The Student Room Group

What time is right to tell him i'm abstinent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i don't go to uni until 2013 so...i think i might google it actually and hope to find one or i might have to go thru this a lot more often :frown:

Yeh, have a hunt :smile: I'm sure there would be some youth group... Plus you might be able to get some nice days out if they meet in various places around the country, you never know...

Stay strong, your not the only one. I promise!
Original post by Kage
By no sex, she doesn't just mean until marriage. That I could just about understand. She doesn't want sex AT ALL. Not after marriage or anything

What :zomg:
Reply 42
can i just make it clear that i meant i won't have sex until i'm married, not that i won't have sex ever! can't imagine that :s-smilie:

yeah, cos that would be weird :rolleyes:

in all seriousness, if you're serious about this, please don't just get married at 19 for the sake of sex.
Reply 43
So... No kids? Surely the religion won't last very long..
Reply 44
Original post by Lucia.
Why do people mix up marriage with love so much? To be in love is how you feel about each other and that you are commited, and you can establish that without getting married. Sex before marriage is the path of the ultimate romantic because you're giving every part of yourself to a person..

I'm tired of people saying men are all about sex. Sex isn't a bad thing. Besides, to say or suggest that men are fundamentally that way denies women their sexuality and treats men like animals. Any good man hearing a woman say that kind of thing would find her a prig...and not without reason.

I think the OP should let the man know her views straight up rather than lead him along for too long. Not everyone is compatible and establishing the important facts from the offset is essential because it saves heartache. If the man chooses not to pursue with that knowledge then it is no blot on his character. Issues like views on sex are make or break factors.

I must say that I strongly disagree with the OP's views. She should talk to like-minded people but also be open to people who don't agree. Morality is fluid and we should all be open to hearing different opinions.

Amen.
Reply 45
No hard feelings, think about it from his point of view. Asking a guy who wants sex to stay in a relationship with you while you don't could be considered a little selfish. I'm not suggesting you are selfish, what I'm saying is that you needed to have told him straight from the off. I'm going to be honest, most likely he might leave, but if he doesn't share the same views as you he's not going to be right for you. Lack of sex when both parties don't want it is fine, but lack of sex when one person does and doesn't causes huge strain on a relationship and most of the time leads to a breakup.

The people before suggesting focus groups are right hunny, you need to find a guy with the same mindset as you.
I'd suggest you sit down and tell him immediately, over a coffee or something ya' know. You never know, it could turn out that he doesn't actually mind. Though it is unlikely..
you need to ask yourself why you want to stay abstinent, then try having sex, slowly, you will love it and then realise wtf were you thinking
Reply 47

Original post by Kage
By no sex, she doesn't just mean until marriage. That I could just about understand. She doesn't want sex AT ALL. Not after marriage or anything

I already corrected that, I meant "no sex until marriage" I'm not asexual :/
Reply 48
Original post by Kiss.Me.Quick

Original post by Kiss.Me.Quick
Ignore everyone on here, not all relationships are based on sex and not all guys are after just that. I think you should bring it up soon, just say that you've always wanted to wait til after you're married to have sex. He might respect your decision. If he walks away then it's his loss.
Don't ever do anything you feel like you're not ready to do (especially not so soon into the start of a relationship) and don't not tell him just because you're scared of losing him. I hope things works out for you :smile:.

I thought there might actually be more people who would be willing to stay abstinent in a relationship for their partners, looks like it's all about the sex :frown: I'll tell him next time I see him :frown:
I don't get why you said you 'don't do sex, ever' if you meant no sex before marriage.

I'm in the same boat as you, no sex before marriage, and I made the mistake of making it clear at the beginning that sex wasn't an option. Some people may say it's only fair to put your cards on the table at the start - but in my case, it led to the guy in question using me for what he could get (making out etc - he knew what I felt comfortable with but pushed the boundaries and I was too inexperienced and felt too intimidated to do what I should have done and told him to stop) and then not being interested anymore. So in future, I'll let the guy know from the beginning what religion I am, so he's got a hint about my ideas about sex, but not properly discuss the no sex issue until we've made something of a commitment to each other. if you tell him right from the start, he'll probably not be interested. Whereas if you tell him when you've got to know and like each other a little more, he might think you're worth it regardless and want to stay with you. If he doesn't know you very well and isn't sure he really likes you, saying no sex will make him run for the hills and he won't bother sticking around to see whether you actually would make a good couple.
Reply 50
Original post by ccronline

Original post by ccronline
No hard feelings, think about it from his point of view. Asking a guy who wants sex to stay in a relationship with you while you don't could be considered a little selfish. I'm not suggesting you are selfish, what I'm saying is that you needed to have told him straight from the off. I'm going to be honest, most likely he might leave, but if he doesn't share the same views as you he's not going to be right for you. Lack of sex when both parties don't want it is fine, but lack of sex when one person does and doesn't causes huge strain on a relationship and most of the time leads to a breakup.

The people before suggesting focus groups are right hunny, you need to find a guy with the same mindset as you.
I'd suggest you sit down and tell him immediately, over a coffee or something ya' know. You never know, it could turn out that he doesn't actually mind. Though it is unlikely..

oh I'm not asking him to stay if he doesn't want to, I just don't want to spring it on him too soon or leave it too late. You kmnow, if he gets to know me well enough he might decide I'm worth the wait.
Reply 51

I don't get why you said you 'don't do sex, ever' if you meant no sex before marriage.

I'm in the same boat as you, no sex before marriage, and I made the mistake of making it clear at the beginning that sex wasn't an option. Some people may say it's only fair to put your cards on the table at the start - but in my case, it led to the guy in question using me for what he could get (making out etc - he knew what I felt comfortable with but pushed the boundaries and I was too inexperienced and felt too intimidated to do what I should have done and told him to stop) and then not being interested anymore. So in future, I'll let the guy know from the beginning what religion I am, so he's got a hint about my ideas about sex, but not properly discuss the no sex issue until we've made something of a commitment to each other. if you tell him right from the start, he'll probably not be interested. Whereas if you tell him when you've got to know and like each other a little more, he might think you're worth it regardless and want to stay with you. If he doesn't know you very well and isn't sure he really likes you, saying no sex will make him run for the hills and he won't bother sticking around to see whether you actually would make a good couple.

well I'm just 17 'ever' is till like I'm 20-something not proper forever
I thought there might actually be more people who would be willing to stay abstinent in a relationship for their partners, looks like it's all about the sex :frown: I'll tell him next time I see him :frown:

Yes I think that's for the best. Sex is an integral part of a relationship that many people need and most take it for granted that they will get it. You should admit your beliefs to him; I'm not saying that he will definitely leave, but he should at least be told the truth instead of you keeping this bombshell to yourself. And I don't think you should hold the truth back out of hope that he will fall in love with you or something and decide you're worth the wait. That would be very deceitful and cruel, trying to make him choose between you and a sexual relationship. Just be honest with him. If he's a decent guy, he will do the right thing by both of you.

I'm in the same boat as you, no sex before marriage, and I made the mistake of making it clear at the beginning that sex wasn't an option. Some people may say it's only fair to put your cards on the table at the start - but in my case, it led to the guy in question using me for what he could get (making out etc - he knew what I felt comfortable with but pushed the boundaries and I was too inexperienced and felt too intimidated to do what I should have done and told him to stop) and then not being interested anymore.

this is the problem you (and OP) have.

the guys you are attracted to
the guys that are prepared to sacrifice some (all?) of their prime sexual years for a woman on the off-chance she may break you off a lil' somethin' somethin' at an indeterminate point in the future
the guys that you are attracted to AND are prepared to sacrifice some (all?) of their prime sexual years for a woman on the off-chance she may break you off a lil' somethin' somethin' at an indeterminate point in the future

are three different people. And you keep meeting the first set of guys hoping they are the third set.

So in future, I'll let the guy know from the beginning what religion I am, so he's got a hint about my ideas about sex, but not properly discuss the no sex issue until we've made something of a commitment to each other. if you tell him right from the start, he'll probably not be interested. Whereas if you tell him when you've got to know and like each other a little more, he might think you're worth it regardless and want to stay with you. If he doesn't know you very well and isn't sure he really likes you, saying no sex will make him run for the hills and he won't bother sticking around to see whether you actually would make a good couple.

See what you're recommending is the equivalent of selling insurance that you have no intention of paying out on..............what could possibly go wrong?

:indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)
can i just make it clear that i meant i won't have sex until i'm married, not that i won't have sex ever! can't imagine that :s-smilie:

tbf your OP made it out like you're against ever having sex seeing as you wrote 'there's no chance of us ever', but obviously you can't edit an anon post :tongue:

ugh, this is going to be hard :frown: why do relationships have to hinge on sex!

They don't, but please don't be too hurt or suprised if he does react badly as you cannot expect everyone to share the same beliefs as you, nor can you impose yours on them.

I'd say that if he's already tried to make a move on you, you should say pretty soon. Good luck x
Reply 55
I already corrected that, I meant "no sex until marriage" I'm not asexual :/

In that case, it makes more sense. I thought it was something to do with some kind of religious thing where you couldn't have sex at all :confused:

"The only problem is that i'm abstinent- i don't do sex, ever. I was just wondering what time would be appropriate to let him know. I know it might be a turn off but i don't want to get too deep into it before letting him know that there's no chance of us ever having sex. "

That to me, still means exactly what it says, unless you already don't think he's marriage material, in which case he will never have sex with you, ever.
(edited 12 years ago)

So you are manipulative, deceitful, and immature. What a catch.

I don't understand why you would want to waste someone's time like that. Nobody (who believes in sex before marriage) would have any qualms about breaking up with someone who refused to have sex before marriage, regardless of whether you've made "something of a commitment" to each other. You are incredibly naive to think that some normal guy is going to think, "Oh, turns out my girlfriend won't ever have sex with me unless I marry her, but I've already agreed to go out with her so I'll just go without sex indefinitely".

I'm telling you this for your own benefit. The truth may hurt, but it's better than wasting your time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Thanks to all who replied. We have decided to be just friends instead... C'est fini. :smile:
Reply 58

Original post by Kage
In that case, it makes more sense. I thought it was something to do with some kind of religious thing where you couldn't have sex at all :confused:

"The only problem is that i'm abstinent- i don't do sex, ever. I was just wondering what time would be appropriate to let him know. I know it might be a turn off but i don't want to get too deep into it before letting him know that there's no chance of us ever having sex. "

That to me, still means exactly what it says, unless you already don't think he's marriage material, in which case he will never have sex with you, ever.

he's not my sorta marriage material but he's incredibly cute :wink:
I'm 17, soon to turn 18 but i just recently started dating this smooth-talking, hot 20 year old guy, he's my first date ever and he's really flirty and has already tried to make a move on me even though we've only been on 2 dates. The only problem is that i'm abstinent- i don't do sex, ever. I was just wondering what time would be appropriate to let him know. I know it might be a turn off but i don't want to get too deep into it before letting him know that there's no chance of us ever having sex.

Soz pet lamb but that you gettin humped and dumped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending