The Student Room Group

How to use tesco self service checkouts with my own bag?

I was so confused when I went tesco as I have a bag for life. At the beginning it says use your own bag so I selected that and then it told me to put the bag in the bagging area. I did and then, because all of the items were in the bag, it said unexpected item in bagging area so I opted in scanning it all and then put the bag aside. Urgh anyone know? Or do I have to go to the 10 items or less area?

If i'm not buying that much then I use the bag for life to walk around with the items. Should next time, I just not do that and put the bag empty? I think I sound a bit confused...
Reply 1
Original post by jrules0193
I was so confused when I went tesco as I have a bag for life. At the beginning it says use your own bag so I selected that and then it told me to put the bag in the bagging area. I did and then, because all of the items were in the bag, it said unexpected item in bagging area so I opted in scanning it all and then put the bag aside. Urgh anyone know? Or do I have to go to the 10 items or less area?

If i'm not buying that much then I use the bag for life to walk around with the items. Should next time, I just not do that and put the bag empty? I think I sound a bit confused...

Press start
Place bag on scale
Press "I'm using my own bag"
Scan.
Reply 2
Original post by Mad Vlad
Press start
Place bag on scale
Press "I'm using my own bag"
Scan.

But do I place the bag empty? Sometimes I use the bag to put the items as I'm shopping..?
Reply 3
You put the items in the bag before you have paid for them? You need to put an empty bag in the bagging area. Use a basket or empty the bag on the other side before you start.
Reply 4
But do I place the bag empty? Sometimes I use the bag to put the items as I'm shopping..?

Put all your bags on the scale empty before you start scanning.
Reply 5
If you put a rucksack or something on the scale, someone will have to come and check it- it's heavy enough to seem like a carrier bag with something inside. You won't have a problem with a reusable fabric carrier bag though.
I usually stick my items into the bagging area without bagging them. Then after the price has been worked out and I've paid, I take everything out of the bagging area and put it into my bag. It works for me, and I think it's an acceptable method. Those machines have messed up for me though e.g. giving the wrong change, the usual "unexpected item in bagging" etc, but I usually get through it anyway using this method.
Did this really need a thread? i mean, people do still work at tesco's right?
Reply 8
i work at tesco.. the correct procedure for using your own bag on self service is as follows:

1) you walk up to the available self service till
2) press 'start'
3) place your empty bag on the bagging area
4) press 'i'm using my own bag'
5) scan your item, place it into your own bag
6) repeat step 5 for all your items
6a) if you need to use another bag, take the bag off the bagging area (an alert might come up, this is normal) put your next empty bag on the bagging area, repeat step 5
7) when finished, press 'finish and pay'
8) scan your clubcard (if you have one)
9) pay
10) take your reciept, bags and walk off

OPERATION COMPLETED.

jesus :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Mate. Don't put stuff in your bag as you shop, shoplifters do that and you'll distract security. I'd probably have pointed you out to them if I saw you doing that.

Put the empty bag in the bagging area. It weighs your shopping as you put it through to check you aren't nicking, the idea of putting the bag in before you start is to basically set the scales at zero, which won't work with a full bag.
It amazes me how few people have worked that out "i'll just put my kid in the bagging area, oh why isn't it working, i'll blame the machine and not my own idiocy" it's so obvious how it works!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10

You're 18 and you cant go shopping without help?
My 11 year old daughter will be in soon, shall I get her to run you through it?
Get a basket and dont put things in your bag as you go round, if you put things in your bag as you go round security may stop you and assume your nicking things and see this as a poor excuse to get out of getting arrested. Common sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending