The Student Room Group
Yikes, why do you need to do that? I thought consoles charge their internal batteries when turned on, and never heard of them needing replacement!
Reply 2
The battery doesn't recharge, it's dead. I get prompted to enter system settings everytime I switch the console on.
Weird, I know the Dreamcast did it... well can't you just whip out your phillips screwdriver and change it?
Reply 4
cheesecakebobby
Weird, I know the Dreamcast did it... well can't you just whip out your phillips screwdriver and change it?

I've already opened the case. I'm having difficulties removing the actual battery. I can't find anything on the 'net to help me either.
Hmm, I am intrigued and will try to find assistance.

Edit: Don't know if this helps

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/gamecube.htm

IS the problem getting the battery off the board?
Reply 6
Already seen that link, and yes, I can't get the battery off the board. It's bonded some how.
I guess we're not supposed to DIY. Unless you are a wizz with a soldering iron I'd get someone with hardware experience to take a look. Or just you know, buy another Gamecube for about 30 quid.
Reply 8
cheesecakebobby
I guess we're not supposed to DIY. Unless you are a wizz with a soldering iron I'd get someone with hardware experience to take a look. Or just you know, buy another Gamecube for about 30 quid.

I'd rather not if a battery replacement is £2. My GC is actually still covered under the 24 month warrently. I could risk sending it to Nintendo, though if it turns out that I end up paying to post it, I can't be bothered.

Apparently, you can't solder batteries. Or so my dad says. I would have already done that by now. ~_^
Yeah, I found out the hard way *looks sadly at remaining half of dreamcast after the house fire*
Reply 10
If you've opened it you've voided the warentee anyway, so you can't send it back

Its probably been soldered on, you could heat it up and try to move it, but heating up a battery is a bad idea, so is trying to pry it off

What you could try, is, puting the new battery ontop so its 2 batterys in serial, one just passing on current and not holding any charge, and one holding charge :wink:
Reply 11
OMGWTF
If you've opened it you've voided the warentee anyway, so you can't send it back

Its probably been soldered on, you could heat it up and try to move it, but heating up a battery is a bad idea, so is trying to pry it off

What you could try, is, puting the new battery ontop so its 2 batterys in serial, one just passing on current and not holding any charge, and one holding charge :wink:

I'm now aware of 'voiding the warrenty', although there's no seal to break, so how would they know anyway? ~_^

Thanks for the battery idea. Bloody good 'en! :biggrin: I would never have thought of it. I'll rep you tomorrow, though I don't have any repping powers. :frown:

Latest