The Student Room Group

Student Finance 2012 question?

Hi

I've read somewhere recently that the amount of maintenance loan you receive will be determined by how much your parents earn.. I always thought that if you aren't entitled to any grants then you get the full loan. Could someone clarify please? :smile:

Also do your savings count as unearned income?

Reply 1
The maintenance loan is income assessed. How much you get depends on how much your parents earn. The minimum non-income assessed loan is something like £2909 (don't have the figures to hand right now) and there's a sliding scale, more income = less loan.
Hi, i'm wondering if you could help me; in terms of income assessments for grants/loan amounts, are these conducted every year to reassess the amount or are they fixed for the term of your degree for example? E.g. if your parents were to suffer a cut in their income over the term of your degree, would this influence your loan amount or is it simply fixed for the duration? Many thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Nice'n'Easy
Hi, i'm wondering if you could help me; in terms of income assessments for grants/loan amounts, are these conducted every year to reassess the amount or are they fixed for the term of your degree for example? E.g. if your parents were to suffer a cut in their income over the term of your degree, would this influence your loan amount or is it simply fixed for the duration? Many thanks

They are conducted every year and if there is a change in the income, then the amount you get will change.
Original post by jbw94
Hi

I've read somewhere recently that the amount of maintenance loan you receive will be determined by how much your parents earn.. I always thought that if you aren't entitled to any grants then you get the full loan. Could someone clarify please? :smile:

Also do your savings count as unearned income?

Only the interest on your savings counts as unearned income.
Reply 5
Original post by glittersticks
Only the interest on your savings counts as unearned income.

Thanks everyone :smile: kinda sucks that the loan is income assessed oh well :/ and also with regards to the interest how would they know if you didn't declare it? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending