The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8380
Original post by berryripple
I really feel for all the people who've not done as well as they hoped :frown:
So glad all you thread people are fine :biggrin:

Hopefully we're all happy with our summer results too! :redface:

Original post by wcp100
I do. It's just everyone wants to do medicine.

Ahhh. :lol: We have lots of medics at my college, but we have lots of mathematicians too. I suppose for maths you either are gifted at maths or you're not and you can't learn mathematical creativity, whereas medicine is a combined effort of several subjects.
Reply 8381
Original post by wcp100
I'm taking STEP next year and I'm not doing AEA nor is anyone else.

I see. I've already signed up for AEA and although it's not too late to change my mind at the moment I think I'll go ahead and take it. At this stage it looks like it might be a struggle to get a distinction though... I feel like I should really be doing a lot more work at the moment in preparation.
Reply 8382
Original post by wcp100
I do. It's just everyone wants to do medicine.

Ah, yes, those people. :biggrin: We have our fair share as well, but Mathematics is also quite popular in my school for some reason.
Original post by Etoile

Ahhh. :lol: We have lots of medics at my college, but we have lots of mathematicians too. I suppose for maths you either are gifted at maths or you're not and you can't learn mathematical creativity, whereas medicine is a combined effort of several subjects.

Were as medicine you can b**sh*t at interview:tongue:
I was so happy today, until my maths teacher laughed at me because of my c2 mark. Damnit I'm never going to live that down now.

Also, anyone else's entire year seem to fail at least one exam? So many Us... So many crying friends... Today was depressing.
Original post by berryripple
Just seen your sig - are you going to the Oxford law taster day next week? :smile:

Sadly not, I didn't come across it until all the places had already been allocated :frown: Will hopefully get to a general open day at some point though. Are you?
Original post by wcp100

Ahhhhh yeaaaah ;D

Unless you apply to Cambridge for med, in which case the interview is disgustingly tough -_-'
Original post by Boom533
Ahhhhh yeaaaah ;D

Unless you apply to Cambridge for med, in which case the interview is disgustingly tough -_-'

What questions do they ask?
Reply 8388
Original post by Llewellyn
I was so happy today, until my maths teacher laughed at me because of my c2 mark. Damnit I'm never going to live that down now.

Also, anyone else's entire year seem to fail at least one exam? So many Us... So many crying friends... Today was depressing.

We (the year 12s) didn't take any January exams but I spoke to a couple of people in the year above, and one of them was really disappointed with 90 UMS in FP1 since he only lost three marks! I guess I'd be quite pissed off as well if the grade boundaries were so high when I took my exams.
Original post by und
We (the year 12s) didn't take any January exams but I spoke to a couple of people in the year above, and one of them was really disappointed with 90 UMS in FP1 since he only lost three marks! I guess I'd be quite pissed off as well if the grade boundaries were so high when I took my exams.

Yeah the fp1 'a' boundary was retarded (69ish) I think my S1 boundary was around 66, which is also pretty high. Luckily they are both AS modules.

You aren't doing any January exams? Doesn't that leave you with like ~10 exams this summer? :/ I didn't enjoy procrastinating over Christmas particularly much but I'm grateful for having 2 chances at some of my as modules.
Reply 8390
Yeah the fp1 'a' boundary was retarded (69ish) I think my S1 boundary was around 66, which is also pretty high. Luckily they are both AS modules.

You aren't doing any January exams? Doesn't that leave you with like ~10 exams this summer? :/ I didn't enjoy procrastinating over Christmas particularly much but I'm grateful for having 2 chances at some of my as modules.

I have nine maths exams including AEA, and a further three in other subjects. I'm not too fussed about it because it gives me more time to revise and since the later modules build upon the earlier ones, it'll be less to revise overall and I'll be more prepared for the exams. I don't think I'd be very keen on doing retakes, so I don't really see that as an advantage either. Are you planning to retake anything?
Original post by und
I have nine maths exams including AEA, and a further three in other subjects. I'm not too fussed about it because it gives me more time to revise and since the later modules build upon the earlier ones, it'll be less to revise overall and I'll be more prepared for the exams. I don't think I'd be very keen on doing retakes, so I don't really see that as an advantage either. Are you planning to retake anything?

Well you do seem to be on top of your work :smile: the way you talk about "building" suggests to me you're doing quite a number of maths modules, I approve of your A levels this is the case!

I won't resit anything. My lowest mark was 118/120 (Biol), which was ok considering my teacher predicted me a C

Edit: Are you doing any extra work for the AEA? My teacher says "it's a doddle", although I haven't decided if I'm sitting it yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8392
Well you do seem to be on top of your work :smile: the way you talk about "building" suggests to me you're doing quite a number of maths modules, I approve of your A levels this is the case!

I won't resit anything. My lowest mark was 118/120 (Biol), which was ok considering my teacher predicted me a C

Edit: Are you doing any extra work for the AEA? My teacher says "it's a doddle", although I haven't decided if I'm sitting it yet.

Indeed, the reason we're doing C1-4, M1-2 and S1-2 this year is so that we can drop half of maths next year and still end up with both A levels. Which modules are you doing?

It's a shame you lost two marks. :biggrin:

We have a half an hour lesson every week in which we're given past questions and hints if we need them, but I haven't started doing proper work yet. I'll start that in study leave, since I have a one month period in which my only exams are C3, C4 and AEA. Either your teacher thinks you're spectacular at maths, or he's lying! Personally I find STEP I more approachable than AEA, since at least you have a choice of questions! In AEA if you can't do just one of the questions that might cost you your distinction. That said I think that by the time I take the AEA exam I'll be ready for it; well, I hope I'll be ready.
Reply 8393
Original post by wcp100

Can you? Wow, I should have let them talk me into medicine! :lol:

:nothing:

Original post by Boom533
Ahhhhh yeaaaah ;D

I think all Cambridge interviews are disgustingly tough :emo:
Original post by Etoile
Too implying it was for you? There were a few tears I saw around today.

Not compared to everyone else. But not exactly happy about it, after performing consistent As, working my arse off, "beasting" the mocks I then come out with a C, so yes there's some frustration. The thing is though out of the three others who've worked like that too, only one got a C there too, the others got less and these aren't really slackers.

The mood was not great through Thursday. Tried to have a nice night instead with some friends so it improved, and a good enough chat with another who's at uni had a nice talk with me and gave a sound perspective and words. She says exam pressure, amongst other things. I hope that's all it was.

How were yours though? Good I hope? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chickenonsteroids
How were your results coco?

See response to Etoile. Danke for asking though.
Original post by h2shin
Daaamn... which ones?

two for psychology, two for chemistry, two for biology and three for maths
these include resits
what exams do u have?
Original post by und
Well, I have twelve. :unimpressed:

LOOOL :biggrin:
Reply 8398
Original post by Coco_94
Not compared to everyone else. But not exactly happy about it, after performing consistent As, working my arse off, "beasting" the mocks I then come out with a C, so yes there's some frustration. The thing is though out of the three others who've worked like that too, only one got a C there too, the others got less and these aren't really slackers.

The mood was not great through Thursday. Tried to have a nice night instead with some friends so it improved, and a good enough chat with another who's at uni had a nice talk with me and gave a sound perspective and words. She says exam pressure, amongst other things. I hope that's all it was.

How were yours though? Good I hope? :smile:

:console::console: Are you going to get your paper back to have a look at/get it remarked or reviewed?
In summer you really will beast :smile:
Mine, pretty much the same as yours. Got a B and teachers and tutor were all like :unimpressed: but I've got more health issues so that's not exactly top of my mind at the moment. Which reminds me, Y U ON TSR IN MIDDLE OF DAY? :hugs:
Original post by Etoile
:console::console: Are you going to get your paper back to have a look at/get it remarked or reviewed?
In summer you really will beast :smile:
Mine, pretty much the same as yours. Got a B and teachers and tutor were all like :unimpressed: but I've got more health issues so that's not exactly top of my mind at the moment. Which reminds me, Y U ON TSR IN MIDDLE OF DAY? :hugs:

Yup. Just in case. I'm going in for a re-take too.
I have no choice but to, thanks.
Oh I see. :hugs::console:
It's a teacher training day. :hugs:
Is the health thing linked to you being on TSR in the middle of the day too, instead of at school?

Latest