The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickenonsteroids
History ... I don't understand analysis too well for some reason :sigh:

What is your coursework about?

On the second of the two courses in History I'm doing I'm having issues too, I need to put more energy into it. What's the analysis an analysis of?

A comparison of Wilde's A Woman of No Importance and Ibsen's A Doll's House. I love them both for different reasons.
Original post by VictorDeLost
Love your sig

Hahaha thanks, it cracks me up every time :rofl:
Original post by JohnFarrell

You stalker :smile:

He's not a stalker...he just knows his way around the internet :laugh:
Original post by Coco_94
About as much of a link as there probably is between religion and violence.

I was joking, I think john got the joke.
I know you were trying to disagree with my point, but you actually supported it because as you might know, there's a lot of violence in the world because of religion.
Original post by Coco_94
On the second of the two courses in History I'm doing I'm having issues too, I need to put more energy into it. What's the analysis an analysis of?

A comparison of Wilde's A Woman of No Importance and Ibsen's A Doll's House. I love them both for different reasons.

It's just essays in general. I'm doing one on how Germany was the main cause of war in 1939.

Ohhh we're doing A Doll's House later :biggrin:
Original post by VictorDeLost
I was joking, I think john got the joke.
I know you were trying to disagree with my point, but you actually supported it because as you might know, there's a lot of violence in the world because of religion.

A discussion. :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:

Human nature is the problem. Not religion. I think it's incredibly naive (whilst being an atheist myself) to say that religion is the source of a lot of violence. In my eyes it's an expression of something else that's wrong with humanity, or anyone who goes so far as to commit violence. I can't deny religion is a tool, because religion is one of many tools. It's just there're going to be a combination of other factors much greater than just religion that contribute to violence.

Look up the Stanford Prison Experiment, or Milgram and you begin to see horrible deeds and violence can easily be done without it...it's a matter of producing an us and them mentality, leading them slowly step by step and having them obey anyone who has some form of unquestioned social power.

It's just essays in general. I'm doing one on how Germany was the main cause of war in 1939.

Ohhh we're doing A Doll's House later :biggrin:

Ouch, that's a bit one sided, but interesting.

Ibsen's great, a very interesting playwright, certainly innovative for the time. Very challenging for the 19th century too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Coco_94

Look up the Stanford Prison Experiment, or Milgram and you begin to see horrible deeds and violence can easily be done without it...it's a matter of producing an us and them mentality, leading them slowly step by step and having them obey anyone who has some form of unquestioned social power.

:woo: discussion :woo:

psychology :sogood: :sogood:

Have you any books I can read to increase my knowledge of it?

Original post by Coco_94

Ibsen's great, a very interesting playwright, certainly innovative for the time. Very challenging for the 19th century too.

No it isn't. I paraphrased it poorly. It's "to what extent was Germany the cause of the outbreak of war in 1939" or something like that :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
:woo: discussion :woo:

psychology :sogood: :sogood:

Have you any books I can read to increase my knowledge of it?

No it isn't. I paraphrased it poorly. It's "to what extent was Germany the cause of the outbreak of war in 1939" or something like that :tongue:

Haven't had one for some time. :lol:

Agreed. :woo:

Of psychology as a whole? Or the work of Zimbardo and Milgram?

Oh, my mistake. :rofl:
Original post by Coco_94
Haven't had one for some time. :lol:

Agreed. :woo:

Of psychology as a whole? Or the work of Zimbardo and Milgram?

Oh, my mistake. :rofl:

Anything you think i'd find interesting (even though you don't know me that well :tongue: ) something you find interesting then :smile:

It was my mistake don't worry :tongue:
Anything you think i'd find interesting (even though you don't know me that well :tongue: ) something you find interesting then :smile:

It was my mistake don't worry :tongue:

Personally I have a thing for the whole consciousness issue, whether human nature really is as terrible as Freud, Nietzsche and others all say and linguistics. I can't remember what you said on the consciousness issue and the mind-body problem..Damn I love how Philo and Psych over-lap sometimes.

Social Psychology I'm probably no more knowledgeable than you.
Original post by Coco_94
Personally I have a thing for the whole consciousness issue, whether human nature really is as terrible as Freud, Nietzsche and others all say and linguistics. I can't remember what you said on the consciousness issue and the mind-body problem..Damn I love how Philo and Psych over-lap sometimes.

Social Psychology I'm probably no more knowledgeable than you.

Ah I like consciousness, anything specifically on that?

Do you think the 'mind' exists? Here's something that does well to start thwarting the mind issue. This is quite interesting :yes:
Ah I like consciousness, anything specifically on that?

Do you think the 'mind' exists? Here's something that does well to start thwarting the mind issue. This is quite interesting :yes:

It's such a big question and I still know so little, and even anyone who knows anything about this matter will know relatively little.

Turing, Nagel, Dennett. They've all done essays and books on consciousness. Dennett wrote an interesting book called Consciousness Explained which is decent - except for the fact how he tried to drag down Descartes by pointing at the soul being connected to the body through the pinneal gland alone - I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Yes I think the mind exists, what the mind is and how it's made up is another story.
Original post by Coco_94
It's such a big question and I still know so little, and even anyone who knows anything about this matter will know relatively little.

Turing, Nagel, Dennett. They've all done essays and books on consciousness. Dennett wrote an interesting book called Consciousness Explained which is decent - except for the fact how he tried to drag down Descartes by pointing at the soul being connected to the body through the pinneal gland alone - I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Yes I think the mind exists, what the mind is and how it's made up is another story.

I was going to read consciousness explained but I never got round to doing so.

I'm lead to believe that it's material, yet consciousness is one of the greatest things about humans, and it's rather wonderful it's still a big mystery. Just the nature of it makes it a lovely thing to study.
I was going to read consciousness explained but I never got round to doing so.

I'm lead to believe that it's material, yet consciousness is one of the greatest things about humans, and it's rather wonderful it's still a big mystery.

I know what you mean, there's so much to read and so little time. :lol:

Mind = brain to you?

What interests me is how abstract thoughts can affect emotion or become related/linked to them in such a way. Especially since when thoughts aren't material by nature even if they're the product of cognitive function.
Original post by Coco_94
I know what you mean, there's so much to read and so little time. :lol:

Mind = brain to you?

What interests me is how abstract thoughts can affect emotion or become related/linked to them in such a way. Especially since when thoughts aren't material by nature even if they're the product of cognitive function.

In two different aspects. The words shouldn't be used interchangeably but it's the physical brain that controls us. I also think that language plays an important part on whether we have a mind or not.

Is it solvable? :dontknow:
In two different aspects. The words shouldn't be used interchangeably but it's the physical brain that controls us. I also think that language plays an important part on whether we have a mind or not.

Is it solvable? :dontknow:

I don't know, I think we have concepts before we fully articulate them to one another with language, but I have thought that some union of the senses and anything we use to experience the outer world is key.

I :dontknow: either. That's what makes it all the more exciting.
Original post by Coco_94
I don't know, I think we have concepts before we fully articulate them to one another with language, but I have thought that some union of the senses and anything we use to experience the outer world is key.

I :dontknow: either. That's what makes it all the more exciting.

:sogood:

Whoever says that philosophy or psychology is boring should be exiled :yes:
Original post by Coco_94
A discussion. :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:

Human nature is the problem. Not religion. I think it's incredibly naive (whilst being an atheist myself) to say that religion is the source of a lot of violence. In my eyes it's an expression of something else that's wrong with humanity, or anyone who goes so far as to commit violence. I can't deny religion is a tool, because religion is one of many tools. It's just there're going to be a combination of other factors much greater than just religion that contribute to violence.

Yes. I agree that human nature is a problem but sir you've already conceded by agreeing that religion is a tool of violence, which was my point(not meant to pave the way for discussion btw).
The soviet union is a pretty good argument for how evil non-religious organisations can be.
And you could argue that a lot of crimes are commited by people who do not practise any religion.

Anyway, end discussion.
/
Reply 7998
chickenonsteroids
Coco_94

Hey, sorry for just quoting you like this. I remember ages ago, one of you posted this video of an experiment where people were told they were testing another person "for science" and electrocuting them (to lethal levels). Do you know what I'm talking about/could link to that vid, please? Thanks :smile:
New name :smile:
This is John to anyone wondering.

Latest