The Student Room Group

Would this annoy you, relatives comming round with colds/flu?

Ok I have a problem which doesnt sound like a big deal to most but affects me badly. I have chronic inflammation of the nasal passages and nasal polyps (not as disgusting as it sounds its just your own nasal passages that become swollen) which require me to use a steroid spray every day. The spray doesnt help that much but slows the growth of the polyps then when it gets to the point where i cant breath through my nose proper i use steroid drops for a few weeks which really help (but cant use them too long due to side effects), then i go back to the spray.

Im always going through loads of tissues and sometimes I'l be in a lecture and my nose makes a noise when i swallow, i have to pinch my nostrils when swallowing sometimes its really embarrasing im sick of it. Theres no point having surgery because polyps are reccurant in most people they grow back plus id still be on the steroids for the inflammation which causes them in the first place. Its supposed to be an harmless condition but it really hinders the quality of my life.
One thing that makes it worse for weeks and weeks is getting colds.

Anyway enough self pity (:rolleyes:), basically what really annoys me is when relatives (who usually visit + times a week they are close family) come round when they are full of a cold. They laugh and say that Im OCD expecially my aunt. She came round once and said she wasnt too bad then my mum asked her if she wanted a walk to their mums (my grandma's) and she was like 'Im not going near her with this cold'. I know they have weaker immune systems but its annoying that she doesnt think twice about comming near me with it.

Would you be annoyed too or would you be understanding about people comming round with colds and see it as 'just life'?
Sounds like they're underestimating the state of your condition. :/ A cold is a cold for most people, they need to know that it's a lot more serious for you and to be a bit more considerate.
Reply 2
Yes I'd be annoyed because it's selfish. I always say to people when they have colds "I'd prefer not to share your germs, thank you very much" or something along those lines. And when I have a cold myself, I make a point of not going too close to others or shaking their hand, and say "I've got the lergy, don't want you to catch it".

No-one likes to be ill!

Maybe when your aunt says that you're OCD, tell her you have a challenge for her and pull out a saline nasal spray/drops.... tell her she has to use them for a month and see how she feels! Chances are she won't because it won't be pleasant.... so say "so can you have some consideration for me who needs to use these and stop spreading your germs?". Sounds like she needs to be put in her place!!! :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Foo.mp3
I have chronic health probs (immune system seems to go on strike for much of the year) so yes, it annoys me when people with viral symptoms don't take great care around me knowing that my short term well being, and longer term health / success at uni rests on a knife-edge :rolleyes:

I never go near my ailing grandmothers when I have such symptoms, it's called being considerate of others - it's not wrong to hold others to the same standard and if your aunt gave me that attitude I would hit the ****ing wall!

You say you would hit the wall but how would you deal with it/what would you say? Its just Ive tried talking and they just say something like 'why should everything revolve around you' or expect me to go out. If I keep going on about it my dad would say something like 'shut up you daft b****'. Then I'l get wound up and start shouting/threatening. How would you deal with it without appearing like a kid having a tantrum? I even threatened that if i caught it id go straight round to my nans lol (i wouldnt) which resulted in my mum calling me twisted and the like. I dont now what the mature way of dealing with it is without looking like im a control freak.
Reply 4
This would really annoy me. It's bad enough as a reasonably healthy person that someone will come near me with a cold.

I think you need to make it clear that it's not OCD and that it is a genuine (not saying OCD isn't genuine - sounds like they're saying it's not) medical condition you have.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
You say you would hit the wall but how would you deal with it/what would you say? Its just Ive tried talking and they just say something like 'why should everything revolve around you' or expect me to go out. If I keep going on about it my dad would say something like 'shut up you daft b****'. Then I'l get wound up and start shouting/threatening. How would you deal with it without appearing like a kid having a tantrum? I even threatened that if i caught it id go straight round to my nans lol (i wouldnt) which resulted in my mum calling me twisted and the like. I dont now what the mature way of dealing with it is without looking like im a control freak.

I don't really know what to advise now you've said this OP, it sounds a rubbish situation :frown: No wonder you're upset x
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
This would really annoy me. It's bad enough as a reasonably healthy person that someone will come near me with a cold.

I think you need to make it clear that it's not OCD and that it is a genuine (not saying OCD isn't genuine - sounds like they're saying it's not) medical condition you have.

Im healthy its not that catching a cold makes me sicker (in fact i tend to get rid of them quicker than others) its just that nasal polyps and inflammation is so irritating to put up with and colds make it a lot worse. It doesnt help that before i got the nose problem I was avoiding colds and still had the same attitude to people comming round when infected so they just assume its what im like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending