The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smason5
Is there a medical compartment for medical student lectures. When i went on the shadowing scheme, the lecture was in a chemistry department and i know at o*****d there is one department just for medicine.
Thanks

Yes and no. There is the clinical school, which is at Addenbrooke's, where 4th-6th years have most of their lectures/seminars.

However, pre-clinical (1st-3rd years) students hardly ever go there - once a term for "applied anatomy" at most. Your 1st/2nd year lectures and practicals are based on the New Museums Site and Downing Site, plus the Lensfield Road lecture theatre in 2nd year. Supervisions are generally in college. In your 3rd year your lectures etc will all be within your department; most of the bionatsci (which most people end up doing) departments, which are mostly on/around the sites I've already mentioned. I hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any more questions.
Reply 1381
Original post by Helenia
Yes and no. There is the clinical school, which is at Addenbrooke's, where 4th-6th years have most of their lectures/seminars.

However, pre-clinical (1st-3rd years) students hardly ever go there - once a term for "applied anatomy" at most. Your 1st/2nd year lectures and practicals are based on the New Museums Site and Downing Site, plus the Lensfield Road lecture theatre in 2nd year. Supervisions are generally in college. In your 3rd year your lectures etc will all be within your department; most of the bionatsci (which most people end up doing) departments, which are mostly on/around the sites I've already mentioned. I hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any more questions.

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you.

Do lectures start straight away when you begin in october or do you have a week to adjust( in sense of just going to lectures but not really given the massive worload as yet. I understand there is going to be a lot.). If not can you move in earlier. I'm slightly worried not currently doing any essay-based subjects that i will struggle with essays for medicine. I heard you get at least one once a week. Do you get example essays or given a tutorial of how to write them or do you just get given one to do. I know this may sound stupid but i'm just not sure what to exepect hence how long is an average essay. Also what does fresher week encounter. Sorry for the long and possibly stupid question.

Thanks
Reply 1382
Does anyone know if accommodation is being organised already? I've seen a couple of people mentioning it, but as I haven't firmed them yet, does this mean I could be at a disadvantage if I wait longer? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Smason5
Yes, that makes sense. Thank you.

Do lectures start straight away when you begin in october or do you have a week to adjust( in sense of just going to lectures but not really given the massive worload as yet. I understand there is going to be a lot.). If not can you move in earlier. I'm slightly worried not currently doing any essay-based subjects that i will struggle with essays for medicine. I heard you get at least one once a week. Do you get example essays or given a tutorial of how to write them or do you just get given one to do. I know this may sound stupid but i'm just not sure what to exepect hence how long is an average essay. Also what does fresher week encounter. Sorry for the long and possibly stupid question.

Thanks

Usually, you will move in on a Saturday/Sunday, and lectures will start on Thursday. You may have some kind of introductory session(s) with your supervisor/Director of Studies before lectures start, and some unlucky sods are set work, but I wasn't. Unless you are an international student, you can't usually move in much earlier than that set weekend - though some subjects e.g. Maths, Classics, do come up a week earlier for some kind of intro course.

Don't worry too much about the essays. You are usually set one per supervision per week so usually 3 a week in first year. There's not much initial guidance, but part of the point of supervisions is to go through your essays and discuss how to improve them. Medicine essays are usually pretty factual rather than opinion/argument-based, e.g. "Give an account of the layout of the autonomic nervous system" or "Allostery and its biological significance," so you don't need to worry about style too much, even if you haven't done any essay-based A-levels. Also, although essays are given grades, these don't count towards anything, so you don't need to worry if it takes you a while to get to grips with writing them.

As for Freshers' Week, it's only really 5 days as lectures start on the Thursday, but in general most of it is organised in college. There's usually some kind of "family night" where you will meet your college family and often your "parents" will cook for you, at least one "bop," usually fancy dress, and Matriculation dinner, which is a formal meal in Hall. During the day, there'll be all sorts of admin stuff to do, like getting library and IT registrations sorted out, meeting the JCR committee, signing up for practicals (may not be relevant for medics, not sure how they organise it at the moment), meeting supervisors etc. There's also the Freshers' Fair; your college may have one of its own for college societies, but the main university one is at Parker's Piece leisure centre. It's pretty busy but usually good fun, though be prepared to have the same "What's your name, where are you from, what subject are you doing?" conversation about 500 times and never remember any of the answers...
How much do you spend on living costs (including accommodation) annually? The website says:

We've estimated that you should allow approximately £7,500 a year for living costs (though this will vary depending on your lifestyle).

Is that a true reflection of how much you spend?
Original post by XxelliexX
How much do you spend on living costs (including accommodation) annually? The website says:

Is that a true reflection of how much you spend?

This depends to such a large extent on you that it's probably not worth you asking anyone. First, rent can vary from about £70 p/w in cheap rooms at some colleges to around £150 p/w (which I think is the rate charged at newnham for all rooms). Second, what you spend on food can vary wildly. I've seen some people post on here that they spend only £20 or £30 per week on food. I probably spend rather more than £50 p/w, primarily because I can never be arsed to cook for myself. Then there's what you spend on nights out. The variables here are quite obvious. I often spend like £30 on a proper night out, but probably only go on two per week, possibly visiting the bar other nights or just going to formal and staying in college; some people I know go out like 5 times a week (but mostly spend less). As I say, the variables are obvious. Obviously what you do society-wise will make a difference to your budget too, as well as how many books you need to buy, how much stash you want, etc etc.

To conclude, I have no idea what I spend p/a, but if I did it wouldn't help you in any way guess what you're going to spend, and it's probable that unless you find someone who lives in exactly the same way as you do (which is hard to tell before you get to uni) no-one else's spending habits will help you, either.
Are there any drum n bass nights in Cambridge? This obviously isn't essential, but it would be a welcome bonus :smile:
Original post by muse_of_fire
Are there any drum n bass nights in Cambridge? This obviously isn't essential, but it would be a welcome bonus :smile:

Yes there are. If you keep an ear out there are always a handful of drum and bass nights each term. Keep an eye on fez and Emma Ents. Clare Cellars sometimes do them as well
Reply 1388
Original post by muse_of_fire

xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1389
Are Pendulum drum and bass? :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Are Pendulum drum and bass? :tongue:

No mate, pendulum are BritPop.
Reply 1391
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No mate, pendulum are BritPop.

Oh... their Wikipedia article needs changing then :redface:
that was a stupid question, and yes, I am joking here.
Reply 1392
Is Emmanuel really the 'party college'?
Original post by wibletg
Oh... their Wikipedia article needs changing then :redface:
that was a stupid question, and yes, I am joking here.

I've been saying that for ages, no-one seems to have got round to it yet. :s
Original post by s.a.u
Is Emmanuel really the 'party college'?

Probably not, since back in my day the rumour was that it was Queens' (since they're on the Backs)! :wink:
Original post by BiscuitGirl
Thank you! UCPO sounds lovely, pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. And they bill themselves as 'The orchestra that likes to rehearse in the bar', so yeah. :smile:

Not meaning to make you feel bleak but my experience of UCPO is that the standard is still very high, though I'm sure they could find some music for you. I do think the musical level in Cambridge is too high, with all the prodigies around etc. But I'm sure you'll love UCPO :smile:
Reply 1396
gcses: A*AAAAABCCG
as bio chem maths eng lit. if i work extremely hard and get 90 plus ums. do i have a chance?
for nat sci bio by the way
Reply 1397
Original post by delzz
gcses: A*AAAAABCCG
as bio chem maths eng lit. if i work extremely hard and get 90 plus ums. do i have a chance?
for nat sci bio by the way

I don't know what a G at GCSE is, but yes, you have a chance.
Reply 1398
Original post by LJ1994
I don't know what a G at GCSE is, but yes, you have a chance.

awwh thanks xx postive rep (y) just wondering do you go there?
Reply 1399
Original post by delzz
awwh thanks xx postive rep (y) just wondering do you go there?

Not yet, but I've got an offer for English at John's. I generally think it's best to give it a shot. You've got four other options to fall back on. I honestly thought I had no chance. Imagine if I hadn't tried. Definitely give it a go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending