The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Local unknown supermarket, 16, £4.52 I think? But yeah pretty boring.....
Original post by sr90
So depressing looking at all the responses saying 16-17. How did you guys actually find these vacancies? :/

My local TK Maxx was looking for people for Christmas, my mum picked up an application form for me. I filled it in and got a phone call a few days later, interview, then the job.

It's been hell finding another one though. They didn't renew my contract after Christmas. So I feel your pain :frown: That was January 2010, still looking.
Original post by Lauren Pen
Yeah, coz now you get a quarter of the sales - so if I get £10 worth of orders, that's 2.50 for me.

ah that's not to bad, still not as good pay as it should be though to say the effort you put in!
Primark. I was 16. £4.02 an hour.
A new store was opening in town so I went for an interview. Got a quite nice job as well :smile: I stayed there for two years before I couldn't bear it anymore.
Reply 164
I was 14 & working in a newsagents. Can't remember the pay but it must have only been about £3 an hour if that. I also cleaned an office once a week for £5 an hour and babysat for 3 kids once a week for £4 an hour. All of the jobs were advertised in the newsagent's window. This was around about 1991, I remember cigarettes in the shop were £1.80!

Ironically I know my local deli pay their staff £5 an hour, cigarettes are £7.20. How can the wage stay the same but the cost of living be so much higher!
Reply 165

LOl why did you only do a day in the sales? And how did you get that?

It was a one weekend clearance sale and they were hiring extra staff to cover it because it gets pretty busy, and they wouldn't let me work 2 days because of my age :frown: and i just gave my cv in, they didn't even look at my age til the induction day then tried telling me i couldn't do it any more so i went on about how they'd wasted my time and they let me do it, got £45 for the induction day and the day i worked :biggrin:
Reply 166
Original post by harveydarge
I Work in Jack Wills Islington at the moment and my pay is nowhere near that X_X

Well mine was. I just checked one of my paychecks, are you below 18...might be why?

BoE

400/week
Reply 168
Salon assistant, £2 an hour :frown: 9 hours and no real breaks, I had a 15 minute 'lunch' but I was required to stay inside the staff room so they could shout for me during the break. I was only 15 so I thought it was ok...
Original post by amycu
It was a one weekend clearance sale and they were hiring extra staff to cover it because it gets pretty busy, and they wouldn't let me work 2 days because of my age :frown: and i just gave my cv in, they didn't even look at my age til the induction day then tried telling me i couldn't do it any more so i went on about how they'd wasted my time and they let me do it, got £45 for the induction day and the day i worked :biggrin:

Whoa - that's good!
Reply 170
Aged 14. Used to work for one of my relatives in their news agent. Got paid £2 an hour! :redface:
Had to stock shelves with crisps, top up the drinks fridge, clean the shop floor etc.
Needless to say that job didn't last long!
Reply 171
£3.60 p/h at Pizza Hut . Lasted eight weeks.
I started when I was 17 (am 19 and still work there). I started out at 10/hour, but have worked my way up to 12/hour. I got my job through having traits they were looking for and apparently I'm really good at being an interviewee.
Still in it :P Work in a gift shop for £4.80/hr, it's not too bad, I only work Saturdays. I think who you work with help you cope as well - I love the people I work with.
Reply 174
How old are you? :smile:

16 :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My first experience was working as a room server in this place called the Intercontinental Hotel when i was 17. The pay was pretty low at about $6.50 (3.25 pounds) an hour.
Original post by green chica
I started when I was 17 (am 19 and still work there). I started out at 10/hour, but have worked my way up to 12/hour. I got my job through having traits they were looking for and apparently I'm really good at being an interviewee.

What job?

Original post by Cryptorchid306
Still in it :P Work in a gift shop for £4.80/hr, it's not too bad, I only work Saturdays. I think who you work with help you cope as well - I love the people I work with.

How old were you when you stared? :smile:

Original post by lalala7
16 :smile: Was really lucky as I live in quite a small town. The job was for students and there were over 100 applicants. Have no idea why he decided to choose me!

Lucky :biggrin:

How old were you when you stared? :smile:

I was 16 :smile: Got the job 2 months after my 16th birthday :biggrin:
Sales Assistant in a local bakery, I was 15 and had the job for three years before I got sick of it :h:

Can't remember how much I got paid per hour though, it changed :smile:
Original post by ironandwine
Sales Assistant in a local bakery, I was 15 and had the job for three years before I got sick of it :h:

Can't remember how much I got paid per hour though, it changed :smile:

Original post by Cryptorchid306
I was 16 :smile: Got the job 2 months after my 16th birthday :biggrin:

How did you guys get the jobb?

Latest

Trending

Trending