The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
Niamh :emo: and no one I asked seemed to know either!
Also, Arkansas. I thought it was like Kansas with ar in front, turns out it's ar-kan-saw.

It's pronounced Arkansaw...? Ooops :redface:
Reply 381
I went to school with someone called Chevron...who pronounced it the same way you'd pronounce Siobhan :colonhash:
Going through this thread, the number of times "Siobhan" has come up is astounding :tongue:
Reply 383
I once called my friend Tom instead of Dom for about two days. I think that's excusable
Chicago "Illinois",
"Tucson"
And i thought Perez Hilton was a girl until that advert on itv2
Reply 385
I sometimes struggle to pronounce Thilan Samaraweera, he's a Sri Lankan cricketer!
Reply 386
Original post by Smoosh
I went to school with someone called Chevron...who pronounced it the same way you'd pronounce Siobhan :colonhash:

Reply 387
Original post by Nine6
Isn't it how it supposed to be pronounced?!
... Damn :frown:

Haven't you watched American Dad :eek:
Not a PERSON'S name, but...

PRIMARK.

"It's Preeemark."
"It's Pryemark."
"PREEMARK!"
"PRYMARK!"

(continue to infinity)
Original post by salad_fingers
David Bowie

Well, the Bowie part anyway, pretty sure I'm okay with David.

Is it "bow" as in a knot or "bow" as in the front end of a ship? I could never figure it out.
Original post by Smoosh

Well that makes more sense than Siobhan does.
Reply 391
Original post by Rascacielos
Well that makes more sense than Siobhan does.

How does it? Many members in the thread have already explained why Siobhán is pronounced as it is, most people are just more used to English pronunciation as opposed to Irish, which is why it seems strange. The "s" at the beginning is slender (slender consonants are ones with "i" or "e" written next to them, broad consonants have "a", "e", "o" or "u" next to them), slender "s" makes a "shh" sound. When there are two short vowels next to each other, one of them becomes the "glide" vowel, so one of the vowels is favoured in the pronunciation, in the case of "io", the o becomes the glide vowel, leaving the "i" to dominate, but it's a soft "i" (like in "miss"). The "á" means it is a long vowel, making the "awe" sound. The "bh" makes a "v" sound. Ergo, the name is pronounced shh-ih-v-awn.
Original post by Rascacielos
Is it "bow" as in a knot or "bow" as in the front end of a ship? I could never figure it out.

as in a knot I think
Don Revie

Still ain't got a clue
Original post by Smoosh
How does it? Many members in the thread have already explained why Siobhán is pronounced as it is, most people are just more used to English pronunciation as opposed to Irish, which is why it seems strange. The "s" at the beginning is slender (slender consonants are ones with "i" or "e" written next to them, broad consonants have "a", "e", "o" or "u" next to them), slender "s" makes a "shh" sound. When there are two short vowels next to each other, one of them becomes the "glide" vowel, so one of the vowels is favoured in the pronunciation, in the case of "io", the o becomes the glide vowel, leaving the "i" to dominate, but it's a soft "i" (like in "miss"). The "á" means it is a long vowel, making the "awe" sound. The "bh" makes a "v" sound. Ergo, the name is pronounced shh-ih-v-awn.

To me it makes more sense, because I'm not Irish. How much a word "makes sense" when it's read is relative to the person reading it. Presumably all words that sound completely different to how you would expect them to sound, given the way they are written, would make sense to the group from which that particular word originates.
One of my teachers was called 'Ailbhe' which, for 2 years, we thought was pronounced 'Ayl-bee'. Turns out it's actually 'Alv-yeh' or 'Alvia'.

My ex's little sister is called 'Saoirse' [Seer-shuh], which causes a problem for a lot of people!

I also went to school with a girl called 'Reaigeun', which is pronounced 'Ray-gun'.

Not really related but, as I live in Wales, there are a lot of girls called 'Sara' [Saa-raa] but it can also we pronounced in the same way as 'Sarah'...which gets confusing! To add to this, I know 2 girls called 'Sarah' but pronounce it 'Saa-raa'. Now, whenever I see Sara/Sarah written down, I always ask how it's pronounced, which often makes me look like an idiot :redface:
Siobhan :|
Reply 397
Completely agree with the Hermione one! Also Harry Potter related:
Draco Malfoy was not Dray-co but Drah-co (:redface:)
Bathilda Bagshot- no 'th' just Ba-til-da
I once pronounced Marchesa (the clothes designer) as MARCH-essa instead of Mar-kay-sa, to Marigay Mckee (the head fashion buyer for Harrods, I worked there at the time, she's this fashionista/big shot in fashion land)........I thought the evils she gave me would literally melt the skin (ok lies, MAKEUP :colone: ) off of my face.
Irish names make no sense because they're not supposed to make sense in English. They are not IN English, and have a totally different structure phonetically than English. One handy thing to remember is that there is no 'v' in Irish, 'mh' and 'bh' make that sound instead- as witnessed in several popular names. Lots of other complicated stuff, such as the adding of accents that I won't go into.

Niamh- Neev
Siobhán- Shu-vawn
Caoimhe- Kwee-vah. It is pronounced kee-vah in one part of Ireland, but generally it is kwee-vah
Muireann- mwir-in
Mairéad- murr-aid
Sinéad- shin-aid
Caitríona- cah-treena
Aoibheann- ee-veen
Ailish- exactly as seen!
Eilis- eye-lish
Aisling- ash-ling
Ailbhe- al-vah
Deirdre- deer-drah
Áine- awn-yah
Aoife- ee-fah
Blathnaid- bloh-nid
Béibhinn- bay-vin
Caoilfhionn- keelin
Séamus- shay-mus
Séan- shaun
Diarmuid- deer-mud
Eithne- eth-nah
Sadhbh- rhymes with I've
Maeve- rhymes with wave
Dónal- doh-nul
Saoirse- seer-sha. This one is known as a 'rebel' name, very popular circa 100 years ago- it means freedom

I can't think of anymore popular-ish ones.

Personally have no trouble with Irish names. Welsh ones I find a bit confusing, also Hermione and Sarah..I always pronounced it seer-ah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending