Holy Communion (he's about 11 years old and made the decision himself...his parents are atheists, but fair play to them, they were there to support him!) Two adults received their First Holy Communion and were Confirmed as well. Apparently, our Diocese had in excess of 500 people at the Cathedral for the Rite of Election, and every one of them was being received into the Church in their various Parishes around the Diocese last night. Imagine how many altogether would have joined the Catholic family from around the UK this Easter.

It was such a lovely Mass, and the singing would have done Aula proud, although I bet it wasn't nearly as good as her choir would have performed. :wink:

After Mass, our PP had provided chocolates, cake and crisps and wine for those who had denied themselves such things during Lent.

What a glorious time in the Church Year - Our Saviour's resurrection. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1384
Happy Easter.

Oh the singing was probably better yawn, my choir doesn't have many people in it. And it's not my choir anymore :no:

I'm off to a BBQ with cathsoc friends later. The priest said he'd thought about organising something himself, but then he got invited to his sister's for lunch. So he's trusting us by ourselves instead :colone:
Happy Easter everyone :smile:

I spent the day at the Aylesford Friary with my parents and younger sister. A rare occasion where my soul and brain were both still at the same time. It was lovely :smile:

It's amazing how knowing Jesus has risen has impacted upon my mood. I hope it lasts :smile:
Happy Easter to all!

Have had a lovely day in a packed out church, followed by gorging on Easter eggs and opening sister's 18th birthday presents. She's severely autistic so has the mind-age of a nine/ten year old so got lots of lego, keeps her occupied! Have had her running around singing "Alleluia, alleluia, give thanks to the risen Lord..." all day! Is nice :biggrin:

Also went to my 2nd ever confession last Friday - scary, and I don't know if I did right (and am anxious that I have sinned again since going) but I did it at least. I wish I could become more comfortable with my faith and not get so anxious over it.
Original post by daisydaffodil
Happy Easter to all!

Have had a lovely day in a packed out church, followed by gorging on Easter eggs and opening sister's 18th birthday presents. She's severely autistic so has the mind-age of a nine/ten year old so got lots of lego, keeps her occupied! Have had her running around singing "Alleluia, alleluia, give thanks to the risen Lord..." all day! Is nice :biggrin:

Also went to my 2nd ever confession last Friday - scary, and I don't know if I did right (and am anxious that I have sinned again since going) but I did it at least. I wish I could become more comfortable with my faith and not get so anxious over it.

Glad you had a lovely day :smile:

You are always welcome to PM me for a chat, if that would help at all :smile:

I've never been back to confession after my first confession :getmecoat:
Happy Easter to all!

Glad you had a good day and welcome to the soc :biggrin:

Just curious about something. Some time ago I sent you a PM, did you ever get it?

I can't wait until I can go to confession. I'll be going every month.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad you had a lovely day :smile:

You are always welcome to PM me for a chat, if that would help at all :smile:

Thank you, I will probably take you up on the offer :wink:

Neither had I until Friday, but I ran into the priest at uni and asked if he heard confessions - he then offered to go for a walk and do it there and then :smile: has broken the ice in a way, as I've always been scared to contact the catholic society at Uni and I might just go for it now.
Original post by adamrules247
Glad you had a good day and welcome to the soc :biggrin:

Just curious about something. Some time ago I sent you a PM, did you ever get it?

I can't wait until I can go to confession. I'll be going every month.

I did get it but I've had a funny week, my mum and sister are disabled and things haven't been brilliant with my mum this last week or so, then I had a hospital appt myself which didn't go very well either. Just a funny few days. I will reply to you though, I promise - there's a couple of you who PM'd me and I never got back to you, I do apologise.
Thank you, I will probably take you up on the offer :wink:

Neither had I until Friday, but I ran into the priest at uni and asked if he heard confessions - he then offered to go for a walk and do it there and then :smile: has broken the ice in a way, as I've always been scared to contact the catholic society at Uni and I might just go for it now.

Do feel free to. I can't tell you much Biblical teaching but otherwise don't mind Catholic banter :jebus:

That sounds like a really nice priest. I'm glad you've got one :smile:

Catholic Socs can be a bit scary. The Oxford one terrified me, so I ran away and worshipped in an Anglican chapel instead. I had a lovely Anglican priest and a Presbyterian looking after me during my third year. Absolutely amazing people who brought me far closer to God :smile: That said, not having anything to do with the Chaplaincy meant that I missed out on a lovely Catholic priest who could have saved me a lot of mental health nightmares :colondollar: I trust things worked out the way God wished them to though :smile:
I did get it but I've had a funny week, my mum and sister are disabled and things haven't been brilliant with my mum this last week or so, then I had a hospital appt myself which didn't go very well either. Just a funny few days. I will reply to you though, I promise - there's a couple of you who PM'd me and I never got back to you, I do apologise.

Oh you don't need to apolgise. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended you or anything :colondollar:

Ahh, I'll say a little prayer for you :smile:
Original post by adamrules247
Oh you don't need to apolgise. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended you or anything :colondollar:

Ahh, I'll say a little prayer for you :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKkWj2WpWM

Sorry, couldn't help it :biggrin:

:rofl:

You got me there :colondollar:
Hey everyone, Happy easter!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm 17, an agnostic who is in the process of devoting himself to his baptised faith (Church of England).

As CofE is actually Catholicism too, can someone tell me if I can have a private conformation? My parents are agnostics, and don't really see the point in it. They worry that if I go to church and follow the teachings of Christ, I will become all high and mighty. What they don't realise is that I will love them not matter what, and I'm not doing it to make myself better, I'm doing it to make myself pure?

I hope that made sense :/

Thanks anyway!
Original post by Thehornet
Hey everyone, Happy easter!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm 17, an agnostic who is in the process of devoting himself to his baptised faith (Church of England).

As CofE is actually Catholicism too, can someone tell me if I can have a private conformation? My parents are agnostics, and don't really see the point in it. They worry that if I go to church and follow the teachings of Christ, I will become all high and mighty. What they don't realise is that I will love them not matter what, and I'm not doing it to make myself better, I'm doing it to make myself pure?

I hope that made sense :/

Thanks anyway!

I has a similar problem. I'm 18 and becoming a Catholic and my mother hates it. The reason why most people of our parents generation hate religion is because they grew up in the 1960s - 1970s anti religious era. So it's totally natural.

In the CofE you can't have a private confirmation per se as it needs to be done by a bishop (and they only do private confirmation for the rich and famous). My advice is to have someone lead you into the faith. And my best advice there is to get down on your knees and pray for it (God will answer, he certainly answered me. It certainly won't be in a way you expect though!). Also, the more you pray the more that you will feel closer to God. It sometimes difficult to do but the more you do it the more you'll get back. My advice is to attend weekly church as well (Anglican or Catholic). Read the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles and Genesis and Exodus for a good grounding in the faith.

Oh and some CofE priests like to think of themselves as Catholic and subscribe to the Catholic teachings on the Eucharist, etc. But others are more of the protestant tradition.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1397

Glad I'm not the only one :colondollar:
Also, I am massively glad that you've had a good day.

Out of interest, which uni are you at? (feel free not to tell me, or to PM me if you don't want it as general knowledge)
and my PM box is also open.

Catholic Socs can be a bit scary. The Oxford one terrified me, so I ran away and worshipped in an Anglican chapel instead. I had a lovely Anglican priest and a Presbyterian looking after me during my third year. Absolutely amazing people who brought me far closer to God :smile: That said, not having anything to do with the Chaplaincy meant that I missed out on a lovely Catholic priest who could have saved me a lot of mental health nightmares :colondollar: I trust things worked out the way God wished them to though :smile:

Was there a reason for this? Was there anything they could have done to help be less scary?

I only ask because we seem to have fewer freshers joining cathsoc here this year, and any ideas to help us be more open would be very welcome. Actually that applies to everyone here. Anyone who has ideas is welcome to share them and if I think they're good (:wink:) I'll pass them on.

But Cathsocs are generally amazing and anyone who can should join them.
And I'm definitely not just typing this because I've just got back from finishing drinks from our Cathsoc Easter BBQ at the chaplaincy and then two pubs with our priest...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aula
Glad I'm not the only one :colondollar:
Also, I am massively glad that you've had a good day.

Was there a reason for this? Was there anything they could have done to help be less scary?

I only ask because we seem to have fewer freshers joining cathsoc here this year, and any ideas to help us be more open would be very welcome. Actually that applies to everyone here. Anyone who has ideas is welcome to share them and if I think they're good (:wink:) I'll pass them on.

But Cathsocs are generally amazing and anyone who can should join them.
And I'm definitely not just typing this because I've just got back from finishing drinks from our Cathsoc Easter BBQ at the chaplaincy and then two pubs with our priest...

Thank you. Had a bit of a wobble earlier but reminding myself that Jesus has risen restored peace and happiness :smile: I've been having lots of fun using Thérèse of Lisieux for my scrapbook. Her popularity and uber-happiness used to annoy me when I was younger but now I realise that she's just really quite incredible :smile:

I don't think my experiences would necessarily help you there. It was the realisation that these people were far more Catholic than I could ever aspire to be and were a really close-knit community. I like to shuffle in and shuffle out as I please without having to commit or communicate much, coz my faith is personal and private to me usually :colondollar:
Yo! St John the Baptist as my confirmation name. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending