The Student Room Group

ways to keep warm in the winter periods

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by modini
Do you have a fireplace?

They will need to buy wood to burn even if they had one.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't use the heating in my flat & I usually walk around wearing 2 thick pairs of socks + slippers, and two jumpers over each other (when it's really cold I'll also wrap myself in a blanket :h: ). Also, copious amounts of tea, warms you up from the inside! :tea:
Original post by Pixiefairy
probably sounds stupid but i have very thick hair on my head.. which keeps me warm.. its like a blanket :K:

Haha me too! I can't imagine how cold I would be if I had short hair :nooo:
Reply 63
Original post by Dekota-XS
Electric blanket and long johns. Draft excluders and hand warmers. Cuddles.

Great idea. We don't want to waste money on the heating, instead lets get a electric blanket, that way we will be saving money on electricity?

I have got a scarf around my neck, I am wearing a coat, I might put my gloves on as well, my hand feels kinda numb.

Shut the doors at all times and cover the bottom line of the door so that the cold doesnt get in.
Buy those insulating thermal vests (wear it like underwear- under the clothes), I bought 4 the other day! They are really good.
Reply 65
Us lads have our cock to keep our hands warm.
Reply 66
Original post by AN0
Us lads have our cock to keep our hands warm.

One word: Boobs :sexface:
Reply 67
Original post by Smoosh
One word: Boobs :sexface:

Cocks are still warmer.
Hot water bottles are a good investment. In the coldest house I lived in, I had three hot water bottles. Yes it uses some electricity to heat the water, but if you then keep them under blankets they act as long lasting mini heaters.

I didn't often have to use all three, usually was two, when I got home from work I put the kettle on and the first hot water bottle went in my bed to warm up while I got changed, I had a jumper and two fleeces, a hat and a scarf that I tucked inside the outer fleece. I would then put the kettle on again and get the other hot water bottle and that went in my bed on the other side. Then I got in bed, and listened to the radio/read books etc.

Then I'd get hungry and I'd go in the kitchen and cook something, bring my radio to the kitchen, and stand near the hob/oven so I kept warm, also I'd do some household tasks like cleaning the kitchen etc so I was warming my body through muscle activity. Then back to bed to eat it.

I did kind of 'shut down' a bit when it was really cold, I felt like I was going to work, being warm at work, then walking home in the cold and retreating to bed in the evening to escape the cold.
I never put my heating on either. I wear a jumper and stay in bed :P
Visualise fire and warmth
Reply 72
I'm pretty immune to the cold, we didn't get central heating til I was 12. And I've tried sealing up the draughty old french doors numerous times but the wind blows in pretty bad.
I'm sat here with the window open in my boxers, everyone else in the house is wrapped up warm.

My laptop puts out a lot of heat and it's on all day, I just close the window if I fancy warming up. Never turn the radiator on in my room.
Keeping busy is a good way to not freeze up.
I've taken to wearing onesies from Primark at home. I've got quite a collection growing. Awkward for a middle of the night toilet trip but my toes are toasty and has a hood to keep my ears from freezing off. :colondollar:
T-shirt, hoody, hoody, dressing gown.
I sleep in hoodies, wear hats all day, have fingerless gloves for typing with and I blast my bed with an electric blanket every so often so I don't freeze to death. I'm upstairs in a bungalow and it's super cold :frown:
Reply 76
Original post by babygirl110
Can I ask why you have neg rep? Do people mistake you for shinytoy?

Hello
and huh ? neg rep where ? or which one in other words ?
and y did u get neggd for that ?
Original post by ShinyT
Hello
and huh ? neg rep where ? or which one in other words ?
and y did u get neggd for that ?

I was asking why you have two red gems and if people mistake you for shinytoy.
Reply 78
THANKYOU VERY MUCH

i went to asda and bought some bed socks,slippers
and my night gown which seems to keep me warm ...
as well as wearing as many layers..it looks stupid but its keeping me warm and that's all i care about.

-The running on the spot thing actually works thank you...

It's feels much better to be able to do my assignments without being cold.
Reply 79
Original post by lakeland
Do some exercise! Seriously, when you feel cold, try and do a few push ups/jog on the spot and you will soon feel warmer

Wear a hat. I know it looks funny wearing it inside, but most heat lost through head and all that jazz.

keep doors closed. Draw your curtains, try and all stay in the same place. Like, if you can do your homework in the kitchen with others around, sit downstairs.

Drink warm beverages.

Get those microwave heating things.

Go to bed early.

aboslutely works..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending