The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bax-man
How can one find out if it has been challenged in Congregation?

Normally from the following week's Gazette but there is no Gazette until September.
Reply 1781
Original post by ben-smith
I quite like the coffee at taylor's plus you get a free cookie :biggrin:

:lolwut:

'free' and 'cookie' in the same sentence?

jackpot :sexface:
can anyone give me a sample timetable for a first year medic?
Reply 1783
Will I need buy a tuxedo or would a black suit be better? (I am going to have to buy one of them, as I currently only have a light gray suit)
Reply 1784
Original post by Dnibara
Will I need buy a tuxedo or would a black suit be better? (I am going to have to buy one of them, as I currently only have a light gray suit)

You won't need one, but you'll probably have lots of opportunities to wear black tie, and dressing up is fun. Purists will moan, but if you can only buy one of the two you'll still be fine wearing a dinner suit as subfusc, or conversely a lounge suit to black tie events.
Reply 1785
Original post by Dnibara

If your grey suit formal enough to go to job interviews and such in? If yes then I would get a dinner suit (nobody is going to be looking that closely at your sub fusc); if not then I would get a black lounge suit (just in case you want to intern or something and need interviews).
Original post by plinkplonk
can anyone give me a sample timetable for a first year medic?

like 12 lectures a week (9am onwards), 2-3 practicals lasting 3 hours or so, 2-5 tutorials (commonly 2-3) depending on college, generally in the afternoon or early evening for which you'll have preparation that may or may not include an essay. Probably take about 5 hours for some decent preparation, but some do less some do much more.
Reply 1787
Original post by dbmag9
You won't need one, but you'll probably have lots of opportunities to wear black tie, and dressing up is fun. Purists will moan, but if you can only buy one of the two you'll still be fine wearing a dinner suit as subfusc, or conversely a lounge suit to black tie events.

Original post by Fallen
If your grey suit formal enough to go to job interviews and such in? If yes then I would get a dinner suit (nobody is going to be looking that closely at your sub fusc); if not then I would get a black lounge suit (just in case you want to intern or something and need interviews).

My gray suit is quite formal, so I think I will get the dress suit. Thanks!
Original post by Dnibara
My gray suit is quite formal, so I think I will get the dress suit. Thanks!

This is all quite exciting :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What sort of formal clothing would freshers need in first term - I'm thinking in terms of ball gowns / formal dresses or outfits and 'fancy dress' for possible parties and things?
Is a dark coloured ladies business suit suitable to wear under the gown?
Original post by nexttime
like 12 lectures a week (9am onwards), 2-3 practicals lasting 3 hours or so, 2-5 tutorials (commonly 2-3) depending on college, generally in the afternoon or early evening for which you'll have preparation that may or may not include an essay. Probably take about 5 hours for some decent preparation, but some do less some do much more.

is the timing for these set, i imagine lectures would be but for lab work and tutorials is there more flexibility with their timing.

Also am i correct in thinking that lectures would be focussed in the morning, i.e. over by about 1 and that the practicals and tutorials are in the afternoon. Cheers.
Original post by plinkplonk
is the timing for these set, i imagine lectures would be but for lab work and tutorials is there more flexibility with their timing.

Not really. Labs are practicals run by demonstrators who watch you do the work in groups, not 'lab work' like other scientists might have. So they're just as rigid. Included in this would be dissection room.

The only possibility would be to swap lab groups, but this can be an administrative hassle. Swapping tute groups is far easier, if there are two or more groups, but again, limited choice if any. Persuading a tutor to change tute times can be done but depending on who it is, with difficulty.

Also am i correct in thinking that lectures would be focussed in the morning, i.e. over by about 1 and that the practicals and tutorials are in the afternoon. Cheers.

That would be generally correct. Lectures would be typically at 9, 10, 11:30 then maybe at 1 or 1:30 if its a lecture-heavy day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1792
Hey guys, this is a question about bursaries/grants. Is it really just a case of sometimes just applying and seeing what happens if you are eligible? See below for the bursaries I'm able to apply for. It says you can apply for money to pay fees, maintenance etc and by looking at past/present students, many undergraduates have been granted them. Of course as an undergraduate it's not like I'll be asking for funding for research or proposing a paper, so I'm a bit lost as what I'm supposed to show for it, can someone just fill me in how bursary ettiquitte works in Oxford? Say you work hard and get a distinction in your first year exams and/ or make a good argument to how you'll use the money and how it will help you, is that the thing they're after at undergraduate stage for you to be likely to get a bursary of this sort? Hope I made some sort of sense!

http://www.ochs.org.uk/bursaries-fellowships
Original post by Frey
Hey guys, this is a question about bursaries/grants. Is it really just a case of sometimes just applying and seeing what happens if you are eligible? See below for the bursaries I'm able to apply for. It says you can apply for money to pay fees, maintenance etc and by looking at past/present students, many undergraduates have been granted them. Of course as an undergraduate it's not like I'll be asking for funding for research or proposing a paper, so I'm a bit lost as what I'm supposed to show for it, can someone just fill me in how bursary ettiquitte works in Oxford? Say you work hard and get a distinction in your first year exams and/ or make a good argument to how you'll use the money and how it will help you, is that the thing they're after at undergraduate stage for you to be likely to get a bursary of this sort? Hope I made some sort of sense!

There's something called the Oxford Opportunity Bursary which gets given to you automatically if your household income is below a certain level, £50,000 I think, which in my college's case also comes with an alumni 'sponsor' assigned for you to network with; all you need to do for that is allow them to see your income levels on the UCAS form. I think, but I'm not sure, that it's been extended to cover the rise in fees for people with income under £16,000 now. Other monetary awards you do need to actively apply for and there should be instructions as to who's elegible and what you need to do for them, e.g. my college gives a grant to those planning to travel in extreme climates. So in those cases you just have to explain what you'll do with the money when you apply. People who get distinctions in 1st year also tend to get scholarship money from their college automatically - again, in my case it was £200 and £45 book vouchers. So yeah, there's plenty of stuff available, as long as you follow the instructions for each application you should be fine. Does that help?
How much time do practicals/tutorials take up for chemistry students?
Original post by Mulligan
What sort of formal clothing would freshers need in first term - I'm thinking in terms of ball gowns / formal dresses or outfits and 'fancy dress' for possible parties and things?
Is a dark coloured ladies business suit suitable to wear under the gown?

You don't really need a suit for under the gown - just a smart black skirt/trousers. Girls don't traditionally wear a jacket for sub fusc. Obviously having a formal suit can be useful for interviews. So buying a full suit but only wearing the bottom half could be a good idea. Do think of comfort when buying - a tight skirt may look nice, but could be uncomfortable in a 3 hour exam!

It's highly unlikely you'll need a ball gown in the first term. It's not a popular term for balls. I'd definitely take some outfits to wear to black tie events - they do occur more frequently. So a couple of nice dresses would be a good thing to have in your wardrobe.

In terms of fancy dress - you will need it, but we can't really advise what outfits yet! It varies by college. You may be told the freshers week themes before coming up - but dont worry too much about it because the mad dash to Primark is a great way to bond with people! You'll soon decide if you're a dresser-upper, a sometimes dressed-up, or someone who goes all out for any theme. I'm firmly in the latter camp!
Reply 1796
Original post by such_a_lady
This is all quite exciting :biggrin:

I like shopping and I like Oxford. This is making me very very excited
Reply 1797
Original post by Incarnadine91
There's something called the Oxford Opportunity Bursary which gets given to you automatically if your household income is below a certain level, £50,000 I think, which in my college's case also comes with an alumni 'sponsor' assigned for you to network with; all you need to do for that is allow them to see your income levels on the UCAS form. I think, but I'm not sure, that it's been extended to cover the rise in fees for people with income under £16,000 now. Other monetary awards you do need to actively apply for and there should be instructions as to who's elegible and what you need to do for them, e.g. my college gives a grant to those planning to travel in extreme climates. So in those cases you just have to explain what you'll do with the money when you apply. People who get distinctions in 1st year also tend to get scholarship money from their college automatically - again, in my case it was £200 and £45 book vouchers. So yeah, there's plenty of stuff available, as long as you follow the instructions for each application you should be fine. Does that help?

yes, but with the bursaries on the link I provided, it does really just seem like you apply and that's it? Is it that easy??? :confused: It's weird because these are provided by an independent centre, so I don't think they give you the prize/bursary for doing well in an exam on your course. Basically if you are studying Hinduism in some way at Oxford you are eligible to be a 'student'/member of this centre. It just seems as if being a member in this case is enough? Check this link and see what you think.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fallen

wearing black suits to job interviews is generally a bad idea. grey or dark blue is recommended by most advisers
Original post by MrCarmady
wearing black suits to job interviews is generally a bad idea. grey or dark blue is recommended by most advisers

Why is this? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending