The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by medbh4805
I wonder what it was like when the seimhiú was written the old way with a ponc instead of the h....:beard:

Ha, I don't know! The old dot could be brought back, to those who don't know about it the H is just confusing. At least then people who aren't familiar with Irish would know that the word is mean to be pronounced in a way that they aren't familiar with, rather than trying to say things like Siobhán as 'see-ob-han' and suchlike. :tongue: Maybe it's a bit late now. Imagine using an unsimplified surname like Conchobhair today, you'd have to get used to being 'Mr/Mrs Con-chob-hair'
Reply 181
Original post by dobbs
x

Original post by Annie72
x

Original post by SsEe
x

You're all awesome! :awesome:
Original post by Etoile
They are two different places, but pronounced differently :confused:

Oh.

Cool.
Reply 183
Original post by aeterno
You're all awesome! :awesome:

+ rep.....:smile:
Reply 184
hahahah I used to call sean.... scene!
Reply 185
Original post by Jim_Taylor
My friend Siobhan gets angry when I say it like shu-born. I finally learnt after she would hit me each time I got it wrong :biggrin: LOL

Unless she spells it Siobhán you can rightly call her 'sha-van', rather than 'sha-vorn'. :biggrin:

It always confuses me that when the name was Anglicised the á was replaced with a, yet the lenited bh was retained. I don't know why they didn't convert all the letters, and make it into Shavorn or whatever. It was only half-Anglicised, same goes for Sean/Seán.
Original post by Craig_D
Unless she spells it Siobhán you can rightly call her 'sha-van', rather than 'sha-vorn'. :biggrin:

It always confuses me that when the name was Anglicised the á was replaced with a, yet the lenited bh was retained. I don't know why they didn't convert all the letters, and make it into Shavorn or whatever. It was only half-Anglicised, same goes for Sean/Seán.

I think it's because a lot of people seem to believe an seimhiú doesn't matter (even, depressingly, among some Gaeilgeoirí). It irritates me to no end when people leave it off my name. "Grainne" means something completely different from "Gráinne" - I insist vehemently that it's a misspelling :fuhrer:
I'm a Siobhán and I've lost count of the number of different pronunciations and spellings I've had.
The Critical Care Unit at the hospital is full of Irish nurses and so we've a huge number wonderful names: Aoife, Aisling, Niamh, Sian. I felt right at home doing my work experience there!
Reply 188
Original post by philistine

... your now incredibly foolish mistake.

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but until last night, I always pronounced Goethe as 'go-uff', when it's actually 'gert-uh'.

I feel so ashamed. :emo:

Go.

EDIT: It was during All Quiet on The Western Front, where the tutor says to the class, 'he wants to be all like Goethe and Schiller'. Thank you, for pointing out my ignorance.

:smug:

Arkansas. Or perhaps Kreacher, from the HP novels.

... your now incredibly foolish mistake.

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but until last night, I always pronounced Goethe as 'go-uff', when it's actually 'gert-uh'.

I feel so ashamed. :emo:

Go.

EDIT: It was during All Quiet on The Western Front, where the tutor says to the class, 'he wants to be all like Goethe and Schiller'. Thank you, for pointing out my ignorance.

:smug:

Iron, the one used to get rid of creases on clothes.
I pronounced it as Iron until one of my friends corrected me after 16 years.
Original post by scriggy
Hermione.

:colonhash:

Yeah it's pronounced; heroin
Her-me-own

For Hermione. Who the **** creates a children's book character whose name is impossible to get right? Retard.
Neeeem (Niamh)

Her-mee-own (Hermione)

Mat - huw (Matthew)

Hug–huh (Hugh)

Then again, I couldn't spell my name until I was seven.:confused:
Original post by Emily:-)
I knew there'd be a lot of Irish names in this thread :laugh::laugh:

In Northern Ireland, you can generally tell who is a Protestant and who is a Catholic because the Protestants (like the English) look at Irish names like Fionnuala, Roisin, Caoimhe, Siobhan etc with blank faces!

LOL I fulfill this stereotype stupidly well :colondollar:

I am learning though! :proud:
Original post by GeekyNick
Eoin (as in Eoin Colfer)

I had read most of the Artemis Fowl books before I realised it should be "Owen" and not "E-oin" (Rhyming with coin) .

Judging by his website it must happen a lot ...

I thought it was pronounced as Ian :colonhash:.

BTW, Arkansas is a french pronunciation of a Quapaw (Native American tribe) word.
(edited 12 years ago)
Phoebe.

Always thought it was 'Phow-eb' :colondollar:
When I was really little I couldn't for the life of me work out how to pronounce 'Bartholomew'

It was just a really huge word when I was tiny :frown:
Sinead

For years I thought it was sin-ee-ad until someone told me it was 'shin-aid'.

Also I used to read Arya as something stupid like area.

And I used to think siobhan was see-o-ban, which isn't even a name at all :')
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lollyage
Phoebe.

Always thought it was 'Phow-eb' :colondollar:

lol, I thought it was Foe-Bee :colondollar:
Reply 199
Original post by Etoile
Niamh :emo: and no one I asked seemed to know either!
Also, Arkansas. I thought it was like Kansas with ar in front, turns out it's ar-kan-saw.

Sadly I knew this from 'Smokey and the Bandit' :colondollar: :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending