The Student Room Group

18 - where to retake A-levels (London)?

I'm 18 and at university but I want to reapply next year and from January - June retake my A-levels to get into a better university?

I can't afford an independent college and don't want to do a home course can you retake at free colleges if so where?
Reply 1
Don't think so - I tried this during my gap year.

Basically, the government gives colleges money to educate students/pay exam fees etc, something like £1000 per student or something - but they'll only do it once, so if you've already had A-levels, you can't have them again.

You can, however, ring up almost any school and ask them to enter you for exams - its about £20 a paper though (to the exam board) - but you need to know the stuff yourself.

If you feel like working through the work yourself and are motivated to (I was during college to get the grades - uni rejected me, but I wanted to "show them" - I did!! - but wasn't so much during the gap year and didn't get as much done) then you can do that and just enter yourself for the exams.

Otherwise, maybe get some textbooks and work through it yourself, then hire a private tutor for a couple of hours once a month or something to go through stuff with you. So still costs, but a lot cheaper than paying for full-time.

I considered the above for maths, but then found the Further Maths Support Programme (google it!) - they do distance learning courses - but its interactive online with a real person helping you and showing you stuff - either one-to-one or tiny groups of 5 or something. Really useful and (mostly) good tutors. PM me if you want names! It's about £200 for the year, which is good value compared to the cost of a private tutor!!

But for other subjects I don't think similar exists, so probably best to hire a private tutor. Maybe even try at your old school? Find a teacher who was good and you got along with who might give you a bit of time - you could even try and employ them?

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 2
There won't be anywhere free. You'll have to try phoning a few places and seeing if they will let you take the exams there, although this way will mean you're responsible for the learning yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by coldbeercoldheart
I'm 18 and at university but I want to reapply next year and from January - June retake my A-levels to get into a better university?

I can't afford an independent college and don't want to do a home course can you retake at free colleges if so where?

unfortunatley independant college or a home course is your only option as free colleges will be half way through teaching the course in january and so wont be able to let you in.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000

Original post by jelly1000
unfortunatley independant college or a home course is your only option as free colleges will be half way through teaching the course in january and so wont be able to let you in.

Free colleges are only free because they get funding, and someone already with A Levels and at university is not going to be eligible for that funding anyway
Reply 5
Hi there,

I noticed your post and I wondered if you would be interested in private tuition from a current University student.

Personally, I am a current Mathematics student too and I recently started my own business having taught for a few years with great success. We charge much lower rates as compared to other firms.

For more information, visit: www.brightsparktuition.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Connie
Reply 6
Original post by coldbeercoldheart

What course? and what do you want to reapply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending