The Student Room Group

Medium/long hair on males - employability/respectability

Hey all

I'm not presently applying for a job or anything, just now I'm in my first year of university and actually getting on in the real world, I got thinking.

For the past 5 or 6 years I've had medium/long blond hair. Hard to describe really, but the front (It's not really a fringe as such, more just sweeps off to the side) can be pulled down to my mid nose or end of nose in terms of length. The sides are reasonably long (Can reach my mouth when pulled over) and the back goes down to the bottom of my neck and sort of curls/waves off a little bit. So not ridiculously long, just not the normal short guy-style hair. My running "jib" is that I should get a haircut; Of course when I do, it's only to thin it out and take an inch max off so that it doesn't look unkempt.

The reason I've had it this long is because it suits me more than short hair. I have naturally very thick hair and quite a rounded face. So not only does short hair seem a bit stupid when it's that thick, it also makes me look like I'm about 15 which is never really a good thing.

Question is, is this sort of length hair going to put me at a disadvantage in the professional world? Am I going to have to adopt a new, well known short hairstyle in order to be taken seriously in job interviews etc? I mean I'm not an idiot, I can handle a job interview, I have a few good shirts and suits, I'm good at talking to people who I don't really know in a formal situation. But are they going to take a look at my hair and think "This guy isn't making an effort to be taken seriously"? My hair isn't 'messy' or unkept, just quite long.
Reply 1
As long as you mantain it clean and brushed, I don't think there should be any problem :smile: My big brother also has long hair, he seems really like a lion, just as me, but when we goes to work he tied it up in a pony tail (I personally love it XD), always clean and brushed, and voilá!.

I must say that I really really love medium/long hair in boys, so maybe I'm not being obective enough :rolleyes:

So if someone was to hire you, as long as you look decent and tidy, they should not mind.

Buuut, as I just said, my brother has never had a problem about having long hair when looking for a job, so I would not worry too much!
Reply 2
it shouldn't matter, but honestly some employers will discriminate against guys with long hair, just as they will discriminate against people with tattoos, multicoloured hair, people who are too fat etc.
they won't ever tell you that's the reason you don't get the job, but believe me it'll happen.

Don't get me wrong, not all companies will discriminate against somebody for having long hair, but it's a fact of life that it does happen sometimes, so be prepared for that.
Original post by Pthaos

Original post by Pthaos
Hey all

I'm not presently applying for a job or anything, just now I'm in my first year of university and actually getting on in the real world, I got thinking.

For the past 5 or 6 years I've had medium/long blond hair. Hard to describe really, but the front (It's not really a fringe as such, more just sweeps off to the side) can be pulled down to my mid nose or end of nose in terms of length. The sides are reasonably long (Can reach my mouth when pulled over) and the back goes down to the bottom of my neck and sort of curls/waves off a little bit. So not ridiculously long, just not the normal short guy-style hair. My running "jib" is that I should get a haircut; Of course when I do, it's only to thin it out and take an inch max off so that it doesn't look unkempt.

The reason I've had it this long is because it suits me more than short hair. I have naturally very thick hair and quite a rounded face. So not only does short hair seem a bit stupid when it's that thick, it also makes me look like I'm about 15 which is never really a good thing.

Question is, is this sort of length hair going to put me at a disadvantage in the professional world? Am I going to have to adopt a new, well known short hairstyle in order to be taken seriously in job interviews etc? I mean I'm not an idiot, I can handle a job interview, I have a few good shirts and suits, I'm good at talking to people who I don't really know in a formal situation. But are they going to take a look at my hair and think "This guy isn't making an effort to be taken seriously"? My hair isn't 'messy' or unkept, just quite long.

Like a Kurt Cobain type of hair do?
Reply 4
just look smart.

at the end of the day, someone isn't going to hire someone who looks like a mong.
Reply 5
As long as it's brushed, use conditioner (I hate it when people with long hair don't use conditioner), and tied back for the interview if you can, it should be ok. Robbie Savage has amazing blonde hair, if yours was like his, I'd hire you just for the hair.
Reply 6
Original post by marcella
As long as it's brushed, use conditioner (I hate it when people with long hair don't use conditioner), and tied back for the interview if you can, it should be ok. Robbie Savage has amazing blonde hair, if yours was like his, I'd hire you just for the hair.

Problem interviewer? !
Reply 7
Thanks for the positive responses guys. :biggrin:

It's not all that long, not to the point where it can really be tied back, but I wasn't planning on having it chopped off anytime soon so will likely get a bit longer. I do use conditioner and obviously brush it and make it look reasonably presentable (Windy days excused of course.)

It's reassuring to know that it shouldn't be a major issue in serious circumstances. Thanks for your advice. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mosmof
just look smart.

at the end of the day, someone isn't going to hire someone who looks like a mong.

:rofl:
I have very thick and curly hair that I could grow into an afro if I tried, even though I'm as white as can be. It's admittedly messy but I had short hair for my whole life so this is something new. Guidance counselors, parents, teachers, and even my boss all told me to cut my hair before university interviews. I didn't. And wanna know what happened?

In my first interview, the admissions officer told me how jealous she was of my hair and how women pay hundreds of dollars at the salon to get natural-looking curls like mine. We started talking about hair and I just told the truth about how growing long hair was part of my "gap year transformation" and part of my new identity and maturity. Although I've yet to see if I'm accepted, the interview was very fun and relaxed. And my hair played a big part. :afro:
Original post by Ahotaru
As long as you mantain it clean and brushed, I don't think there should be any problem :smile: My big brother also has long hair, he seems really like a lion, just as me, but when we goes to work he tied it up in a pony tail (I personally love it XD), always clean and brushed, and voilá!.

I must say that I really really love medium/long hair in boys, so maybe I'm not being obective enough :rolleyes:

So if someone was to hire you, as long as you look decent and tidy, they should not mind.

Buuut, as I just said, my brother has never had a problem about having long hair when looking for a job, so I would not worry too much!

You know the world is not right when you get turned not because of the length of your hair. Utterly stupid. **** the employers!
Reply 11
Original post by SoulfulBoy
You know the world is not right when you get turned not because of the length of your hair. Utterly stupid. **** the employers!

Indeed.
Sadly we seem to live in a world where appearance is everything! :s-smilie:
Reply 12
My hair is down to my belly button, so far it seems to be respect or not minded by most people when it's in a ponytail, although some people do ask about it and are quite impressed/intrigued by it in general.

Definetly doesn't help with women either, they get jealous of it and play with it but never anything more than that :mad:
Reply 13
Mine sounds kind of a similar length to yours, and i won't lie, i've never gotten a job after having an interview! haha. And I have always wondered what they think of my hair, I mean it's well-kept and everything, i'm pretty obsessive about how my hair looks, but when i've been to interviews i've always been the only guy with longish hair so in my mind I look a bit scruffy!
The only work i've ever managed to get is working at Royal Mail at Christmas and counting votes after elections and referendums.

I'm not too bothered right now as i'm at uni, but I hope that one day i'll manage to bag myself a real job! ha
personally, i have long-ish dark brown hair, and it doesnt bother any of the people i know. or me for that mater. But one thing i find HILARIOUS is guyss with obviously dyed hair - think pakistani with platinum blonde.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending