The Student Room Group

I know someone who's cheating the benefit system...

I've been looking for a few days for the best place to post this, I decided here - but with a risk, seeing as I can't post Anon here...

I know a woman who's about in her late 30's, I used to be friends with her. We were into the same music, so if we weren't wasted at a gig, we'd be at hers drunk I met her via my Mum, they were into the same music, too.

My Mum never thought about this seriously because they were best friends, but I've recently realised, this woman has been claiming full disability benefits (calming that she's 'physically' ill and can't move) for at LEAST the last 4 years.
She is in no was physically disabled, and all she spends her benefit money on is gigs and alcohol.

I know I should tell someone about this, because she's cheating the system. And I know that my Mum would support me if I did, it's just the doing it first that's the problem....
anyone know who/where i should call to report this kind of thing?
or does anyone think i shouldn't report this king of thing?!

thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leave it be. It's her business.
Reply 2
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

and yes, report it, it's us paying for it.
I say leave it
a quick Google search bought this up:
Original post by Tommyjw

and yes, report it, it's us paying for it.

a tiny fraction of a penny each is what we're paying.
Reply 7
I can't believe people are saying leave it.

Should we just let anyone commit a crime and just 'leave it'.

As others have posted there are lots of anonymous ways of reporting this anyway.
Reply 8
you can report anonymously... i do not work silly hours a week and pay my taxes for it to go to people who cba to work!! and im sure YOU dont either!

fgs report it!
Reply 9
Original post by problemsolver

Doesn't matter.
Original post by oli_G
I can't believe people are saying leave it.

Should we just let anyone commit a crime and just 'leave it'.

As others have posted there are lots of anonymous ways of reporting this anyway.

it's a fraction of a penny each. she clearly doesn't want to work, and there are plenty of others who want jobs, and there's a shortage of jobs. it might as well be someone who's happy on benefits who stays on benefits.

why are you all being so miserable?

and some crimes are worse than others. this is someone taking a fraction of a penny from you. It's hardly the same scale as leaving a murderer or rapist roaming the streets. No one got this excited over the thread on shop assistants who short-change, even those who said it is possible that they were doing it deliberately.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
If you know for a fact she is cheating the system report it.

If you have doubts, don't as it could be unfair on a disabled person.
Reply 12

depends what borough u pay council tax to
Reply 13

That's not the point. Why should tax payers money go on her booze and gigs when everyone else has to work to do so? She doesn't have a disability so therefore she shouldn't be claiming disability benefits, end of.
Reply 14

it's a fraction of a penny each. she clearly doesn't want to work, and there are plenty of others who want jobs, and there's a shortage of jobs. it might as well be someone who's happy on benefits who stays on benefits.

why are you all being so miserable?

She's a benefit thief.

If we only persecute certain people the system will just get abused more than it already is.

I don't see how there is any justification for funding this person's lifestyle, despite the small financial cost when you consider it being spread out over the population.
Original post by Tommyjw
Doesn't matter.

I agree. Leave her alone.

The same applies for many of the world's problems.
Original post by Sazzy890
That's not the point. Why should tax payers money go on her booze and gigs when everyone else has to work to do so? She doesn't have a disability so therefore she shouldn't be claiming disability benefits, end of.

Well sure if there was a job needing to be done, I agree it'd be unacceptable. But there's a shortage of jobs now anyway, and plenty of other people wanting to work. Why should she take a job that they want, when she's happy on benefits?
Reply 18
On the one hand if you report her she will have to get a job. This means one less job for people who actually want to work. When we commit to work, we know that we will be paying for people who are sitting ontheir arses, but we still commit to work as we feel happier working. I agree with problemsolver, leave her to it, she is a scum who deserves to waste her life on gigs and booze, she might actually look back one day and regret it.

On the other hand though is a whole trend of people who sit on their bottoms. If these people all decided get back to work suddenly how would it affect britain?
Reply 19
Definitely report her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending