The Student Room Group

What are the worst areas in your town or city?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aston, Handsworth, Alum Rock, Newtown, Yardley, Ladywood (mate got jumped by about 20 people the other night here) and sadly my area and the place i am currently typing this post in, Small Heath.

Thinking about it, Birmingham has a lot of bad areas and i've mentioned the ones where it's quite prevalent, there's other areas like Quinton and Stechford where there's quite a few chavs who cause trouble.

Still, love my city.
Original post by 90pies an hour
Seacroft, Chapeltown, Halton Moor, Belle Isle, Miggy, Hawkie, Husnlet, Beeston Hill, Holbeck, Gipton, Harehills, Lincoln Green, Burmantofts, East End Park.

Depends on what you mean by worst. In my view the student areas in Leeds are notorious for burglaries, etc. Students must be easy meat.
Most places in the east end, which just happens to be where my flat is. :facepalm:

The ones I've heard mentioned are: Easterhouse, Springburn, the Gorbals and Shettleston.
Reply 23
Original post by Xanyi
Moss Side and Rusholme are clearly self-explanatory, but please explain what's so awful about Cheadle Hulme (which, by the way, is not hyphenated)? It's one of the wealthiest parts of South Manchester and is a pleasant suburbian village/town... hardly on the same level as Moss Side.

Well let's just say i've had a few trips down there, and didn't like what i saw. A load of stuck-up people with big noses, so in my eyes, it's a rubbish place.
Ofcourse, it's not worse than Moss side, but it is not far behind i'd say.
Oh didn't know it was hypenated, dont really care to be honest (:
Original post by House Dagoth
tottenham - woodgreen :smile:

Agreed.
(I live in WG lol).
Original post by peace12456
-__- Queens park? Really?

Queens park bedfordshire, this place is the worst area.

I'm not sure of where you think i was saying, but it is the worst part- Its not very safe from past experience.
Reply 26
Original post by kopite493
Im from Liverpool

at least you have nice areas

I'll pray for you
People would have you believe that if you set foot in Glasgow you are going to be stabbed. Not true.

Perhaps don't go wandering around Govan in a Celtic top though! Areas like Govan and Easterhouse have reputations for being bad.
Reply 28
tottenham - woodgreen :smile:

You from Haringey?
Original post by kopite493
Im from Liverpool

at least you have nice areas

Good point
Original post by Xanyi
That's true, Rusholme is all good fun with the Curry Mile! There's a few real treats to be found there.

Moss Side isn't that bad! I've walked through there many times. It really has calmed down these days.

Bad stuff happens round there, but really It's just a place with a bad reputation. Students scared to even set foot round the area like 'omg if i set foot in Moss Side i'm going to get shot' :rolleyes:
Original post by hamijack
You from Haringey?

unfortunately, yes. :sigh:
Reply 31
Original post by Ayah
Moss side, Rusholme, Cheetam Hill, Cheadle-Hulme

Cheadle Hulme? :lolwut:

It's full of private schools.
Reply 32
Catford is not that bad...
Original post by dreamyeyed
People would have you believe that if you set foot in Glasgow you are going to be stabbed. Not true.

Perhaps don't go wandering around Govan in a Celtic top though! Areas like Govan and Easterhouse have reputations for being bad.

It's the same with Nottingham. People are scared to set foot there sometimes because of the 'shottingham' myth.

Notts is the coolest place in the Midlands :smile:
Reply 34
All of Coventry. The whole area within a ten-mile radius of Coventry.

Nah, it's not all as bad as people make out.
Original post by damos92

Original post by damos92
Aston, Handsworth, Alum Rock, Newtown, Yardley, Ladywood (mate got jumped by about 20 people the other night here) and sadly my area and the place i am currently typing this post in, Small Heath.

Thinking about it, Birmingham has a lot of bad areas and i've mentioned the ones where it's quite prevalent, there's other areas like Quinton and Stechford where there's quite a few chavs who cause trouble.

Still, love my city.

haha, snap!
Reply 36
unfortunately, yes. :sigh:

Snap, but I'm from the nice bit :biggrin:
I'm from Doncaster

Places that have a reputation are Edlington (home to the infamous Edlington boys http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/22/edlington-brothers-jailed-torture-boys), Bentley, Stainforth, Hexthorpe, Wheatley at nightime (red light district), Doncaster North Bridge (been beaten up on here myself before) Balby Flats (huge council estate) and worst of all DONCASTER TOWN CENTRE ON A FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Birkenhead isn't the greatest town in the world at the best of times, but the worst bits are:

Woodchurch (formerly known as The Northend), Bidston, Beechwood (formerly known at The Ford) and Noctorum (Nocky estate). Strangely enough they're bound by the posher parts of Birkenhead

Liverpool's worst places are up in the north of the city (Norris Green, Croxteth, Stockbridge Village etc). Toxteth is alright when you drive through it (but it does seem to have a negative vibe to it). The rest of the city, while not going to win any beauty pagents, isn't actually that bad
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hamijack
Snap, but I'm from the nice bit :biggrin:

my house is a 4 minute walk from bruce castle park :h: it's not that bad of an area...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending