The Student Room Group

Allow 'Self-Pass' at Free-kicks

This is something that's already been implemented in field hockey to great success - whenever a free kick, goal kick, corner kick, centre-pass or throw-in is given, we should allow the person taking the kick to pass it to himself and keep on dribbling.

Any opposition within 10 yards of the ball when the kick is taken would not be allowed to interfere with play until they have retreated 10 yards of wherever the ball is, before they can tackle.

It would speed up the game, encourage players to get their yards for fear of getting booked for breaking down play, and lead to a faster pace of game play since there will now always be at least one unmarked player (the ball carrier).

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. What a load of *******s.
Reply 2
You American by any chance?
Reply 3
Original post by Kevmeister
No. What a load of *******s.

And why not? The second Blackburn goal today against Wigan was a great example of how it could improve the game, even though it was ridiculous for the referee not to spot it happening.

And no I'm not American. I'm a hockey player in England. The only reason I said field hockey was to distinguish it from ice hockey.
Reply 4
Don't see what possible benefit it would have over indirect freekicks.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Don't see what possible benefit it would have over indirect freekicks.

At the moment, defending a free kick in the middle of the park is simple - your midfield try to intercept the pass via zonal marking and your back line keep flat for an offside trap.

If the free kick is taken with a self pass, one of the opposition midfield players marking a player is immediately drawn to close down the ball, leaving the player he was previously marking completely free to do a one-two with.

Fewer stoppages, more action, more goals.
Brilliant idea. It will stop people live RVP and Messi taking direct freekicks and wasting them ffs
Reply 7
**** idea, current system is better.
Reply 8
I can actually see the benefits of this idea but it leaves too many loopholes.

Current systems works very well and better not to fix something that doesn't need fixing, i guess.
:lolwut: No.
I don't really see that it would make that much of a difference really.
If you wanted to "pass to yourself" from a free kick under the current rules, couldn't you just get your teammate to just tap the ball gently (and therefore officially take the free kick), and from then on you can do whatever you want with the ball?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ben77mc
No - we're talking about football and not some gay little sport like hockey, bye bye

Try getting hit in the head by a hard plastic ball travelling at 90 miles an hour and then tell me it's a gay little sport.

Footballers act like ****ing pansies, rolling around like they've been shot after someone toe-pokes them in the shin pad.

Don't try and criticise something you know nothing about.

I am merely offering a suggestion - at the very least come up with reasons against it and have a meaningful discussion, not disregard it because of your own inability to grasp concepts more complicated than boshing a ball out of an eighteen yard box, and ignorance of any sports other than football.
Reply 12
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't really see that it would make that much of a difference really.
If you wanted to "pass to yourself" from a free kick under the current rules, couldn't you just get your teammate to just the ball gently (and therefore officially take the free kick), and from then on you can do whatever you want with the ball?

Yes, true, you could just get your teammate to come next to you. The only thing there is that it takes time for them to come to you - in a fast paced game like football where you can score a goal in a matter of seconds, it's much easier to take the ball and keep going.

Another example - if you commit a foul viewed by the referee as breaking down play, referees are coached to stop play and yellow card the defender. Advantages really aren't considered.

In this situation with the self pass, if a foul is committed, the referee can quickly blow the whistle for a foul, and the attacker can self pass and be in on goal, one-on-one with the keeper, because it takes out of action every opposition player within ten yards. Then deal with the personal penalty for the defender after the ball is dead.
Oh, I wondered why they were doing that in the hockey match I was watching on TV. Must have come in the few years since I've stopped playing...

I think it's an odd rule to be honest and I don't think I like it.
Reply 14
I would actually love to see this trialled, although perhaps with a 5 yard zone instead of 10. A lot of fouls result in the ball running away so it wouldn't even be a drastic change that completely changes the sport. Would be very interesting to see it in a friendly or two.
Reply 15
Stupid idea. What a load of crap.
Reply 16
No - Ronaldo would pass to himself and only himself!
Original post by Louis.
I would actually love to see this trialled, although perhaps with a 5 yard zone instead of 10. A lot of fouls result in the ball running away so it wouldn't even be a drastic change that completely changes the sport. Would be very interesting to see it in a friendly or two.

But changing it to 5 yards would completely stop any direct free kicks being scored.
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime
What is the logic behind not allowing it?

EDIT: like Martinez complaining about the goal today. Why is he angry? What advantage did Yakubu gain?

He was angry because a basic rule of the game was broken, resulting in a goal. And the referee did nothing. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by little_wizard123
But changing it to 5 yards would completely stop any direct free kicks being scored.

Maybe after a certain time it reverts to being a normal free kick, with 10 yards :dontknow:

The purpose would be to speed the game up after all, if it's not being taken quickly then nothing is speeding up. I just think getting 10 yards away is really difficult for a defender, would lead to a huge increase in goals from free kicks just outside the box.

Probably too difficult to implement effectively, nice thought though.

Quick Reply

Latest