The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Reputation of LSE or quality course of CASS?

Hi all. Going to keep this short. I am 17 and fully intend on becoming a successful, hard working, high earning actuary in the future and so I would like to study actuarial science and the places that I would like to study it at are between Cass and LSE. Overall from what I've heard these past few weeks of inquiring, Cass's course is better quality while LSE is more reputable and is likely to get me interviews. Which one would be better to go to. Or would it be better for me to not study actuarial science and go for something broader in a different university? Just so you know, my GCSE's were 6A*s 3As and a B in English. Also an A in FSMQ. Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I wouldn't apply to the LSE unless you are related to a middle east dictator. Its reputation is dropping rather faster than Italy's credit rating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15976287
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by goofymark13

Original post by goofymark13
Hi all. Going to keep this short. I am 17 and fully intend on becoming a successful, hard working, high earning actuary in the future and so I would like to study actuarial science and the places that I would like to study it at are between Cass and LSE. Overall from what I've heard these past few weeks of inquiring, Cass's course is better quality while LSE is more reputable and is likely to get me interviews. Which one would be better to go to. Or would it be better for me to not study actuarial science and go for something broader in a different university? Just so you know, my GCSE's were 6A*s 3As and a B in English. Also an A in FSMQ. Thanks in advance

They are both excellent universities (with LSE having a stronger reputation).

However, what you should focus on is which uni's good is going to be the right one for you (course content/modules), what kind of area you would want to spend your whole undergraduate year in, social/night life e.t.c. are the factors you need to consider.

And if it's actuarial science that you really really have your heart set on, then that is the right course for you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Maker
I wouldn't apply to the LSE unless you are related to a middle east dictator. Its reputation is dropping rather faster than Italy's credit rating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15976287

You think employers will stop employing graduates from LSE because of that? Really?
Reply 4
Original post by *Hakz*
You think employers will stop employing graduates from LSE because of that? Really?

No, I'm sure the bloke in charge of Syria will be applying soon.
Reply 5
Original post by Maker

Original post by Maker
No, I'm sure the bloke in charge of Syria will be applying soon.

Lool :rofl:
Reply 6
For Actuarial Science? LSE hands down. It's not even worthwhile debating it. Why don't you apply to both though?
Reply 7
I had the same choice as you and chose LSE and to be honest, it was more between LSE and Warwick before Cass.

I also changed course as I decided I didn't want to be an actuary. Think about it. How do you know you want to be an actuary?
Reply 8
I know this is an old post, but I'm taking a long shot here that a couple of you may still use this: I have offers for MMORSE at Warwick, and actuarial science at both cass and LSE... Which ones did you guys end up choosing (if any), and how good is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending