The Student Room Group

Any degrees similar to ecological economics available at top universities?

Hello,

Basically I'm one of these people that isn't interested in just economics or environment or society, I'm interested in all three. Just so you get an idea of what my interests lean towards; I'd like to study about how institutions might find mutual progression between these three pillars of sustainability (with similar focus as ecological economics). Therefore I'm having difficulty finding a postgrad degree that I think I'd find fulfilling.

If anyone had any similar experience and advice on how they managed to find something interesting, I'd love to read about it.

Thanks, appreciated :smile:.
Reply 1
Hey, I am about to start undergraduate study so sorry to intrude. However, I also share you interests!

I have done a little research into this and courses I have found are:

Environment & Sustainable Development @ University of Glasgow

Many universities do Ecological Economics, including Leeds and Edinburgh, which may fulfill your interests.

Can I ask what you studied at undergrad considering your interests? My main issue is that many degrees in this area are either predominantly economics or ecological and lack the depth of study which questions the construction and development of society.

Thanks.

Glen
Reply 2
Edinburgh has a great EE offering. I study on a related course at Leeds and it's worth noting that there's very little actual economics to the ecological economics masters. They do one economics module in the first semester which was a bit of a shambles this year (real mix of level across the module and very little structure) and then there's a methods module in the second semester. I'm taking that methods module and it's not really an econ module except for the first 1/4, which is on environmentally extended input-output analysis. We do some IPAT/STIRPAT stuff, and then system dynamics and ABM.

And it's not just that there aren't required econ modules: they're simply not available. I think there's one option for a welfare economics module in the first semester. And you're required to take 'Intro to Sustainability' and a module on environmental governance and sustainability. Both allow some superficial study into economics issues (mostly in terms of policy instruments), but the module leaders aren't economists by any stretch. That all being said, if you have a background in economics and want to do more in terms of studying sustainability, there are definitely some strong ecological economics academics here with whom you could do your dissertation.
Reply 3
Have you had a look at Sustainable Development Postgrad courses at St Andrews?
I'm doing the undergrad MA and I really enjoy it, there is a strong emphasis on interdisciplinarity. However, it doesn't look like the PG involves much econ. Might be worth a look though?

Prospectus: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/admissions/pgdocuments/prospectuspg/2013-2014/Sustainable%20Development%20Leaflet%20-%202013%20Entry.pdf

PhD topics: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/gsd/opportunities/pg/sd/

Additionally, there are some people within SASI with an economics background or related backgrounds, you may be able to arrange to do a PhD under their supervision. http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sasi/people/

Hope you find a suitable course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending