The Student Room Group

Have you ever been Mugged/ Attacked in the street?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Only mildly attacked.

I was once walking past this nightclub with a friend and this weird angry drunk female threw a beer can at me and it hit me on the right shoulder. I picked it up and decided to throw it back, except that my aim was a bit better and got her right in the kisser :smile:
Original post by Zuki
Lol what? So he took your earphones but not your phone/ iPod? :/

Generous Mugger? o.o

He tugged them that hard that they just disconnected from my iPod, mind you it was in daylight and the iPod was in my pocket.
Original post by eagleowl
I stepped in to defend a male friend from 9 or 10 guys who decided to beat the sh*t out of him. He was fine.
I had to have 12 stitches in my face.
Turns out guys do hit girls.

:-o
Do you have scars?
Reply 23
Original post by Abir Ishtiaq
I was 12 and I was two of my other friends, and we were walking down some road, and a gang of Arican-Carribean people came up to us, and stole the phone off of one my friends, stole his school tie, punched him and flicked ciggarette ashes in his eyes.

Woa is his eyesight okay?
Reply 24
Original post by chocoholic.
:-o
Do you have scars?

One's bigger than the other. I was really lucky actually, they didn't knock out any of my teeth, break my nose or fracture my jaw =]
Yeah I have, I was about 14 I think and a group of about 8 people (all 18+) and robbed me and my mates phones, money, etc.
Thankfully no :smile:.
One's bigger than the other. I was really lucky actually, they didn't knock out any of my teeth, break my nose or fracture my jaw =]

That must've been a horrible experience!
Reply 28
I've had people start fights with me in the street before, but I wouldn't say I was mugged or attacked (especially as I was able to defend myself). My sister was attacked recently; I heard it was 3 on 1. She's okay though.
Reply 29
I don't understand people who go round mugging in groups of 8, surely ince the stuff they nicked has been split up its only a tenner each. There are far easier, legal ways to make that sort of money.
Reply 30
Original post by chocoholic.
That must've been a horrible experience!

At the time I just got really REALLY angry and started fighting back until more people turned up and then they ran away. When they were gone my friend was looking at me like :eek:
I didn't cry until my mum saw me and started crying.. :frown:
I thought I was going to get some hassle when I was walking home once as a gang of 6-7 lads were walking down the street towards me, could tell they were trouble. Some were on bikes and one did that thing where they speed towards you and turn right at the last second, playing chicken basically. I thought there was no point crossing the road so I'd just walk through them and see what happened. Luckily as I got up to them one shouts "oi Joe! Nar mate it's Adam! I ain't seen you for AGES! ****in ell mate what you been up to? Nah guys leave him init he's alright." I was a bit stunned so didn't hang around to talk much but yes...thank god a very nice boy a knew in primary school and used to see occasionally after that was there...shame he seemed to have turned out like that.:s-smilie:

So for now no, however I'm going to London with my girlfriend for a week at Christmas, it gets dark early and we'll probably look like obvious tourists, so we'll see what happens.
People have attempted to
1) two guys followed me and 2 of my friends out of the phone repair shop. 1 mate went home and then a few minutes later i realised these guys were following us, they mainly talked to my friend and were asking him for his phone. I recognised one guys as a kid who got kicked out of school and i knew his sister so i told him and he and his mate said 's**t they know my sister' and they left.

2) i was walking to school and two guys called me from behind they caught up, they were pretty big and they asked me what i had on me, i showed them my crappy old 2nd phone which i have and they were left me. I even asked one of them their name and laughed as they said 'i'm not telling you' lol, because they asked me my name and where i came from.
I've gotten in unprovoked brawls, yeah. I've been considerably drunk every time, but I've never had worse than the odd black eye or bloody nose, so all in all pretty lucky really considering what happens to some unfortunate people.
Reply 34
Original post by 2ndClass
If only it was socially acceptable for guys to do this :lol:

OP: no never thankfully

I know.... what was even more annoying was that I had done self-defence classes and the minute I was actually (nearly) mugged I forgot everything and screamed like a child.
in such cases it is best, to leave. once you change your direction away from evil, then you won't get harmed and is such a blessing. :smile: never sit there, and act like the hero , especially against multiple opponents that might carry weapons. In cases you have no other choice psychological factors may have a key role. When you put yourself in that situation where you look like the 'victim' then you will get into troubles sooner or later. The best thing, is to go unnoticed, and if necessary to survive, to run away, simply because there is nothing to be gained.. don't let them get close to you, that's how people get stabbed, within distance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zuki
Lol what? So he took your earphones but not your phone/ iPod? :/

Generous Mugger? o.o

Haha, someone once mugged me for my headphones - I sneakily unplugged them from my ipod. He told me to give him my ipod, so i was like "Nah mate, I only got the headphones to look cool", and carried on walking. He took the phones and ran.
I don't think he was a very experienced mugger. :smile:
Also, the headphones cost me £1.60 off ebay.
Original post by High VOLTAGE

2) i was walking to school and two guys called me from behind they caught up, they were pretty big and they asked me what i had on me, i showed them my crappy old 2nd phone which i have and they were left me. I even asked one of them their name and laughed as they said 'i'm not telling you' lol, because they asked me my name and where i came from.

Oh god that reminds me of a really amusing "mugging" which happened to my friend in town. It was getting dark and these two lads approached him, same situation as you they asked what he had, obviously he knew he was going to get mugged. He had this crap old Nokia, because we always used to say how ancient it was. So he shows it them and one goes "nah man that's a **** phone, that's sad man. You want one to buy one of these?" and shows him about five phones he's obviously mugged from other people! :eek:
Reply 38
Original post by joey11223

So for now no, however I'm going to London with my girlfriend for a week at Christmas, it gets dark early and we'll probably look like obvious tourists, so we'll see what happens.

London isn't that bad - just don't look groups of loitering youths in the eye or speed up as you walk past them. Also, if it is safe to step off the pavement to get around them, do so. It will avoid unnecessary agro.
London isn't that bad - just don't look groups of loitering youths in the eye or speed up as you walk past them. Also, if it is safe to step off the pavement to get around them, do so. It will avoid unnecessary agro.

won't they sort of go for you because you got out of their way though? Like it shows your scared, damned if you do damned if you don't sort of thing. I'll admit I'm pretty weak so I usually try and smooth talk my way out of rough spots, it has worked before, but it won't always obviously.

I don't think the areas we're going are too rough and we're trying to catch buses and stuff so we're not walking down streets for ages that we don't know.

We're staying in a flat in West Kensington, will probably go to the Westfields shopping centre in Shepherds bush. Possibly go to Hammersmith, but we might not. Then maybe Camden market. Otherwise it'll be more in the centre, Natural History Museum, London Aquarium, maybe London zoo etc.

I suppose Nottingham isn't exactly safe and I've never been mugged/attacked in the centre city. Just keep clear of those who are standing around yelling and obviously drunk. I've only had hassle in Beeston and that's meant to be more student area. Though so many pubs in such a small proximity leads to brawls outside, used to have an ambulance parked up every evening just in case, not so much any more, it's getting too expensive to drink out every night I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending