The Student Room Group

Would I be eligible for a student loan?

Hi there,

I can't seem to get my head around whether I qualify for a student loan. Here is my situation:

I was born in England and have a British passport, but moved to France at the age of 4. I'd now like to go back to England to study at university, but can only do so with help with my tuition/ living costs.

If anyone has any clear information I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
Reply 1
From what I understand without reading too much, you need to be a UK resident for 3 years to be entitled to any form of living cost loan but you may be entitled to a tuition fee loan. You'd get some help from the French government though surely?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/index.htm Try this.
Reply 2
The above answer is absolutely correct, but I must add that if the course you want to do is related to health you may not have to pay tuition fees. Some courses apply to this, like nursing, occupational therapy, amongst others. To know more, check the NHS web site.

What's the point with the negative rating? Please, the user that gave me that rating, please explain why! Seriously, I'd really like to know!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the answers.

So I'm classed as an EU student then?
I don't know whether I would get any help from the French government since I'm English but thanks for suggesting it, I'll take a look.

The course I'd like to do is a joint honours degree in psychology and events management - seeing as I can"t make up my mind!
Reply 4
Original post by Ruby94
Thanks for the answers.

I don't know whether I would get any help from the French government since I'm English but thanks for suggesting it, I'll take a look.

The course I'd like to do is a joint honours degree in psychology and events management - seeing as I can"t make up my mind!

Thats right
Reply 5
Original post by Ruby94
Thanks for the answers.

Sorry, when I first answered I didn't notice you have a british passport. So, if you have british citizenship, I guess it doesn't matter where have you lived in the last three years. It would matter if you were considered a EU national, but you have a british citizenship. To be sure, I'd phone the english embassy in France. I'm sure they can inform you accurately, in a way ANY ONE of us here can. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, I think you are eligible
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Surely they would be? They're British.
Reply 8
Original post by Ruby94
Hi there,

I can't seem to get my head around whether I qualify for a student loan. Here is my situation:

I was born in England and have a British passport, but moved to France at the age of 4. I'd now like to go back to England to study at university, but can only do so with help with my tuition/ living costs.

If anyone has any clear information I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

You don't need to worry; you are absolutely eligible for the same help someone living in the UK would get. You are a home student, not an EU student.

If you have a British passport and previously lived in the UK, you can live in the UK, EU, EEA or Switzerland for the three years previous to your course and it doesn't effect your eligibility for student finance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Ruby94
Thanks for the answers.

Go to Scotland and it's free! :biggrin:
Original post by heidigirl
You don't need to worry; you are absolutely eligible for the same help someone living in the UK would get. You are a home student, not an EU student.

If you have a British passport and previously lived in the UK, you can live in the UK, EU, EEA or Switzerland for the three years previous to your course and it doesn't effect your eligibility for student finance.

Why would she be a home student if she has lived in France since she was 4? She doesn't mention anywhere that she would be coming back before uni.
Original post by Infallible
Surely they would be? They're British.

Why? They won't have lived here for the 3 years prior to the course.
Reply 12
There is some clause re: freedom of movement. I have no idea how this works though, or what rules there are in place.
Original post by jelly1000
Why would she be a home student if she has lived in France since she was 4? She doesn't mention anywhere that she would be coming back before uni.

Because like I said, if you're from the UK, the residency condition is that you need to have lived in the UK OR EU/EEA/Switzerland for the three years prior to your course. The OP has lived in France, which is in the EU, and therefore they fulfil the residency condition.

The other clause is that they need to have been settled previously in the UK, which the OP was because they were born there and lived there until they were 4.

The reason is basically because if you are British, you are perfectly entitled to exercise your right to live in the EU/EEA or Switzerland so they can't discriminate against you because you/your family has chosen to do so.

I know what I'm talking about; me and my sister have both been through this. When my sister was applying they didn't mention it on the student finance website (they changed it the next year by the time I applied though-it's still not very clear though so it's no wonder a lot of people are still confused) so I had to trawl through all the rules for her to work out what she would get.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks ever so much.
I've had a look on the internet and seem to have found the form I'll need to complete in the new year.
It's the one for EU students, but the only thing is it says at the top that if I've lived in the UK anytime since birth then I should contact et EU customer services. I guess I'm going to have to make time somehow ; the opening hours are ever so awkward.

Thank you again for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending