The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Poppyxx
don't be terrified!

0th week starts on Sunday 30th September - most colleges have their (non international) students arriving on the Monday or Tuesday.

I went from being convinced I wouldn't get into Uni ( the year above had freaked me out to bits by getting 1/5 offers for English) to being convinced I would go to Nottingham. I never thought of how to deal with an acceptance, haha :tongue:

I thought so- thanks! :smile:
Original post by Your New Shoes
Oh my god exactly. No one expected me to get in, they kept congratulating the wrong person for about a week! Getting three A's did not seem at all hard before this happened. I always thought that at least if I messed up I could beg Nottingham to let me in, now it would be an attempt to get to Scotland out of the blue haha. What's your insurance?

Never been so scared of results day, FML.

My insurance is Exeter university (AAB), but although I like it, it's much further away from home, and I'd much rather be at Oxford! :tongue:
Completely irrelevant but if you desire to study Economics and Management in Oxford, are Economics, Maths, Physics and Philosophy good A Level subject choices?
Original post by Niki_girl
My insurance is Exeter university (AAB), but although I like it, it's much further away from home, and I'd much rather be at Oxford! :tongue:

Exeter was meant to be my insurance, but then I accidentally applied for a course with 75 people in it ( I'm clever like that) and they gave me an offer higher than Oxford, lol.
Original post by KingMessi
Me. I switch between desperately wanting to go right now, and then being terrified that due to not having done any continuous work since December, I shan't be able to keep up.

That's exactly how I feel, except, of course, it's been since last June, rather than December for me. I honestly think that by October, I'll have completely forgotten how to write essays, not to mention everything I learned in school.
Original post by NidaJaffri
Completely irrelevant but if you desire to study Economics and Management in Oxford, are Economics, Maths, Physics and Philosophy good A Level subject choices?

Yes good choices! Make sure you read around the subject too - go to public lectures on Economics etc, keep abreast of the news and that all helps if you get an interview. Your subject choices are great. Good luck :smile:
Exeter was meant to be my insurance, but then I accidentally applied for a course with 75 people in it ( I'm clever like that) and they gave me an offer higher than Oxford, lol.

Oh noo! That's kind of funny, I'm guessing the course is so oversubscribed that they really have to up the offer grades! To be fair, for history the grades at Exeter ranged from AAB-A*AA, and I was just lucky I think, to get a lower offer, obviously if I'd been given an AAA/A*AA offer and still got an offer from Oxford then they wouldn't have gotten a look in! My insurance in that scenario would have probably been UEA, which was really nice. :yep:
Original post by sixdaysinthesun
That's exactly how I feel, except, of course, it's been since last June, rather than December for me. I honestly think that by October, I'll have completely forgotten how to write essays, not to mention everything I learned in school.

Well, it was last June that I last did schoolwork, but I did some form of work to prepare for interview and wrote a lot of ELAT essays. I really want a reading list so I can just start, my first essay is going to be absolute trash. :erm:

Exactly! And I got a four page reading list and an essay already so it's a bit scary. I have to email them to say I received it but keep putting it off for some reason...Funnily enough they sent me a " thank you for accepting our offer" and I haven't even accepted them yet, cheeky! :biggrin:

I really want a reading list! How long is it? And an essay? What's the essay on? And which college are you heading to? I love their presumption...are you waiting on other choices?
Reply 1188
Been reading 'Jill' by Phil Larkin. It's a very depressing book about a boy called John (viz. Philip Larkin) from "the provinces" (viz. lancashire) coming up to Oxford and getting his self-esteem throttled by some "braying" toffs cause he can't tie a bow tie. And that's basically the plot of the novel....

It's weirdly compelling tho... i cant get thru three pages without squirming with embarasment at the way John puts his foot it at every possible moment...

Anyhow thought it was relevant for us freshers, and its also a great book if u like cringing repeatedly...
Does anyone know when the Teddy Hall reading lists are sent out? Sorry, but I can't get a facebook account to join the group so I can't ask there.
Well, it was last June that I last did schoolwork, but I did some form of work to prepare for interview and wrote a lot of ELAT essays. I really want a reading list so I can just start, my first essay is going to be absolute trash. :erm:

I really want a reading list! How long is it? And an essay? What's the essay on? And which college are you heading to? I love their presumption...are you waiting on other choices?

Are you applying for English? Something about the Bronte sisters haha. It's exciting at first, then you realise that even if you do manage to read most of the books, you probably won't be able to remember them too well. It's four pages, seems like about ninety books or so. I'm sure you'll get one in time.
St.Hilda's, you? :smile:
I was waiting from Edinburgh for about seven months, only to have my first rejection, haha but I've firmed Oxford now :redface:
Original post by Niki_girl
Oh noo! That's kind of funny, I'm guessing the course is so oversubscribed that they really have to up the offer grades! To be fair, for history the grades at Exeter ranged from AAB-A*AA, and I was just lucky I think, to get a lower offer, obviously if I'd been given an AAA/A*AA offer and still got an offer from Oxford then they wouldn't have gotten a look in! My insurance in that scenario would have probably been UEA, which was really nice. :yep:

Yeah ,my friend called them up and managed to tease out the offer that they would give for Law with her predictions, no such luck for me- but it's my own fault for applying to such a random course (the sole reason being that I wanted the nice campus :facepalm:).
Are you applying for English? Something about the Bronte sisters haha. It's exciting at first, then you realise that even if you do manage to read most of the books, you probably won't be able to remember them too well. It's four pages, seems like about ninety books or so. I'm sure you'll get one in time.
St.Hilda's, you? :smile:
I was waiting from Edinburgh for about seven months, only to have my first rejection, haha but I've firmed Oxford now :redface:

I applied for English, yes. Well, I was very keen at the start of this month and bought a whole lot of stationary to make notes. :colondollar: I just need to pick a book and start...I'm very much looking forward to having a focus again.

I was accepted by St. Edmund Hall. I'm not familiar with St. Hilda's...:erm: I presume it was a nice feeling to firm Oxford? :five:
Original post by Bob400001
Does anyone know when the Teddy Hall reading lists are sent out? Sorry, but I can't get a facebook account to join the group so I can't ask there.

I wish I knew. If I get an answer on the Facebook group I'll post a message on here. :smile:
I applied for English, yes. Well, I was very keen at the start of this month and bought a whole lot of stationary to make notes. :colondollar: I just need to pick a book and start...I'm very much looking forward to having a focus again.

I was accepted by St. Edmund Hall. I'm not familiar with St. Hilda's...:erm: I presume it was a nice feeling to firm Oxford? :five:

I'm not familiar with any colleges, lol but Hilda's is one of the ones slightly out, next to the botanical gardens. Are you on a gap year or something? I'm doing three essay subjects so being keen on note taking is just blergh.

But I've picked up a fair bit of George Eliot from the list and it's actually really good, so you can consider that? I think any English classic you pick up will come in handy, it's a shame though- I've had to put away my Dostoyevsky :frown:

It felt amazing, but I kept panicking that I'd firm Glasgow by accident haha (I'm gonna go check again to see I didn't mess up)
Original post by candide
Been reading 'Jill' by Phil Larkin. It's a very depressing book about a boy called John (viz. Philip Larkin) from "the provinces" (viz. lancashire) coming up to Oxford and getting his self-esteem throttled by some "braying" toffs cause he can't tie a bow tie. And that's basically the plot of the novel....

It's weirdly compelling tho... i cant get thru three pages without squirming with embarasment at the way John puts his foot it at every possible moment...

Anyhow thought it was relevant for us freshers, and its also a great book if u like cringing repeatedly...

hmmmm how do you tie a bow tie
Reply 1196
Original post by dnumberwang
hmmmm how do you tie a bow tie

Same as shoelaces, but a little fiddlier.
Original post by candide

I LOVE LARKIN gonna add it to my post-a levels oxford-theme to read/watch list (inc. An Education, The History Boys, Brideshead Revisited)
Reply 1198
Original post by doloroushazy
I LOVE LARKIN gonna add it to my post-a levels oxford-theme to read/watch list (inc. An Education, The History Boys, Brideshead Revisited)

haha i read brideshead revisited too.

the history boys is a great film! i love how their advice to get into oxford is be intellectually dishonest and come up with ridiculous and original interpretations of history for which there isn't one iota of evidence!
Reply 1199
Original post by candide
haha i read brideshead revisited too.

the history boys is a great film! i love how their advice to get into oxford is be intellectually dishonest and come up with ridiculous and original interpretations of history for which there isn't one iota of evidence!

We're actually studying History Boys in English Lit. ! It's brilliant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending