The Student Room Group

Primary Education 2012 Scotland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Has anyone heard from Aberdeen or Stirling yet?
Reply 41
Original post by et_29
Just Dundee! Where all did you apply to? Good luck on your interview!!
Hmm, morality in the modern world? Belief and science? and Buddhism... Is that what you mean?! What're you doing? x

Yeah :P I love it, deffo my favorite subject!
Original post by evie1234
Has anyone heard from Aberdeen or Stirling yet?

I'm not sure whether this matters with applications, but I'm still on my Christmas holiday from Aberdeen at the moment, so that might be why they haven't got back to people yet - we go back pretty late compared to some other universities apparently, term starts back on the 30th of January :smile:

And someone I know who is at Stirling isn't back there yet either, so that could be the reason for people not hearing :smile:

Just a thought :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by lisaclaire
I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Dundee and West of Scotland. I got a letter today from Strathclyde inviting me to an interview on February 10th. It's pretty safe to say I am absolutely terrified.

A few girls in my year have applied for the same courses and already have one or two unconditionals. :frown:

Where have they had unconditionals from!!? What grades did they get last year? xx
Reply 44
Hello, I've applied for Dundee, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I havn't heard anything yet but my application was only sent away from school 3 days ago. What highers does everyone have? and experience?
Thanks
Reply 45
Original post by K.AND
Hello, I've applied for Dundee, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I havn't heard anything yet but my application was only sent away from school 3 days ago. What highers does everyone have? and experience?
Thanks

I'm in 5th year but predicted AAABB in English, Maths, RMPS, French and physics respectively.

I've got 2 weeks in a primary school, every monday afternoon since august in a local RC primary, once a week volounteering at a deaf school and I've got a paid job at a local after school care club :smile: wbu?
Reply 46
Hi to everyone applying this year- Good Luck>

I just want to give you all a heads up that all the courses are different in the way they are run with regard to placement timing, courses studied etc. If oy have nore than pne offer please look at the course structure of each before deciding, don't just choose because you want to live in that city od liked the flats.

For example, in Aberdeen you do no long placements until 3rd year, you only go a day a week for a block before that. In Edinburgh you have placements from year 1 and will experience a wide range of stages over the four years. Strathclyde will be different again.

Good Luck:smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Grant2007
Hi to everyone applying this year- Good Luck>

I just want to give you all a heads up that all the courses are different in the way they are run with regard to placement timing, courses studied etc. If oy have nore than pne offer please look at the course structure of each before deciding, don't just choose because you want to live in that city od liked the flats.

For example, in Aberdeen you do no long placements until 3rd year, you only go a day a week for a block before that. In Edinburgh you have placements from year 1 and will experience a wide range of stages over the four years. Strathclyde will be different again.

Good Luck:smile:

Quick question - what's it like being a guy in a very woman dominated course? :P

For example, in Aberdeen you do no long placements until 3rd year, you only go a day a week for a block before that.

That's not true, you don't get long placements however you do more than a day a week for a block.

In first year, you go in your second semester for a day a week for 7 weeks to a school with a partner.

In second year however, you go on placement twice. You have 8 weeks of placement which is one day a week, and then you go for a full week afterwards to the same school.

So in Aberdeen, before 3rd year, you essentially have 3 experiences of being on placement before you reach your big placement block :smile:

Just thought I'd clear that up...
Reply 49
Am not a guy!!

I am not saying don't go to Abedeen but saying that all the courses are different and choose what suits you! Everybody has a different learning style. Jordanhill used to be very 9am-5pm 4.5 days per week in uni (don't know if it still is?), Edinburgh was more like uni courses encouraging independent research etc. Aberdeen seems to be more learning and less practical in 1/2 year.

Things have changed in Aberdeen then so that's good - however a week is not really very long or productive if you wish to teach a lesson, receive feedback and then teach ia similar lesson again before you do a placement in 3rd year where you teach the class for sole responsibility!
Most teaching students do more placement than 8 days while at school in 6th year! And if that day you happen to be in a class is Friday you will see a lot of Assemblies and Golden time plus the same lessons each week in first year as teachers tend to stick to the same subjects on a particular day.

Just helping people to make informed decisions. It is important you select with knowledge and understanding as we all need to choose what suits ourselves!
Grant2007
Reply 50
Am not a guy!!

I am not saying don't go to Abedeen but saying that all the courses are different and choose what suits you! Everybody has a different learning style. Jordanhill used to be very 9am-5pm 4.5 days per week in uni (don't know if it still is?), Edinburgh was more like uni courses encouraging independent research etc. Aberdeen seems to be more learning and less practical in 1/2 year.

Things have changed in Aberdeen then so that's good - however a week is not really very long or productive if you wish to teach a lesson, receive feedback and then teach ia similar lesson again before you do a placement in 3rd year where you teach the class for sole responsibility!
Most teaching students do more placement than 8 days while at school in 6th year! And if that day you happen to be in a class is Friday you will see a lot of Assemblies and Golden time plus the same lessons each week in first year as teachers tend to stick to the same subjects on a particular day.

Just helping people to make informed decisions. It is important you select with knowledge and understanding as we all need to choose what suits ourselves!
Grant2007

Oops! Sorry! Just saw Grant in your username and assumed :P Well how many guys are on your course?
Am not a guy!!

Grant2007

I know, I'm just saying that it's not just the 1 set of one day a week block as you said it was. We were told that the reason they don't do placement as much in 1st/2nd year is because at the very beginning of the course you haven't been taught the skills you need to be a teacher yet - you don't go into university as a teacher, regardless of whether you've had more than 8 days of experience in your 6th year or not. And so, you go into schools for shorter times in 1st and 2nd year and take out a more observational role, rather than being expected to lead the class when you may not be ready to. At that time, you learn about learning theory so that you can understand how people learn so that you can better understand how to teach when you do come to do so.

The day you usually go into schools is a Tuesday in your first year, and this is probably for precisely the reason you just described - so that you don't just observe assemblies and golden time.
I'm currently a first year student at Aberdeen University. The BEd course is brilliant. In first year you study 2 compulsory courses - Learning How To Learn & What Makes Us Human 1A in semester 1 (Sept-Dec) and 2 compulsory courses in semester 2 - Learning How Others Learn & What Makes US Human 1B (Jan-May). You also pick two electives from Enhanced Study, Disciplinary and six century courses - you do an elective in each semester for 1st and 2nd year. Placement is in February for 7 serial weeks. Aberdeen uni provides the best practice for teaching. The reason for placements not being in blocks is to provide students with the theory before attempting to teaching. It's to help students not to fail. I like it this way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by DavidDoubleyoo2K11
I'm currently a first year student at Aberdeen University. The BEd course is brilliant. In first year you study 2 compulsory courses - Learning How To Learn & What Makes Us Human 1A in semester 1 (Sept-Dec) and 2 compulsory courses in semester 2 - Learning How Others Learn & What Makes US Human 1B (Jan-May). You also pick two electives from Enhanced Study, Disciplinary and six century courses - you do an elective in each semester for 1st and 2nd year. Placement is in February for 7 serial weeks. Aberdeen uni provides the best practice for teaching. The reason for placements not being in blocks is to provide students with the theory before attempting to teaching. It's to help students not to fail. I like it this way.

As I said- look at all the course and select one suitable for you. I am glad you are enjoying Aberdeen and I value your opinion, however that would not have worked for me.
Reply 54
Original post by aroy45
Oops! Sorry! Just saw Grant in your username and assumed :P Well how many guys are on your course?

Not that many, but they fit in well and seem to get on fine. There are more guys on the PE course and we have some lectures with them.
Reply 55
Original post by DavidDoubleyoo2K11

Hello, What highers did you have to get into Aberdeen and what experience? I have applied there and hope to get in! Thanks
Original post by K.AND
Hello, What highers did you have to get into Aberdeen and what experience? I have applied there and hope to get in! Thanks

When I got an unconditional to Aberdeen last year, I had 3As, a B and a C at Higher (one A was English and I also needed Credit maths)

By way of experience, I had done volunteer work with an autistic playscheme during my Easter holidays, spent one afternoon a week assisting in two P1 PE classes in a local school in which I led small groups of children. I had also worked in the Additional Support Needs department in school and helped in a S1 maths set where a lot of the students had additional support needs and needed 1-on-1 support a great deal of the time. I had a week of experience in a primary school mainly working with 2 children who had various learning difficulties, and then went back to the same school a couple of years later and helped in the nursery 2 afternoons a week. I had also spent a week assisting my fencing coach with a week of taster sessions in a school.

I did most of my experience in my 6th year though, because I was told I did not have nearly enough to get into teaching, and there were people who didn't think universities would even consider my application with the experience I have.
Reply 57
Got Dundee interview! :biggrin:
Reply 58
Got a Strathclyde one too!:biggrin:
Reply 59
wow lucky you!!! two in the space of about 24 hours!!! :smile: congrats x

Quick Reply

Latest