The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

I want to become a cadet but the online form is not working it is such a pain
BTW do you get interviewed for cadets?
There are no interviews to become a cadet. Try searching online for the number of your regional manager. They can put you through to a cadet unit nearby and you can join that way

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Feel so low after first day of AFA conversion course. I really struggled to carry the weight of the manikan on the chair today but everything else I did fine. I've got the assessment tomoro and I think I'm gonna fail due to the weight. :'(
Original post by KingGoonIan
Feel so low after first day of AFA conversion course. I really struggled to carry the weight of the manikan on the chair today but everything else I did fine. I've got the assessment tomoro and I think I'm gonna fail due to the weight. :'(

Good luck :biggrin: :biggrin:.
Original post by KingGoonIan

I hope it went well. I've struggled with the manikins before too, it's not just you. To be fair, I've struggled carrying people too, luckily I've always been with people who are prepared to take it easy.

I'm currently PTA, just about to do my ETA course, can't wait!

I'm not sure what's been said before but I would definitely recommend LINKS if you're going to uni. I've been in my LINKS unit for 4 years and it's been brilliant, especially since I wasn't part of SJA before uni.
Original post by clairelm006
I hope it went well. I've struggled with the manikins before too, it's not just you. To be fair, I've struggled carrying people too, luckily I've always been with people who are prepared to take it easy.

I'm currently PTA, just about to do my ETA course, can't wait!

I'm not sure what's been said before but I would definitely recommend LINKS if you're going to uni. I've been in my LINKS unit for 4 years and it's been brilliant, especially since I wasn't part of SJA before uni.

Hey yeah LINKS is brilliant I am at uni currently and am running for committee for next year. I actually failed the course though :frown:

But I am gnna apply to be a student nurse so I can do everything an AFA can as long as I am being supervised by an RN :smile:
Hi this is kind of urgent does anyone know where the membership badge is sewn on on the black cadet jumper (not the new one)? thanks
Hi this is kind of urgent does anyone know where the membership badge is sewn on on the black cadet jumper (not the new one)? thanks
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92

given the last 3 revisions of the ( soon to be obselete) wooly pully spanning the past 20 + years have had the breast badges affixed .... you'll struggle to find the location documented ...
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92

This might help: http://member.sja.org.uk/downloads/contribute/cadet-wearing-your-badges.pdf
Hi everyone,

Im thinking of joing St John's Ambulance as a first aider, i had a few questions:

How do you join/apply? Is there a selection process or does everyone get in?
How long does the training take?
How much time do you have to commit?
What kind of things would you do in a typically day as a first aider?
Would it be relevant in a nursing application?
Anything else i should know/ any experiences?

Thanks to anyone that replies :smile:
Original post by SpottedZebra
Hi everyone,

Im thinking of joing St John's Ambulance as a first aider, i had a few questions:

How do you join/apply? Is there a selection process or does everyone get in?
How long does the training take?
How much time do you have to commit?
What kind of things would you do in a typically day as a first aider?
Would it be relevant in a nursing application?
Anything else i should know/ any experiences?

Thanks to anyone that replies :smile:

Hey there! I'm currently a PTA (Patient Transport Attendant) with SJA; i'm going to try and answer as many of your questions the best I can :smile:

1. The best way of joining is to visit your local group and speaking to the leader. This way, you become familiar with the team and other volunteers and they can assist you through the joining process. And within reason, everybody I have known has gotten in. If you have medical issues etc your level of volunteering will be tailored to these.

2. The training process has changed recently. Before you become a first aider to must qualify as a TFA, training first aider. I never went through this process so I can't help you out too much! (Hopefully a newer volunteer can chip in here..) However, the courses usually take 2/3 days.

3. Your level of commitment is entirely your choice. There as requirements, they are however very low. I think it's 50 hours a year. 30 hours from training/weekly meetings and 20 hours from duties. It's very easy to exceed this. I did approx. 180hrs last year and that was along with studying for my A Levels. Speaking for my division; no pressure is placed upon you. Are you a volunteer!

4. Your daily tasks will depend entirely upon the duty you have attended! You may be putting plasters on children's knee's for the day! Or dealing with a major head wound, or you may find yourself in a resuscitation scenario. When people come to you for first aid they do not know your level of training; you must do what you can and call for back up should you require it :smile:

5. Definitely relevant for a nursing application! Around 75% of our volunteers are nurses/paramedics/students studying such subjects!

An experience from me? Two big ones I will always remember! My first MotoX event a lad flew from his bike, fractured his femur in three places and his spine; airlifted to hospital. Such a good casualty! And the second was my first resus. Sad situation since I had cared for the lady for two years, however, knowing what to do and knowing that I did my very best for her is always a comfort. There's a huge support network within SJA to help you cope with scenario's that affect you in any way.

Hope i've helped somewhat! Let me know if you'd like to know anything else :smile:
Original post by EllaBella<3
Hey there! I'm currently a PTA (Patient Transport Attendant) with SJA; i'm going to try and answer as many of your questions the best I can :smile:

1. The best way of joining is to visit your local group and speaking to the leader. This way, you become familiar with the team and other volunteers and they can assist you through the joining process. And within reason, everybody I have known has gotten in. If you have medical issues etc your level of volunteering will be tailored to these.

2. The training process has changed recently. Before you become a first aider to must qualify as a TFA, training first aider. I never went through this process so I can't help you out too much! (Hopefully a newer volunteer can chip in here..) However, the courses usually take 2/3 days.

3. Your level of commitment is entirely your choice. There as requirements, they are however very low. I think it's 50 hours a year. 30 hours from training/weekly meetings and 20 hours from duties. It's very easy to exceed this. I did approx. 180hrs last year and that was along with studying for my A Levels. Speaking for my division; no pressure is placed upon you. Are you a volunteer!

4. Your daily tasks will depend entirely upon the duty you have attended! You may be putting plasters on children's knee's for the day! Or dealing with a major head wound, or you may find yourself in a resuscitation scenario. When people come to you for first aid they do not know your level of training; you must do what you can and call for back up should you require it :smile:

5. Definitely relevant for a nursing application! Around 75% of our volunteers are nurses/paramedics/students studying such subjects!

An experience from me? Two big ones I will always remember! My first MotoX event a lad flew from his bike, fractured his femur in three places and his spine; airlifted to hospital. Such a good casualty! And the second was my first resus. Sad situation since I had cared for the lady for two years, however, knowing what to do and knowing that I did my very best for her is always a comfort. There's a huge support network within SJA to help you cope with scenario's that affect you in any way.

Hope i've helped somewhat! Let me know if you'd like to know anything else :smile:

Thank you! That is so helpful, I think I will contact my local branch :smile:

A couple more questions.....is it all on weekends or sometimes on weekdays? What kind of events can you volunteer at and how far are you expected to travel for it?

this is incorrect the correct way is to contact the volunteer recruitment team at regional HQ or complete the webform on the national public site.

trainee first aider has been introduced as part of standardising the induction process and allows TFAs to attend public duties and work under supervision before commiting to FA training ...

i'd agree with that

75 % of SJA members are not HCPs or student HCPs it might be the case in some units in some places.
Original post by zippyRN
this is incorrect the correct way is to contact the volunteer recruitment team at regional HQ or complete the webform on the national public site.

trainee first aider has been introduced as part of standardising the induction process and allows TFAs to attend public duties and work under supervision before commiting to FA training ...

i'd agree with that

75 % of SJA members are not HCPs or student HCPs it might be the case in some units in some places.

Thanks for your corrections. Things have changed since I joined 3 years ago, don't keep much up to date with joining policies! I would like to add that "our volunteers" did mean my unit, when referring to the level of HCP's; I understand this isn't accurate for the nation.
Thank you! That is so helpful, I think I will contact my local branch :smile:

A couple more questions.....is it all on weekends or sometimes on weekdays? What kind of events can you volunteer at and how far are you expected to travel for it?

Ok lovely :smile: They can best advise you of your next steps! :biggrin:

Speaking for my unit; we have our weekly meetings on mondays and the majority of our duties are at weekends, however, larger duties fall on bank holidays etc. We have a huge bonfire season where I live which we always cover :smile: Once again, maybe speak to your unit leader and find out what types of events they cover! :biggrin: Types of events? A sample of the ones i've covered include; school fetes, bonfire and firework displays, half marathons, food festivals and MotoX is a big duty for us! I've never really had to travel far! If a duty is out of the way we take a team and a vehicle so transport isn't a problem :smile: I think you can get paid mileage allowance though? :smile:
Ok lovely :smile: They can best advise you of your next steps! :biggrin:

Speaking for my unit; we have our weekly meetings on mondays and the majority of our duties are at weekends, however, larger duties fall on bank holidays etc. We have a huge bonfire season where I live which we always cover :smile: Once again, maybe speak to your unit leader and find out what types of events they cover! :biggrin: Types of events? A sample of the ones i've covered include; school fetes, bonfire and firework displays, half marathons, food festivals and MotoX is a big duty for us! I've never really had to travel far! If a duty is out of the way we take a team and a vehicle so transport isn't a problem :smile: I think you can get paid mileage allowance though? :smile:

That's great, sounds exactly the kind of thing id like to do!
That's great, sounds exactly the kind of thing id like to do!

It's so great, honestly! :smile: I've learnt so many medical skills, my personality has changed since joining and i've made so many new friends. Could not recommend it highly enough :smile: All the best! :biggrin:
It's so great, honestly! :smile: I've learnt so many medical skills, my personality has changed since joining and i've made so many new friends. Could not recommend it highly enough :smile: All the best! :biggrin:

Sorry, i hope you dont mind but a few more questions have popped into my head!

What does the training involve? How long does it take?
Are there any expenses for you for things like uniform etc?
Is it common to be dealing with serious injuries or is it mainly cuts, bruises etc?

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending