The Student Room Group

Barclays Capital v Deutsche Bank

Poll

Deutsche Bank or Barclays Capital for Finance summer internship?

Hi

I've applied for summer internships and recieved offers from both Barclays Capital and Deutsche Bank for the Finance division.

Having difficulty deciding which to go for - would welcome suggestions!

From what i've found out, Barcap have functions like product control, financial control as part of their Finance division whereas Deutsche Bank have taken these out and put them into a central utility along with Operations so what is left is more valuations stuff, analytics and director roles but I'm a bit vague on further detail.

Ideally, the aim is to enjoy the internship but of course get an offer for the grad programme.

Barcap is 6-7 weeks, DB 9 weeks.

Which company has a better reputation?

Both offers will expire within a few days so please be quick.

Thank you very much
Reply 1
do not base any element of your decision on a poll conducted on tsr
Reply 2
Thanks. I'm more interested in the comments that people make than just a vote.
Reply 3
Both firms are good. I guess DB has a better reputation but Barcap has been growing exceptionally fast over the past 30 years. Both firms have their own issues. DB has some of the lowest tier one ratios in the industry and will need to raise capital somehow and Barcap will experience ring fencing and the other measures that the Vickers commission will impose on UK's banking system in the years to come.

All of this is completely irrelevant at the summer internship stage though. You should base your decision mainly on conversion rates and reputation (where DB has the upper hand) and marginaly on salary, location, people you met etc.
Reply 4
Apparently Barcap does not care about interns and rarely makes offers after the internship, but that may be only for Tech departament. I would choose DB.
Original post by Frenchous
Both firms are good. I guess DB has a better reputation but Barcap has been growing exceptionally fast over the past 30 years.

lol 30

3 is more realistic

fake edit: actually 3 is a pretty good number
Reply 6
Go for Barcap because they're not going to be ****ed in a years time.
DB has the best international name, people say "they're doing good things at Barcap". If it was an internship I would go DB for the name on the CV if it was a full-time offer I would go for Barcap b/c they will be right up there with GS, MS and JPM, DB in 5 years. By up there I mean top 3
Reply 8
DB will have a tougher time over the next few years than BarCap due to the eurozone crisis. Barcap have grown into a powerhouse DURING the recession. They will soon be one of the big boys on Wall Street. I would go with BarCap but both are excellent firms. Congrats on having a tough dilemma - it's a good dilemma to have in the current climate.

In terms of intern to offer ratios - only trading has a low one. BarCap had something like 20% as did the other banks due to the FICC massacre over the summer and new legislation being implemented making IBs less reliant on trading for revenue (this is more true in US but is spreading over here too, esp with banks that offer retail and corporate services).

Let us know who you choose!
Reply 9
Isn’t the corporate culture a lot more macho, hardcore and competitive at DB? It’s just hearsay, but if true, it might be worth considering.
Reply 10
Original post by ChevalBlanc
Isn’t the corporate culture a lot more macho, hardcore and competitive at DB? It’s just hearsay, but if true, it might be worth considering.

People I have spoken to at interviews suggested that the culture is very 'european' compared to the big american BBs, so it is interesting that you have heard differently.

I suppose when companies are this large, there is a lot of variation.
Original post by fargo89
People I have spoken to at interviews suggested that the culture is very 'european' compared to the big american BBs, so it is interesting that you have heard differently.

I suppose when companies are this large, there is a lot of variation.

Culture depends on your desk. Generally speaking DB is noticeably more laid back than the American banks though.
Reply 12
Original post by Zweihander
Culture depends on your desk. Generally speaking DB is noticeably more laid back than the American banks though.

Whats the general culture like at BarCap?
Original post by The Banker
DB will have a tougher time over the next few years than BarCap due to the eurozone crisis.

Actually DB has already exited most of its propietary positions and reduced it's exposure to the Eurozone by 90%.
Reply 14
Original post by Zweihander
Actually DB has already exited most of its propietary positions and reduced it's exposure to the Eurozone by 90%.

As have most banks both European and non-European. However clients may still prefer to choose a non-European bank for certain financial services. That said, the German economy (looking at figures released today) are still powering through despite the European crisis.
Before the Lehman American acquisition, I would have said DB. But after that, it's got to be BarCap.
They're an absolute powerhouse, when it comes to Rates. But too many people on here still think that the top tier is still GS, Morgan, Citi, etc... Hello, anybody home? Where the f*** have you been for the last couple of years?
:confused:
Original post by student_london
Before the Lehman American acquisition, I would have said DB. But after that, it's got to be BarCap.
They're an absolute powerhouse, when it comes to Rates. But too many people on here still think that the top tier is still GS, Morgan, Citi, etc... Hello, anybody home? Where the f*** have you been for the last couple of years?
:confused:

I agree with you that BarCap is strong and getting stronger, however DB is a still a very good name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending