The Student Room Group

Girls/women that don't like shopping

I can't possibly be alone in this...?

I just don't see what's fun about it. Crowds are abundant, the way shops are laid out makes my head hurt, carrying all the bags - don't understand it.

I appreciate that it sometimes has to be, eg, Christmas shopping. However, on these occasions, I go with a list and get through it as quickly as possible. I can't fathom how people can turn it into a social event and enjoy it.

Any other girls/women sympathise, or would anyone like to try and enlighten me? :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only shops I can stand to be in are HMV, GAME, Borders and Waterstones.

Clothes shopping destroys my soul. :colonhash: I order my clothes online.
I hate shopping. UNLESS I know exactly what I am looking for, and where to find it. Then I am indifferent to it.
Original post by IlexBlue

I'd like to be able to do that, but seeing as in tops I vary from anything between a 12 and 20 (:lolwut:), depending upon how generous they are with shoulder width, I have to try things on. :mad:
My sister hates shopping and doesn't see the point. I'm not a huge fan but am willing at least, and we're similar sizes so I buy most her clothes for her :tongue: so nope, you're not alone. She truly hates the prospect of having to buy her own clothes. Although she quite enjoys internet shopping! ASOS sales and all that. Ever tried that? So easy to spend money, but maybe you can get in the spirit a little :wink:
I can never be bothered with trying things on :frown: I don't like shopping with other people, because I generally have no idea what I want and tend to just wander aimlessly around a shop - with people following you, it gets a bit annoying..

Same. Except for me it's just HMV & Waterstone's.

I hate Primark & Topshop with a passion, and everytime I go grocery shopping with my mother, I die inside. I can't stand walking around for ages looking for something. I prefer knowing what I want so I can get in and get out quickly.
Reply 7

Even that winds me up - any shopping does. I do what I can online, but for certain items I need to go to an actual shop (or pay a lackey to do it for me. :colone:)
Reply 8
Original post by TheSownRose
I'd like to be able to do that, but seeing as in tops I vary from anything between a 12 and 20 (:lolwut:), depending upon how generous they are with shoulder width, I have to try things on. :mad:

Haha! It's so irritating when the sizes vary between makes... I have to do the same and make myself go to a shop when I want to buy trousers because the waist is never the same... sometimes it's a perfect fit in one size, and then in another pair it's too baggy and I have to go three sizes smaller. :s-smilie:
I hate clothes shopping because I'm such an awkward size and I feel like an elephant in the changing rooms :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by physicsfuntimes
My sister hates shopping and doesn't see the point. I'm not a huge fan but am willing at least, and we're similar sizes so I buy most her clothes for her :tongue: so nope, you're not alone. She truly hates the prospect of having to buy her own clothes. Although she quite enjoys internet shopping! ASOS sales and all that. Ever tried that? So easy to spend money, but maybe you can get in the spirit a little :wink:

I'm happy to do online shopping, but change sizes wildly depending upon the fit on the item so I unfortunately have to go to shops to try clothes on.

It's not just clothes shopping I don't like, I don't like any shopping.
I don't enjoy shopping mostly because I only shop if I have something to buy or if I have a specific style that I'm looking for. I don't browse, I generally do not impulse buy, and I never find what I want in the mall. It's just easier online.
Reply 12
I don't really like shopping either.

Although for some reason I do like stationary shops, such as staples :s-smilie:.
Reply 13
I quite enjoy shopping so long as its only for an hour or so and provided I have something specific that I am looking for. Just mindlessly browsing around shops is boring as hell.
Reply 14
Original post by motunrolarulz
Same. Except for me it's just HMV & Waterstone's.

I hate Primark & Topshop with a passion, and everytime I go grocery shopping with my mother, I die inside. I can't stand walking around for ages looking for something. I prefer knowing what I want so I can get in and get out quickly.

I usually last five minutes in Primark (we usually end up going on our trips into town, yay) before I give up and agree to meet her in the nearest book shop. :nothing: I completely agree, the amount of times I've begged her to write a list before food shopping...

Original post by Flotographer
Even that winds me up - any shopping does. I do what I can online, but for certain items I need to go to an actual shop (or pay a lackey to do it for me. :colone:)

But it's so fun when you're in a book or music shop and you can have a casual flick through, have a see if the next volume of a series has come out, or if there's an old CD by your favourite artist around. :redface:
Reply 15
But it's so fun when you're in a book or music shop and you can have a casual flick through, have a see if the next volume of a series has come out, or if there's an old CD by your favourite artist around. :redface:

But the whole experience hurts. Crowds make me feel uneasy and shop layouts give me headaches.
I love it...if i have money! And i can only shop with my sister because we have the same style. Can't shop with people with completely different taste or in big groups.
Ugh I hate it too, its boring as hell. It's mainly clothes that are torture to buy but places like HMV and Waterstones are fun cause I love buying books. I don't see the appeal of trailing round with other people either.
Reply 18
Shopping is usually a nightmare. Occassionally I will enjoy it if I shop well. However most of the time I cannot wait to get out of there. Often I do go from shop to shop and I cannot find anything that I could see myself wearing! My back begins to ache, I develop a headache and I have to stop myself from becoming irritable. I definitely prefer internet shopping for the following reasons -

1. Comfort from my own home
2. People annoy me
3. Nowadays clothes shops offer such garbage, with the internet you can find the less well-known stores more easily than a high street
4. With the internet, you will usually know what you want which lessens the need to impulse buy

I am pleased to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way about clothes shopping!
Reply 19
I find it so overwhelming to go shopping! I would love to go into the big shops i,e republic, new look, next and M&S (if I had the money too) but I can only go into Charity shops because they are never inside those great big shopping malls and I get so much stick for it too because all my clothes are 2nd hand. I don't know how a) people can afford clothes from New Look etc etc on Student Budget and b) how they don't die from being overwhelmed by the lights, musics and endless array of clothes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending