The Student Room Group

What university to go to with a high IQ?

Scroll to see replies

Picnic1?
f**king lol @ the amount of negs the OP got.
Original post by None
Hi all-

With an above average IQ I've been always in problems with regards to University education. Therefore, I am looking for a Master's / PhD university in the UK that combines the factors of rustic (e.g. nice grounds, green, no city hussle) with a key-library and more smaller facilities.

My grades are not enough for Oxford and Cambridge and London (e.g. UCL) wouldn't suit me due to the environment. I am thinking of applying to St. Andrews or Edinburgh. Any thoughts what is recommended?

Your IQ has nothing to do with it. What subject are you wanting to do a masters/phd in??
Original post by None
Hi all-

With an above average IQ I've been always in problems with regards to University education. Therefore, I am looking for a Master's / PhD university in the UK that combines the factors of rustic (e.g. nice grounds, green, no city hussle) with a key-library and more smaller facilities.

My grades are not enough for Oxford and Cambridge and London (e.g. UCL) wouldn't suit me due to the environment. I am thinking of applying to St. Andrews or Edinburgh. Any thoughts what is recommended?

I 'thumbed-up' because I feel like I'm in a rebellious mood. It would funny if the 'above IQ' was only by one point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
I was going to suggest Oxford or Cambridge but apparently this genius doesn't have the grades.
Reply 26
Original post by None
Hi all-

Funny, did you know that average postgrad applicant has IQ in the top 3% of the population?
Combined GRE score of 1240 (say, 600 verbal 640 quantitative) is equivalent to IQ 130.19, or 97.792%
Source:
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx
Most good schools will not even look at you with GRE lower than that (mine is higher, for example)
How high is yours?
Dont waste your above average IQ in university, just tour the country patronising people of lesser intelligence
Reply 28
A high IQ, but not high enough to realise that it actually means nothing outside of the testing facility or the web page you sat biting your lip in front of for 20 minutes. Whoop de do, go and join Mensa and gloat with the other Rubiks cube champions.
Reply 29
Tbh, as so many here have said, it's obviously the grades that count and no one gives a rat's bumhole about IQ. I remember getting an extremely high IQ in a test when I was a child (I was a bit of a recluse :P) considering I basically managed to revise for a test which is suppose to test inherent intelligence I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth much. Turns out most institutions after primary school felt the same...

Don't ever think that a score, degree, or any other arbitrary achievement means anything really. University's want you to jump through all the hoops they require for a minimum standard, they look at references and personal statements to make the real decisions. If I were you I'd put that high IQ to good use and start working on a great personal statement/research proposal to match that killer IQ of your's.
Original post by plimsolls
A high IQ, but not high enough to realise that it actually means nothing outside of the testing facility or the web page you sat biting your lip in front of for 20 minutes. Whoop de do, go and join Mensa and gloat with the other Rubiks cube champions.

Lol. Actually, there's now an algorithm for solving rubik's cube efficiently.

http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

Now everyone and their pet ferret can pretend to have a high IQ. I laugh at IQ tests. Hopefully human beings will evolve a more accurate measure of intelligence.

OP, tsk tsk. Perhaps English is not your first language, for which reason I'll excuse the poor grammar. However, I think you'll find that you'll gain very few friends in any sphere of life by prefacing statements with disclaimers of your superior IQ. Postgraduate studies is serious work and it bodes well for anyone considering it to look into universities' research facitilites, prominence, supervisory specialties, competence etc... A high IQ is the least of the factors you should be using to narrow your choices.
Reply 31
Original post by X_mark_the_spot
Lol. Actually, there's now an algorithm for solving rubik's cube efficiently.

http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

Now everyone and their pet ferret can pretend to have a high IQ. I laugh at IQ tests. Hopefully human beings will evolve a more accurate measure of intelligence.

OP, tsk tsk. Perhaps English is not your first language, for which reason I'll excuse the poor grammar. However, I think you'll find that you'll gain very few friends in any sphere of life by prefacing statements with disclaimers of your superior IQ. Postgraduate studies is serious work and it bodes well for anyone considering it to look into universities' research facitilites, prominence, supervisory specialties, competence etc... A high IQ is the least of the factors you should be using to narrow your choices.

I know, i've watched my brother solve a rubiks cube many times in under a minute, after he found the algorithm. He's no genius. I was just trying to build a picture of a bunch of Mensa saddos doing their pointless, natty little geek activities.
Reply 32
Original post by None
Hi all-

If your IQ was high enough, you'd know this.

/threadfail
Reply 33
Original post by iamsupreme
If your IQ was high enough, you'd know this.

/threadfail

LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending