The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Accommodation help

Tallybont South, Tallybont court or Tallybont gate? Hi I’ve applied for Cardiff uni and am applying for accommodation- just wondering what advice anyone can give me based off the 3 different accoms? I am very social (guessing South is the best for this) but I also value my own space and nice facilities which the other 2 offer more. I would also be on the JOMEC campus which is in the town centre and would be going out at night in the town so for me being closer to the town is more important than being close to main campus. Any thoughts? Thanks
Hiya!

I'm Fatiha - a second year psychology student and a student rep. I lived in Talybont North in my first year, although I can give you some insights on the other locations as I had friends living there. I would say South was definitely the most sociable, I would recommend it if you don't mind loud sounds as students tend to hold parties there often. Taly Gate is nice, as it's the closest to shops such as Tesco or Aldi, though its the furthest from city center/campus. Talybont Court has the bigger kitchens/living space and is the closest to campus/city center/exiting the accommodation.

I would say if you want somewhere closer to the town center, Talybont wouldn't be the place to go, as its the one accommodation furthest from the city center. It's about a 45 minute walk (if you're around Taly Gate-ish, and 28 mins if you're closer to Taly Court), though its a 11 minute bus ride. I would actually say that other accommodations closer to campus are closer to the city center, since the center is right next to campus, though the facilities tend to be less nicer. But if you don't mind the journey, Talybont is absolutely fine as well. On the plus side, Taly is a really sociable area so you get a train of students walking to city center for night outs. Plus, there is a card you can get called "My Travel Pass" where you can get discounted bus tickets if you're 16-21yrs old.

There are also privately-owned student halls in city center, in case you didn't want to make the journey.

Hope that helps!

- Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hiya!

I'm Fatiha - a second year psychology student and a student rep. I lived in Talybont North in my first year, although I can give you some insights on the other locations as I had friends living there. I would say South was definitely the most sociable, I would recommend it if you don't mind loud sounds as students tend to hold parties there often. Taly Gate is nice, as it's the closest to shops such as Tesco or Aldi, though its the furthest from city center/campus. Talybont Court has the bigger kitchens/living space and is the closest to campus/city center/exiting the accommodation.

I would say if you want somewhere closer to the town center, Talybont wouldn't be the place to go, as its the one accommodation furthest from the city center. It's about a 45 minute walk (if you're around Taly Gate-ish, and 28 mins if you're closer to Taly Court), though its a 11 minute bus ride. I would actually say that other accommodations closer to campus are closer to the city center, since the center is right next to campus, though the facilities tend to be less nicer. But if you don't mind the journey, Talybont is absolutely fine as well. On the plus side, Taly is a really sociable area so you get a train of students walking to city center for night outs. Plus, there is a card you can get called "My Travel Pass" where you can get discounted bus tickets if you're 16-21yrs old.

There are also privately-owned student halls in city center, in case you didn't want to make the journey.

Hope that helps!

- Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep

Hi, Thankyou so much that was really helpful! Especially about the bus pass! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending