The Student Room Group

Help choosing A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can say that I chose many of the same A-levels and did want to do history/politics to degree. I am currently studying History, politics and maths to full A-level. I would say only one thing. Chose from the others the one that you are most passionate about and are going to do well in. My mistake was taking maths (I am no good), it has blocked me from going to many universities that i'd like to, namely UCL and Kings London :frown: at the point of applying to uni it is most important that you can do well.
Reply 21
Original post by piano_penguin
Hello :smile:

I'm in a similar situation to you at the moment....we may even want the same course (I'm considering History/History and Politics too)!

I obviously haven't done A levels yet so maybe can't be as much use as some other people here, but I have literally done hours of research and gained the opinions of many to help me decide. I'm still struggling but I think I'll go for History, Latin, Music, Chemistry and Maths/Physics. (Hopefully physics...maths scares me!) :colondollar:

Yes, universities like foreign languages. However, there are lots of subjects they like just as much! Don't feel you should do something just because universities like it. All the subjects you've listed are just as respected (maybe apart from Government & Politics but it's still not bad - just make sure the others are all rigorous). I considered doing french for the same reason as you, but then I realised I hate it! Why would I choose something I hate, pushing out another subject I love? It sounds like you feel a similar way, especially if you are predicted a B in gcse (which isn't bad, but will make the step up harder). :frown:

I would really recommend choosing Maths if you're good at it (predicted at least an A, preferably A*). I have heard from many people that the step up to a level is massive though, so be prepared and ask your teacher whether they honestly think you could do it. I think universities would like the contrast maths provides with your essay subjects, especially if you aren't doing science. As the saying goes, 'maths opens doors'! (That said, I'm still terrified about doing it for AS level. Hopefully they like physics too) :s-smilie:

If you think you can cope with a lot of essays, you could go for English too. As for your worry about English lang/lit being combined, I honestly think there is no problem. English lang is considered softer (softer, not soft!) than lit by most universities, but for example Oxford put the combined course on a par with lit alone. As long as you have lit in there somewhere, don't worry. But again - only do it if you enjoy it!

Thinking of other subjects.....does your school offer economics? Sounds like you may be good at it if you like maths and essays and can be useful with politics. By no means necessary though, just another option to consider. Same goes for philosophy and classical civilisation (presuming you haven't done Latin here, if you had it could be the language you so desire :wink: )

Don't worry about Politics being soft - ok, it isn't on the Trinity Cambridge A list, but that doesn't speak for every university and it's only one subject out of the 4! If you're doing a degree including politics, of course it will be useful and not frowned upon!

From what you've said, I'd go for History, Government and Politics, English Lang/Lit combined and Maths.

But deep down you'll know what you want to do. I think I did. Let me know how it goes, sorry for the essay :rolleyes:

xx

I don't really like French either :frown: so I probs won't do that now as I've read a lot of things and even my teachers admit it's really difficult :/

My school does, and I hadn't really considered it before because I thought it was more to do with Business Studies :smile: and Classics aren't offered at my school.

I think I will do the combined course with English, it seems to reflect my interests better and I'm not sure if I would be able to manage to read all the novels, particularly after seeing the reading list for History and Government and Politics!

Quick Reply

Latest