The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5020
Original post by iluvmaths
ben ive been seeing u on TSR for quite a bit and i can safely say that i havent actually seen some with the capability u have for ur age. ur aaplied maths is soo out of this world! damn, u missed ur offer! but dont worry, its about what u learn, not where u learn! not all the great mathematicians or physicsts went to Cambridge. take the best example i can give, Einstein! u have potential, dnt let it get u down. anyways, it was cambridges loss!

Here's a few more great modern Mathematicians *cough not-English* who didn't go to Cambridge to emphasize your point:

Gauss, Euler, Hilbert, Grothendieck, Erdös, Riemann, and my personal favorite Grigori Perelman (a man who declined both a fields medal and the millennium prize).

Cambridge attracts great Maths students and offers them a great education, but there are so many other universities that do that as well :smile:
Reply 5021
Original post by ben-smith
I think STEP is a good thing in the sense that it just makes you better at maths but I think it's timing is atrocious. If you get in, great, if you don't you're royally ****ed for accommodation at your insurance (potentially). Even though Cambridge is where I want to be (and also where I think I deserve to be *is a pretentious douche*) I'm not sure I can endure another year of waiting to then find out I missed out by a few marks again. I'm probably going to reapply but to Ox instead.
Just to finish off my really awesome week, I lost my job today :frown:

I don't think you are being pretentious, you probably do belong at Cambridge. Oxford has a much fairer system though, I don't think the test would be a problem for you, and you do get quite a few interviews, my college offered a minimum of 3 interviews, and I was given 4. Good luck!
Scary stuff - Emma just emailed me saying to go to down on the 27th as Mathmos have a 'intro lecture' on the 28th, that's the day before everyone arrives! :tongue: As well as that, I have this workbook thing Rahul speaks of and my first example sheet for my first supervision :eek:
Original post by TheMagicMan
Here are some crazy stats for you: over the last five years every single applicant for Cambridge maths has got an offer and made it. However, no one has got an offer for Oxford maths despite similar numbers of applicants :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That's also true for my school.

But then again, I'm the only Oxbridge maths applicant my school has ever had :ahee:
Original post by hassi94
As well as that, I have [...] my first example sheet for my first supervision :eek:

Cooool what do the questions look like?
Original post by hassi94
Scary stuff - Emma just emailed me saying to go to down on the 27th as Mathmos have a 'intro lecture' on the 28th, that's the day before everyone arrives! :tongue: As well as that, I have this workbook thing Rahul speaks of and my first example sheet for my first supervision :eek:

The workbook is basically some a level revision (to make sure we haven't forgotten everything :colone:) so I'm gonna leave I for a month. I'm reviewing some basic linear algebra right now :smile:

Original post by Lord of the Flies

There are lots on the website if you want some...

I haven't looked yet, I'll have a look tomorrow and quote you back and tell you. I don't fancy having a go at anything now and I know that if I look, I will :tongue:

The workbook is basically some a level revision (to make sure we haven't forgotten everything :colone:) so I'm gonna leave I for a month. I'm reviewing some basic linear algebra right now :smile:

Ah yes just read that in the attached 1 page 'guide' my college sent :tongue:
There are lots on the website if you want some...

Nah, not yet. Was just wondering what his impression was, rather than what the questions actually are. :smile:
Reply 5029
Original post by hassi94

What's that intro lecture? And how did you get your first example sheet? :smile:
Original post by thebot
What's that intro lecture? And how did you get your first example sheet? :smile:

Just some introduction lecture for maths freshers - talk about the Mathematics Tripos at Cambridge and what we'll be doing etc. Emmanuel College sent me the example sheet via email along with all that info :smile:
Reply 5032
Original post by hassi94
Just some introduction lecture for maths freshers - talk about the Mathematics Tripos at Cambridge and what we'll be doing etc.

Odd... that must be Emma-specific, because there's a uni-wide one on 3rd October (which I'll be talking at)! I wonder if/why they'd repeat information.
Original post by nuodai
Odd... that must be Emma-specific, because there's a uni-wide one on 3rd October (which I'll be talking at)! I wonder if/why they'd repeat information.

They tell them to stay in their rooms and study like good boys :tongue:

Wow that's got some ugly stuff on it.

It's the same sheet used every year :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nuodai
Guh :frown: One day you'll look back at all this and laugh.

You know, that's exactly what I do now when I think back how I missed my STEP offer.
Original post by hassi94

congratz btw in getting into Emma :smile:

yh that workbook seems to be more of a refreshment....is the first example sheet the one ben smith posted? might start some work.....as its been a while :tongue:

I just showed this to an Oxford fresher who took STEP for fun (1,1 in II/III) - he fired back - aren't they just STEP questions - he may be right.
Original post by ian.slater
I just showed this to an Oxford fresher who took STEP for fun (1,1 in II/III) - he fired back - aren't they just STEP questions - he may be right.

I think it's easier than step...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending