The Student Room Group

Housemates refuse to turn heating on!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I remember last year, when it got towards the end of winter, through Jan/Feb time, one of my housemates declared that he'd be turning the heating off and that anyone who put it back one would lose man points.

He did it later that day. Many a laugh was had.

It was pretty crappy for me since I'd get up at 5-6am for rowing training, 2-3 hours before the heating kicked in. I missed the warm mornings for torture. Bad times were had this time last year.
Reply 41
Original post by TheSownRose

Original post by TheSownRose
Yes, but no one's said that in think thread AFAIK.

huh?

Anyway - i already do layers, water bottles etc. - Think im gonna sneak an electric heating in.
Reply 42
Unless you're allowed to fork out to cover the extra costs, get a jumper. Why should your housemates have to pay extra when they're quite happy to wrap up and get cocooned in their duvet? a cold house seems like the best excuse to bring your duvet into the living room if you ask me!
Reply 43
Don't sneak an electric heater in, how is fair that everyone has to pay for you to be warm?

Arrange a house meeting or something and discuss the heating issue like adults (hopefully your housemates can do this), if you mention casually getting a heater I'm sure people will be willing to turn the heating on more.

Get stuff like draught excluders because chances are heating in wasted due to student houses having gaps everywhere. A breeze came through my wardrobe at uni so check there isn't a passage to Narnia anywhere.

As you said you already wear layers and I assume your housemates would notice this so can't use that against the heating not being on (my housemate used to sit around in shorts and a t-shirt with his window open and complain about being cold).
Reply 44
Tbh - everyone else has more then one plug point in their room and probably use much more electricity then me, just because they have bedroom TV's etc, so i wouldnt feel too bad about it.
Original post by student369
Tbh - everyone else has more then one plug point in their room and probably use much more electricity then me, just because they have bedroom TV's etc, so i wouldnt feel too bad about it.

Electric heater consumes a lot of energy! It's nothing like telly. I guess you could threaten them saying you will get one if they don't agree to better heating arrangements. An electric heater will be more expensive or same price as using gas to heat the entire house
When I went to an open day at Nottingham Trent, the guy was telling me how he used to turn the oven on and open the door of the oven (since you don't pay for this). He also said that he put his wet clothes next to it to dry them off.
Reply 47
I should add that electric heaters play havoc with your electricity bill. They are very energy inefficient and don't put out anything like enough heat or cover a big enough area to make it worthwhile, and they are also a fire risk. I have heard of landlords that forbid their use in rented properties.

Central heating when done properly will work out cheaper, more efficient and actually do half a decent job of heating your place up.
Original post by clo-clo1
Don't sneak an electric heater in, how is fair that everyone has to pay for you to be warm?

Arrange a house meeting or something and discuss the heating issue like adults (hopefully your housemates can do this), if you mention casually getting a heater I'm sure people will be willing to turn the heating on more.

Get stuff like draught excluders because chances are heating in wasted due to student houses having gaps everywhere. A breeze came through my wardrobe at uni so check there isn't a passage to Narnia anywhere.

As you said you already wear layers and I assume your housemates would notice this so can't use that against the heating not being on (my housemate used to sit around in shorts and a t-shirt with his window open and complain about being cold).

If her housemates are refusing to pay for everyone to be warm then what else is she supposed to do??
Original post by Hopsin rapper
When I went to an open day at Nottingham Trent, the guy was telling me how he used to turn the oven on and open the door of the oven (since you don't pay for this). He also said that he put his wet clothes next to it to dry them off.

Er... why wouldn't you pay for the oven?
Reply 50

The problem with electric heaters besides the fact they usually cost more than gas to run is its too easy to leave them on all the time.

Why not at least try draught excluders first?
Reply 51
Electric heater will cost more than turning the heating on.
Original post by elainebenes
Er... why wouldn't you pay for the oven?

I didn't explain it very well.... HE does not have to pay for it by himself (everyone he is sharing the kitchen with would have to pay a bit for the electricity)
Reply 53
Original post by sophisticated
If her housemates are refusing to pay for everyone to be warm then what else is she supposed to do??

Talk to her housemates, tell them about getting a heater and how it'd be cheaper to just turn the heating on more. Get draught excluders.
Original post by clo-clo1
The problem with electric heaters besides the fact they usually cost more than gas to run is its too easy to leave them on all the time.

Why not at least try draught excluders first?

Draught excluders don't heat a room you know. They just help to keep an already-heated room warm for longer. Besides, a lot of heat will leave a house through the roof. No draught excluder is going to solve that.
It's not cold at the moment...how can you be shivering in a blanket?

I think you should hold off on heating as soon as possible, it's expensive. Just put on more jumpers.
Original post by chinaberry
It's not cold at the moment...how can you be shivering in a blanket?

I think you should hold off on heating as soon as possible, it's expensive. Just put on more jumpers.

it was 0 degrees here last week. Is that not cold? I personally am dying of cold, but I can't afford heating at the moment so just rely on the heat that comes from neighbours houses :biggrin:
Reply 57
Set fire to all your ****. That's the student way :wink:

At the end of the day, you're paying to live in a house, and heating is part of the bills that come with that. Obviously heating on max and windows wide open is a no no, but no point in paying out for a freezing house!
Reply 58
Original post by sophisticated
Draught excluders don't heat a room you know. They just help to keep an already-heated room warm for longer. Besides, a lot of heat will leave a house through the roof. No draught excluder is going to solve that.

I know they don't heat a room, I may have gone to Solent but I'm not that thick.

Draught excluders massively helped my house stay warm, cold came in from under the backdoor, through windows and the back of my wardrobe. Putting them by doors and hanging blankets/getting better curtains made all the difference.

Every little helps when it comes to heating a student house, sure heat is still gonna be lost through the roof and I'm not suggesting no heating or even keeping it how it is, even I think she needs the heating on more and I'm like eco warrior number one.
Hmm, might look into the electric heating then... - But still think I should have the right to have the central heating on a little more and not have to live in arctic conditions!!:mad:

i dealt with near 18 years of living "in artic conditions" as my house i was brought up in didnt own central heating, and if we wanted hot water we have to light the fire...

just put an extra jumper on as my mum would say :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending